1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chocolate Lab: How much did you guys pay for a pup?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by 2KTacoPr3runn3r, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :( Hope he recovers quickly

2. May 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    2KTacoPr3runn3r

2KTacoPr3runn3r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Petaluma
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Ram 1500
    Bilstein 5100 adjustables, 2 inch top plate spacer, bilstein 5100 rears and 2 inch blocks. Flowmaster super 10 with dual 4 inch tips.
    thats too bad. hope all goes well. those stories kinda make me paranoid because if something does happen to my dog my job doesnt pay all that well so it worries me haha

3. May 7, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Me too!! My girlfriend got me insurance for him for my last birthday. I teased her for it but am now very glad she did. They're going to pick up 90% of the bill. That looks like you have a golden in your signature?

Edit: nvm, I looked at your pictures, he's a good looking yellow lab!

4. May 7, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    She was a golden/lab cross. She was a great companion. Had to put her down on 18 Feb :( and Annie is lonely - which is why I'm looking for a choc lab.

5. May 7, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Dogs can be very very expensive! You have to be ready for anything. Watch an episode of "My dog ate what" and put yourself in that situation. They can be trained to leave things alone but it's a process and they'll inevitably get into some sort of trouble. My dog ate a PS2 controller, killed a coffee maker, ate the iron electrical cord (not plugged in thankfully), shredded a phone book and destroys dog toys in minutes (indestructible my ass). They're a big commitment!

We decided to go with a pure bred for a few reasons. The rescues around here are mostly pits (which I don't mind but because we rent, we couldn't have our dog's breed determine where we could live). If you do your homework and find a good blood line, hopefully the pure bred you get will have a better health history and avoid serious genetic diseases like hip displyasia and eye problems (I can't remember the name of the disease that labs are prone to). Plus, you get that inherent temperment and personality that comes with a lab. You can get the temperment through a rescue and have a really great dog, but you do take a slightly higher risk with the health concerns. I've had plenty of rescues in my life also and they've all been great dogs. I've also had pure breds develop the health problems I listed above even though we took great care to find a good, reputable breeder.

6. May 7, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    jgwheeler17

jgwheeler17 I'm a zit. Get it?

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab TRD Off-Road 4x4
    neglect, mostly.
    im with the gang on this one, especially if you don't need it to be textbook duck retrieval, and stuff like that i would keep it to $500 or below. every dog i've ever owned has been a stray and have always loved them to death. believe it or not a black lab puppy (less than 6 months old) just showed up at our house about 8 months ago. now he's getting BIG! vet said he is probably full blooded, but he's starting to get brown patches along his backside and stuff, really odd, but who cares?!!! he's a great dog with lots of energy (and an appetite!!)

here's a pic of him about a month ago riding on the back of my brothers toolbox up to the house. (we werent going very far at all so you know)

i love this picture, just makes me laugh. after yelling at him for trying to climb through the window he just settled right here like hes just sitting at the bar waiting to be served haha!
    [​IMG]

7. May 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm sorry to hear that! It's amazing how close you end up getting to your dogs. I can't imagine not having a dog, they're always happy to see you and can always cheer you up.

8. May 7, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Cute pic

9. May 7, 2011 at 6:56 PM
    brannman

brannman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD
    labs are probably the best dog in my opinion. my parents have 2. a choc and a yellow. both from a local breeder and they were 500. when you get em at the minimum age they are easier to train (house, not hunting). they will love you for life and become your best friends.

good luck with the purchase

10. May 7, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    ImpulseRed008

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. She was a great companion. and one does get very attached to a dog.

That's why I got Annie 5 years ago... so I'd never be dogless :eek: Don't know what I'd do without Annie right now... and she misses having a buddy.

11. May 7, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    BERTHDZ

BERTHDZ KF5TUQ

Member:
    First Name:
    Bert
    Pharr, TX - RGV
    Vehicle:
    02 v6 SR5 TRD Off Road
    3" Body Lift, Fabtech 6" Lift, XD Series 17x9" Revolver Rims, 35x12.50r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
    I paid $200 for my full bread AKC yellow lab and also $200 for my full bread unregistered tri colored beagle

12. May 7, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    I recently bought a yellow lab for $500. I felt that's high for a dog, but after doing a lot of research I found they can be anywhere from $200-$2000 with an avg price of $850. I found a breeder that was pretty good, some made breeding dogs their sole income, and the dogs seemed kinda wild. I'm really happy with my Lab, I take her to the park couple times a week and ppl with other labs coment on how well behaved she is for being so young.

