1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help on after market single din receiver

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bebopblues, May 3, 2011.

1. May 3, 2011 at 2:24 AM
    bebopblues

bebopblues [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    I'm looking for a single din receiver with these features:

- $200 or under
    - Must works with tacoma steering wheel controls (Vol +/-, Track up/down, Mode)
    - Bluetooth 2.0, A2DP for phone calls and audio streaming from my android device
    - Rear dedicated subwoofer output
    - Rear AUX/MP3 input (front AUX input would be a bonus)
    - Rear USB port (this is not a must have, it's only for charging the phone)

I don't plan to play any CD/MP3 from the receiver so I don't care for the CD player or MP3 support. All music will be streamed from my android device so I just need the receiver to receive audio from my Android device either via bluetooth or AUX port.

So far, I only found this Kenwood KDC-BT945U, but I'm not 100% sure the steering wheel controls will work with it. I guess I also need this PAC SWI-Jack kit to make it work, right?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

2. May 7, 2011 at 8:02 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Check out Crutchfield.com. That website should be able to help narrow down your search.

3. May 7, 2011 at 8:17 AM
    bebopblues

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    Thanks, I did. If you look at the link of the Kenwood receiver I mentioned, it is linked to crutchfield. I'm just not 100% sure that the receiver will support the Tacoma's steering wheel controls.

4. May 7, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    yea the kenwood will support it the steering wheel interface you will have to get the pac audio one or the axxess one although a few of the taco owners have had problems installing the axxess one but ima tear my radio out and take photos of how install it hopefully later this week. ive been installing for 11 yrs and the axxess is one of the easier one to use fyi at least thats my opinion.

5. May 7, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    oh yea another cool thing about that kenwood you are looking at is that it will not only do bluetooth phone it will do bluetooth audio i was able to stream pandora on my buddys via bluetooth and it allowed me to skip through the songs from the radio i did that with a blackberry curve fyi i havent tried it with my epic yet

6. May 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    bebopblues

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    Did you ever get bluetooth connection problems with that kenwood? From the reviews, some people said that it drops bluetooth connections or doesn't auto reconnect when they are in the car.

7. May 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Pioneer and Sony HU's will also work, but you will need a control modual interface that runs about $75. I have a Pioneer and my steering wheel controls work fine.

8. May 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    double dee

double dee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
  9. May 9, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    bebopblues

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC/SB
    Not sure if it matters to you, but I think I read a review saying one of the differences was the BT6xx models supports voice commands for the phone, while the BT9xx models does not. But then he also says for some reason the BT6xx models doesn't support contacts from the phone.:notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top