1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ok I finished my wish list. I miss anything?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chad68, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Nov 4, 2007 at 9:25 AM
    chad68

chad68 [OP] Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Next Christmas I'm planning on buying a white 08 or 09 Tacoma, regular cab, 4x4, four banger stick and this is the mods I'm doing, immediatly after I drive it off the lot, well ok after the break in period.

Pro Comps model 1069 polished 16x8" 4.0" back space (with locking lugs)
    Super Swamper TSL/SX 32x11.50 16 (I realize they are loud and wear fast)
    3" front lift, with a 1/2" or 1" block for the rear.
    Exhaust, nothing loud, just deep and mellow.
    Polished tip
    Short antenna
    Tint on all 3.
    Aluminium pedal covers
    Aluminium front skid plate
    Different shift knob.
    K&N drop in filter.
    Locking gas cap
    Chrome and black grill (just like the V6's)

Since nobody makes a roll pan, I'm doing my own mod with polished diamond plate on the stock rear bumper, I'm making my myself. It will replace/cover the plastic pieces. Although I might not do this, since I'm not a huge fan of diamond plate.

Also while surfing E-Bay they had HID Xenon headlights for $300 (black housing). Anybody have anything to say about these good or bad? I'm worried they will eventually fog up.

Does anybody make a 3M type clear bra protector for the front bottom of the doors and the back of the rear fenders? I know how crapy todays factory paint is. If not I can cut my own.

Is there anything anybody would add to this list?

2. Nov 4, 2007 at 3:28 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    In regards to the HID lights, there were a couple of threads a while back about the HID lights and their lack of compatibility with the Stock Tacoma lenses. That said I was also under the impression that anything south of $800.00 was junk as far as HID lights go. But I am sure that before mid day tomorrow someone else who did bookmark that thread and with more knowledge regarding the HID lights will chime in and clarify what I am saying.

As far as the K&N goes. There have been multiple members reporting MAF sensor problems after installing a K&N or similar wet gauze type filter. Seems that the oil, even a factory oiling (not talking about the end user who was heavy handed on the re-oil) blows through the filter and collects on the MAF sensor. Check with 007tacoma about this.

The rest of your list seems pretty good to me, but I am not that much of a lift and tire guy so I am sure others will have more valuable input regarding that.

3. Nov 4, 2007 at 3:47 PM
    Dcrooks84

Dcrooks84 Sir Anal Loin of Beef

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab SR5 Pkg #8 lng bd 4X4
    Removed secondary air filter, Fog light anytime, Map light mod, Scan Gauge II, Polished Stainless Steel Westin E-Series Bull Bar, Black GrilleCraft Grille, Borla CatBack Exhaust
    I was also asking about HID on here not that long ago and was given this site as a good one to get them from http://www.coast2coastperf.com/ they are under the lighting tab. Right now they are backordered though, but judging by your list you are planning on spreading this over a period of time. I know what lights you are talking about on Ebay but I have heard nothing about those or seen them in action. As far as I know right now they probably aren't with the time to even look at right now.
    I suggest a borla exhaust for the truck. It has a nice purr but isnt overpowering and is well built with a 1,000,000 mile warranty.
    And just a question on why you are gonna get a locking gas cap. I was talking to some local authorities around my area and they told me that when someone targets a vehicle they don't care if it has the locking gas cap or not. If it does that will just climb under it a little and stab a hole into the gas tank and just drain it into a portable tank:eek:. So consider this one wisely.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Nov 4, 2007 at 4:18 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    Thanks for the replies. I have put locking gas caps on all my cars, even my 350Z which of course has an in cabin realease for the fuel door. It's not for people stealing gas but to help discourage somebody from pouring foreign substances into the tank. If the motors goes from something like that, warranty ain't gonna cover it and I don't want to find out if insurance would.

5. Nov 4, 2007 at 5:12 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    I agree with you Chad about the locking gas cap. I put one on every one of my vehicles including my taco. I do it to keep the mischevious from putting stuff in the tank.

