1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone used Eastwood rust converter/rust encapsulator?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hamNswiss on rye, May 10, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    hamNswiss on rye

hamNswiss on rye [OP] ¡Yo Quiero Taco World!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Scottsdale, AZ/Portland, ME
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 Access Cab
    OME 885's and billies all around, allpro apex front bumper, Nfab tire carrier, black magic rallye 1000 driving lights, custom back to the future light rack, KC LED Daylighters, PIAA 510 fogs, bed lights, satoshi, 285/70/17 Duratracs
    with a helpful hint in this thread, i ended up on the Eastwood site with hopes of finding some products to prepare my taco for a summer of sitting by the salty ocean. has anyone used these products? im thinking of just cleaning the frame/basically everything thats rusting with a wire brush, hitting it with the 'rust converter' then with the 'rust encapsulator.' i know very little about this sort of thing, so any help is appreciated. will this be fairly sufficient? am i missing any necessary steps? is there anything i should avoid painting? thanks

rust converter

rust encapsulator

2. May 15, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Yep, I've used the eastwood rust encapsulator on my previous 05 Tacoma. Works real good, sticks well and dries fast!! I never had rust come through the areas I painted!

3. May 15, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    SplitDecision

SplitDecision Phones Ringin Dude

Member:
    First Name:
    Haywood Jablowme
    NY
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100x4, Truxedo lo pro QT,Hid Retro,2011 painted grill,Alpine head unit,Foglight mod,NFAB steps
    I have used the rust encapsulator on the rusty ford frame with success. I also used the extreme chassis black to paint the frame on my Tacoma. It held up great through winter #1.HTH

4. Jan 14, 2013 at 5:40 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Necro-thread bump! To you guys who have used Eastwood products, how is it holding up? I'm looking into some sort of frame treatment for my 2007. I've done nothing but wash it so far so it needs some love! I've considered Fluid Film (actually even bought the undercoating kit) but have decided not to go that route. It's a great product, and I'll find other uses for it, but I tested it on the hitch and some other parts and it seems to collect road grime. If I paint the whole frame, it would be disgusting to do any work under the truck and, since I do all my own maintenance and try to do all my own repairs, I don't want that. I was also looking into POR-15 but it is very expensive and requires multiple steps to apply correctly (degreaser, metal-ready, paint and top coat). I'm assuming with the Eastwood stuff I could wire wheel or wire brush the heavy stuff off, wash the frame with a degreaser then just cover with the products below:

Rubberized Rust Encapsulator:
    http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rubberized-rust-encapsulator-blk-aero-15-oz.html
    Internal Frame Treatment for the boxed sections of the frame:
    http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame-coating-w-spray-nozzle.html

So, to you guys who have used Eastwood products, how's it holding up?

5. Jan 14, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    itsakeeper

itsakeeper Well-Known Member

Member:
    nova scotia
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5
    POR15 is the best I have ever used - its all in the prep work and is Not a paint, you have to follow the directions but it will stop rust in its tracks. If the surface already has paint on it this is not the product to use.

6. Jan 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's another strike for POR-15. My frame is rusty but there are still parts of it that have the paint still in tact and in good condition. I'm not going to go down to bare metal, I just want to stop the rust from progressing and protect the metal from future damage. POR-15 seems like a nice product, just not for my application.

7. Jan 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Bump, who's using Eastwood products??

8. Jan 24, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Bump :help:

9. Jan 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    One more shot in the dark bump. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on something, haven't decided how I'm going to tackle the rust issue yet though.

10. Feb 1, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    Geoff C

Geoff C Active Member

Member:
    I just got my truck but I'm gonna do the Eastwood Internal Frame treatment and then the Extreme Chassis Black on everything else. After that cures I'll probably go with the Fluid Film.

If you already have rust I'd wire wheel it, use the rust converter, then cover it with the Encapsulator.

The internet is a great resource but I think sometimes it makes us look into things too much. Just figure whatever method you choose is better than doing nothing at all.

11. Feb 1, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    Nacho Muchacho

Nacho Muchacho Member

Member:
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Toytec OME lift 885 coils and TSB add a leaf. Light Racing upper control arms. CBI Sliders w/ kickouts. 265 75 16 Duratracs. Toyota bed mat and weathertech digifits
    I haven't used any eastwood products. However, I can highly recommend rust bullet.

I learned about it through the ih8mud forums from people trying to salvage fj40s. I used it on the fj40 tub two years ago.

Doesn't take anywhere near the prep as por. This was what tipped the scale in rust bullet's favor for me.

12. Feb 1, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    Bump for more info as well. I'm with Pugga, more reviews/experiences would be appreciated. Need to do something to protect me recently brand new frame from all the salt and garbage on the roads up here in rustachusetts.

13. Feb 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM
    Geoff C

Geoff C Active Member

Member:
    If you are going to do anything with paint I would wait till the spring, unless you have a heated garage. Paint will never cure properly at these temps.

14. Feb 1, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Thanks for the info Geof, I think I'm going with Eastwood. I do plan to wire wheel or wire brush the frame, do the rust convertor then the encapsulator.

Nacho, I did come across Rust Bullet in my research also. Seemed like an interesting product! The prep is what is pushed me away from POR also. Seems if you don't get it perfect, you don't get great results.

15. Feb 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    lawless

lawless the rent is too damn high

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
  16. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    @OP, Pugga

Did you end up using any of the Eastwood products? If so, would you mind posting an update how it held up so far and how you prepped the frame? Thanks.

I have some light surface rust that I need to touch up and I'm still unsure what to use. Considered POR15, but as you concluded, probably not the best product in my case as I have most of the frame still intact with factory paint. Once done, I'm planning to fluid film the frame annually.

Here is what I have in mind for my repair:
    1) Clean, wire brush, clean (maybe Eastwood PRE Painting Prep?)
    2) Eastwood Rust Converter (where aplicable after wire brushing)
    3) Eastwood Rust Encapsulator
    4) Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black - Satin
    5) Fluid Film

Here is my thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/289178-07-frame-rust-pics-what-best-way-fix.html

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  17. Aug 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Well, to be honest, life happened and I haven't done anything yet :eek: I have messed with some stuff on my receiver to try some things out in small areas before undertaking the whole frame. I actually found that Rustoleum Rust Tough Enamel seems to cover pretty well. Fluid Film does not even last a year so I won't coat my frame with that, maybe as a top coat or a maintenance coat. I am planning on using Eastwood encapsulator for the inside of the frame and Rustoleum prime and paint for the outside. I was going to go for something more durable, something that would last longer but in all honesty, I won't own the truck long enough to see the second coating wear away, at least not if I keep up with a Fluid Film top coat.

18. Aug 7, 2013 at 1:43 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Yeah fluid film is junk, all it did for me was collect a nice amount of dirt and grime, and made it really difficult to clean.

19. Aug 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I sprayed my receiver and it was bare in less than a year, like cleaned off, no trace of it left anywhere. I never had to do anything to clean it off, the shit just disappeared! It's collecting a lot of grime in areas that don't see road spray though...

20. Aug 7, 2013 at 2:22 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Interesting. From my research I know that it drips initially, and that it disappears eventually therefore it needs to be applied annually, but I was under the impression it does not collect too much grime. (some yes)

There are a few other similar products to Fluid Film such as Eastwood HD Anti Rust, Rust Check Rust Inhibitor or Coat and Protect, or Krown T40 Rust Inhibitor, but they may collect grime and dirt just as much. :notsure:

I'm ok with the fact it needs to be reaplied if it does its job well, but I'm not too excited about the reports of it collecting dirt...

Products Discussed in

To Top