1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maxed out with ski boat. Performance?

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Babatoni, May 11, 2011.

1. May 13, 2011 at 6:07 AM
    Babatoni

Babatoni [OP] Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 V6

I do have a class 3 hitch, with the 7 prong connectors and trailer brake wiring. I added the hitch and wiring aftermarket when I bought the truck.

2. May 13, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    that was on their web site and some good bass boats are not light look at a ranger http://www.rangerboats.com/models.cfm?gid=29&mid=6010
    that my roomates boat fully loaded its around 3500lbs we have the dual console with a 250hp vmax and two 20 gallon tanks

3. May 13, 2011 at 7:20 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Your adding up the max payload, and the weight of the boat. That doesnt give you the weight of the boat on the trailer, unless you and your buddies are riding around in the boat, while someone is towing it, and you guys to the lake....

4. May 13, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    the max weight is 475 lbs after gear and one person which is dumb because the boat holds 4 people ... that are all 125 lbs each .... unlikely that will ever happen
    [​IMG]
    all that gear goes in the boat all under the deck crazy how it all has a spot

5. May 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    Babatoni

Babatoni [OP] Member

Member:
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 V6
    Well I think I got more than i barganed for on this post! Sorry for introducing some of you to others. Thanks for some of the good advice. Seems there is a bit of confusion about the ratings. My truck is an Sr5 4x4 double 4.0 double cab. It does not have the TRD package and is rated to 3500lbs. The TRD is rated to 6500. I have added a class 3 hitch rated to 5000, 7 prong connectors and brake control. In response to a few posts int the second page, Some boat trailers, like the one i am cosidering pulling, are no "little" boat trailers. The rig I am looking at pulling is a 19.5 Mastercraft 190. it weighs 2500lbs, trailer weighs 600lbs, and is 24' long. Trailer is tandem axle with surge brakes. Yes some "little" boat trailer have brakes! I think I will look at the load a little closer to the time, as well the truck itself may be loaded, as I have a cargo rack which i am intending carrying my aluminum boat on top. I will be pushing the load capacity, don't think I will be exceeding it. I will let you all know if I make the Haul! The trip is a 4-5 hour trip, about 1.5 in the hills.

6. May 14, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    Don't apologize. These guys have been having the same arguement in another thread. Same insults. Summer re-runs are here. The tow rating for V6 is based on whether you have the tow package or not. Not SR5 or TRD. You should look into getting a transmission cooler and supplimental engine oil cooler if you're going to tow 90+ deg weather. You've got the 5000lb. hitch and brakes on the trailer so that's covered.

7. May 15, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    bigmooze

bigmooze Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system

I have a 2009 4.0L V6 SR5 access cab. Different sources told me different thigs about the towing capacity of my truck, so I e-mailed Toyota Canada.

I asked about the rating of my specific VIN, and was told that 5000 lb was the number. I didn't buy a tow package truck, but it does have heavy duty alternator, tranny cooler and HD battery. It doesn't have the engine oil cooler though.

According to the e-mail, "all Canadian specification vans and trucks come equipped with the towing package."

I added a 7-pin harness after my factory 4-pin corroded away, and installed the wiring for trailer brakes myself.

Products Discussed in

To Top