6. Nov 4, 2007 at 10:07 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    as far as the headlights go, i was looking at the HID projector set on ebay after i melted one of my stock headlights trying the BHLM. i decided the projectors were too ricey looking so i got another oem headlight and completed the black headlight mod with no problems, and it looks sexy as hell. the bhlm looks good on every color tacoma too, plus you dont have to worry about fitment issues because it's an oem piece

7. Nov 4, 2007 at 10:34 PM
    pivitol

pivitol Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 TRD Off-Road V-6 4WD de-flapped
    Speaking of ricey looking check these out

ricer.jpg
    ricer exhaust.jpg

8. Nov 5, 2007 at 5:59 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    :laugh: reminds me of the VW GTI commercials of late...

V-Dub in da house! :p

9. Nov 5, 2007 at 6:16 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I had a number of K&N High-Flow Air Filters over the years. Most of them weren't an issue, but when I got to vehicles that had MAF (Mass AirFlow) sensors that were near the filter I started having issues.

The most recent issue that I have had is with the AFE Drop-In (Oiled Gauze) filter that I put in my 2.7L Tacoma. I got the AFE because it is proven to filter better than the K&Ns (you do lose some flow, but not enough to justify a K&N). It had the same problem I had on my Jetta TDI - the MAF Sensor got fouled up by the oil blow-by from the filter.

In the Jetta TDI, it was far enough out of spec that it threw a CEL/MIL on the dash, and I knew what was wrong via computer code. I had to replace the MAF at $89 (discount from $200!).

The Tacoma was a bit more tricky. The fuel economy became irregular and dropped about 2-4 MPG across the board. It never threw a CEL/MIL since the MAF was technically still within specifications (according to the dealership). They wanted to replace it a rediculous cost to me (since the filter was the cause). Luckily there is a simple solution to that. I cleaned it with Electronics Cleaner (Radio Shack), and that seems to have resolved the issue. The filter no longer blows off oil since the excess has been blown off in the past 6,000-7,000 miles. ;)

I still like my filter as it makes for great acceleration over 3,000 RPMs, but I would probably try a Dry Foam filter next time before I buy another Oiled Gauze filter.

I hope this helps. :D

10. Nov 5, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Hmmm that's weird that the tac's MAF is so sensitive even with the factory's applied oil. I know some guys on the 350Z forum who had the same issues but was determined it was due to them over oiling it. I have a K&N style conical style guauze filter on my Z that I have re-oiled and have never had an issue with the sensor.

11. Nov 5, 2007 at 7:38 AM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:

Those Halo's on e-bay really do look pretty ricey. I didn't even see these the first time. These are a lot less cheesy looking and 130 bucks cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...ryZ33710QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also decided I'm just going to replace the rear bumper with a chrome one, since that flat black paint will get trashed in no time.

12. Nov 5, 2007 at 9:20 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    your link didnt work, but i think u might've found the "jdm" black housing headlights, which looks similar to the bhlm on an oem light. i bought a set like that for my wrx a couple years back and they were complete GARBAGE. the lights never aimed right even after i adjusted them as much as i could, and i had to rewire everything to get them to work. i am very cautious about aftermarket lights now due to issue like fitment, wiring and performance, so if i were u i'd just do the BHLM. if you arent comfortable doing it yourself i'm perfectly willing to do it for u if you send me your headlights and beer :D

13. Nov 6, 2007 at 4:33 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    Yeah, it isn't always a problem, AND it is easily fixed. I just like to give people the heads up.

14. Nov 6, 2007 at 9:21 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    i was about to buy a k&n filter the other day now i'm not so sure i want to. i kind of want to do an actual intake kit, because i like the noises it makes, but i'm kinda strayed away from them by the idea that my gas mileage will be even worse :(

15. Nov 6, 2007 at 11:59 PM
    chad68

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Vehicle:
    Well I was dead set on buying white because I have had my "silver" '97 Nissan Hardbody since I bought it new. I was getting sick of looking at silver.

But then the other day I saw it in silver (same exact tacoma model I want) on the lot, invisioned if I do this with these and then do that, Holy crap it is going to be bad ass in silver.

Just have to wait about 12-14 months. That's what sucks.

I actually am already collecting stuff and parts together in the corner of my room.

16. Nov 8, 2007 at 3:44 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    LOL - sounds like some of the computers I've built... Lots of parts, but no computer - yet. ;)

17. Nov 8, 2007 at 3:46 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I am of the opinion that you can still get good MPG with an intake kit, BUT it requires that you don't drive it as hard. That is where the problem lies. People get an intake kit, and start flooring it. Why? - Because it is fun as hell!

...just my opinion, and I might be wrong...

Products Discussed in

To Top