1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering Rack Leak/Rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Gonzoso, May 4, 2011.

1. May 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    Gonzoso

Gonzoso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    2000 5spd 2.7L 4x4
    Tool box, Bedliner, Not too much yet as I bought it 4/28.
    I have a leak coming from my steering rack, the top where all the fluid lines run into the control valve assembly. It looks bad down there but it really doesn't leak all that much.

I'm fairly mechanically savvy but I've never done one before, has anyone here done the rebuild? I found the rebuild kit here for 30$ shipped.
    http://www.amazon.com/Edelmann-8790...e=Toyota|76&Year=2000|2000&newCar=1&carId=001

And the directions here. It seems pretty straightforward, but is it really a pain in the ass to do? Is it worth rebuilding it? I'd rather not spend all that money on a whole new one if I can just rebuild it. It looks like it requires a press and some specialty tools, is there any way I can jury rig some stuff? If I absolutely have to I know a guy with a shop down the road I can take stuff to use the press.

2. May 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM
    Stout890

Stout890 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Palmdale ca
    Vehicle:
    99 prerunner sr5
    10" sub, OME881 on Bilstein's, 3" all-pro leaf springs with billies in the back, JBA UCA's, bed cover with custom LED lighting, k&n intake and DT headers, OEM E-locker in the rear. 32" BFG KO2 on steel D window wheels, suicide knob. rebuilt 3RZ w/ stage 1 cam and balance shaft delete . big 3 mod, all new suspension and body mount bushings. cat back magnaflow exhaust.
    im am interested in this answer as well because i have a nice little leak on my rack aswell. it doesn't drip its just all sludged up. i sprayed it with break cleaner and ill keep an eye on it to see where it leaks from. hopefully its no big deal to rebuild it.

3. May 12, 2011 at 1:36 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Do It! and make a write up, this would be a good alternative to
    replacing one, local shops want like 700+ for that job...

4. May 12, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    Gonzoso

Gonzoso [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    NE PA
    Vehicle:
    2000 5spd 2.7L 4x4
    Tool box, Bedliner, Not too much yet as I bought it 4/28.
    That's how mine is. It isn't a fast leak at all. I've had the truck for two weeks now and it has not left a drip on my driveway or decreased the amount of fluid in the reservoir. Mine leaks from the top, where the shaft goes into the thing that bolts on the top that I forgot the name of and am too lazy too look up.

But the rebuild kit is like 30$ vs. 300+ for a new unit.

I am an env. scientist and that gets me into trouble. I've done a lot of technical crap so I will think to myself "Well I can complete and analysis on the chromium and arsenic concentration in saw dust, or zinc in soil using atomic absorption spectroscopy, so (insert massively complex mechanical task here) should be easy." So far it's worked out mostly:eek:

My understanding of it is that you pull the rack, mark everything that can move, then there are like 10 or so seals and o-rings inside the unit. Some of them need a specialty tool to pull them, and a press to put them in. The finished product is supposed to be air tight and they are tested by putting the unit under vacuum. It's like 6 pages in the factory service manual.

The biggest PIA appears to be the seals in the bottom part of the assembly, where the Inner tie rods go. Now mine leaks from the top. So I think that I cold just pull the unit, them pull the top assembly and rebuild that and not mess with those pressed seals. Then I have to ask myself if I am just doing that, does that mean there is maybe some way to just pull the top unit and not pull the whole rack?

5. Feb 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM
    Fullspeed

Fullspeed New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    97 4x4 Tacoma
    Good job looking this up. What ever happen with this? I have 97 4x4 with leaking control valve.

6. Sep 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    ToyoTaco06

ToyoTaco06 Active Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 Short box
    6" Lift, 35's
    Too far:bored:

7. Sep 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    your gonna need some special seal tools..if you dont have them the best thing to do is get a reman rack.

EB Group likes this.
  8. Jun 13, 2022 at 4:50 PM
    Carter Tacoma 03

Carter Tacoma 03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carter
    Vehicle:
    2003 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Prerunner 2WD 2.7L L4
    I know it’s been a while but do you have any pictures of where the leaks was coming from? Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top