1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Towing in sand

Discussion in 'Towing' started by KeithB, May 10, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    KeithB

KeithB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Anyone have any experience towing a trailer in the sand. Planning to haul my Hobie catamaran to Cape Cod this summer to do some sailing. Getting an overland beach driving pass for the week and plan to launch right off the beach. Probably have to tow through the coarse loose sand for about 1/2 mile. Just wondering if anyone can give me some tips. Trailer and boat + gear is about 1000 - 1100 pounds. Trailer has 22" tall x 5.3" wide tires. Truck is Sport TRD 4x4 V6 lifted 2.5" via coilovers and AAL with 265/70R17 tires (32"). Should I use 4 low? Plan to air down tires to 10 psi but what about the trailer tires, will that make a difference? Will it be difficult to back up (probably not necessary to back up as I have a beach dolly to move the boat from trailer to water but still wondering). Anything else I might need to consider?

2. May 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I wouldn't worry about the trailer tires. We used to launch a hobie cat at the beach and never aired down the trailer tires.

3. May 10, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Stay in four hi, and if you feel like you need to air the trailer down too, floatation is the key and you dont want to have to drag the trailer through sand.

4. May 10, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    I would air down the trailer tires too. But if not you should still be fine.

5. May 10, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    Question for my friends here. Why air the tires down? Are they pushing or pulling anything. NOPE! Listen OP dont air the tires down on truck or trailer. Keep it in 4HI. I live on the Gulf and house sits next to beach. Like to spend my weekends picking up a few extra bucks pulling people out of the. If I can pull multiple cars in excess of 5000lbs off the beach without airing down any tires I think you will be ok. Oh just remember the tides!

stuck.jpg

6. May 10, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You air down so you spread your weight out more and have less of a chance of sinking. The pressure in your tires is roughly equivilent to the pressure the ground sees from your tires. You get better floatation at 10 psi vs. 30 psi. You may be able to get by without airing down the truck tires in some cases but it depends on the where you are, sand is not the same everywhere.

7. May 10, 2011 at 3:14 PM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    The tire is only 5.3 inches wide. I dont think airing it down is really gonna help considering the truck is dragging it across the sand regardless of how much air is in the tire. The coarse sand is easier to get arond in unlike the fine powder sugar sand we have here. OP you decide and oh remember after you air the tires down dont forget to air them back up for your trip back.

8. May 10, 2011 at 3:25 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    ... OP air down your tires

9. May 10, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    navysealboy93

navysealboy93 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Fort Lewis, WA
    Vehicle:
    Isuzu Trooper
    ARB front bumper, wagon wheels, 235/85 wranger's, OME 1.5 in. lift and Dakar springs.
    X2

10. May 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '19 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD OR
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    Depending on where you're planning on driving, you'll probably be required to air down. Where are you headed - Race Point? Sandy Neck?

11. May 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco â•’â•Şâ••

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    x2...Will be much easier with the trailer tires aired down. if you don't it's like pulling a sled through the sand.

If you want to get stuck, listen to this guy ^

12. May 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    KeithB

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Headed to Race Point to enter the sand then out to the light house to launch the boat. Family always heads to Herring Cove beach and it's a short sail to Herring Cove from the light house. Thought about launching out of Province town or the Pamet River launch off Depot Rd in Truro but it's a 5 or 8 mile sail to get to Herring Cove from those spots. Figured it would be easier to launch off the beach (National Seashore actually recommended it). Can't take a trailer into Herring Cove parking lot or that would be my first choice. Like I said, I have the dolly to move the boat from trailer to water over the sand.

13. May 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    KeithB

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    Didn't mean for this to turn into a air down or not debate. I'm airing down the truck for sure. Just wondered about the trailer tires and anything else I might need to know.

14. May 11, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    gonzo6up

gonzo6up Well-Known Member

Member:
    Middle Tn
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma SR5 4x4 sport
    tint/ vent visors/ seatbelt chime mod/ DTRL Mod
    as light as the trailer is i wouldn't worry about much except airing down the truck tires some. just my .02

15. May 11, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Air down all tires! Easier on all equipment...

Products Discussed in

To Top