I also volunteered at a no kill shelter for a few yrs. You can find great dogs there. But you can also find trouble. My mom almost lost her arm walking a pit mix that was on the adoption floor. I searched all our local shelters but all I found was Pit mixes, and I didnt want that. And we wanted a puppy, they were all pit mixes as well. That's why we turned to finding a breeder. My family always adopted dogs, and some have been ok, others not so much. Luckily they have a lot of land and it's too much of a problem. Personaly I think it all comes down to training.

13. May 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Here's a pic BTW

[​IMG]

14. May 8, 2011 at 12:54 AM
    ggreen

ggreen Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM TRD Sport DC Shortbed 4x4
    Icon Suspension Lift, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Exhaust (Powder Coated Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats
    I love labs! haha

I paid $800 for mine and it was money well spent. She is the closest thing I have or want to have to a kid right now.

Pugga - My dog tore her cruciate ligament in her left knee [sounds like what happened to your dog] about 1.5 years ago, only I didn't have doggy insurance. Between the several consultations and the actual surgery it cost me around ~$4500. Ouch, right!? But what you gonna do... If you have any questions about anything send me a PM

In terms of temperament and overall loving attitude of a labrador, you just can't go wrong in my opinion.

15. May 8, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's exactly what he did, I couldn't think of the name of it! We got quoted 4 options, "Wait and see if it heals on it's own" and 3 surgery options ranging from $1,800 to $3,500. Do you remember which procedure you went with and how the results were? We're struggling doing a lot of research on what to do. We're leaning towards a procedure called TPLO (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) based on what we've read.

16. May 8, 2011 at 6:42 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    I paid $260 for my black lab. The breader had 10 puppies. All the yellow and chocolate labs went first. No body wanted the black female so he gave me a good price on her. Best dog ever

17. May 8, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    toyotatacomaTRD

toyotatacomaTRD Senior Member

Member:
    My yellow lab was $650. Cost I am sure varies by location, one thing to look for in labs is to make sure they are AKC registered and OFA certified. Hips in labs can go bad, OFA means the mother and fathers lines have no history of hip problems. A certified vet looks at the hips to make sure.

Also, I have always been told to never buy a dog that has been bred by 2 chocolates. I guess they have all kinds of health problems.. My cousin found that out the hard way. They had to put their 3 year old chocolate down because he could barely walk. Pretty sad to see.

18. May 8, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    btuner

btuner <<<<>>>>

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stage III TRD Badge
    Yeah the lab rescue is at petsmart every sat. I know a couple people that have gotten ones from them and they are great dogs. Good way to save some good pups

19. May 8, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    ggreen

ggreen Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM TRD Sport DC Shortbed 4x4
    Icon Suspension Lift, TRD Cold Air Intake, TRD Exhaust (Powder Coated Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers, Weathertech Mats
    I tried the 'wait and see' method' for 3 weeks, if it really is a cruciate ligament tear its only gonna get fixed surgically. Poor dog would limp badly at night after any exercise during the day.

After doing a ton a research and trying to find every option I went with the TPLO procedure even though it sounded pretty invasive because it yielded the best chances of her returning back to 'normal'. The toughest part by far is the recovery. Trying to keep a young lab down and quiet is a challenge. Your supposed to keep your dog from running and jumping for the first 4-6 weeks. Basically anything that to reaggravate the knee as its healing.

Looking back on it, it was a tough month or so, but completely worth it. She has completely recovered and is 100% back to herself.

One last thing, if you elect to go the surgical route, make sure to see if those quotes cover the follow-ups. There were 3 additional follow up visits to the vet to make sure everything was healing well which includes having some x-rays taken. I imagine this could add up fast if it's not including in the price.

20. May 8, 2011 at 1:29 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Thanks for the info! I'm trying to get opinions from anyone I can about the procedures. It's a tough decision but it's good to know that after the recovery he can be back to normal.

Thanks again!

Products Discussed in

To Top