1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mow Mickey Mouse symbol in my lawn for daughter's birthday party. Looking for input.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 2009Silver, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    2009Silver

2009Silver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    I want to mow the Mickey Mouse symbol in my lawn for daughter's birthday party. Looking for input.

Think it would be easiest to keep the sybmbol high, and mow everything else?

Think it would be worth trying??:(

2. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i have no idea, but this would be super cool! i would mow the surrounding so his face is not mowed

3. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    TRDBandit

TRDBandit TACOMANATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    CRAWLORADO
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab TRD O.R. Dark Blue
    Afe Stage 2 CAI Tinted windows Many to come
    Thats going to be tough. I work at the Colorado Rapids stadium working on the field turf. its going to have to be real big to make it work. But I think it can be done. cut all the grass on your highest mow setting then lower it to the lowest for the design. Although grass cut too low can die.

good luck

4. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    I have no idea but I am interested in seeing the pictures when you are done...great idea for your daughter. I bet if you look around online for the pumpkin carving stencils you could find a great outline to follow.

You know gasoline might have a bigger effect on the lawn...:p

5. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    yeah! I think it'd look neat and all the kids would remember her party for sure! Cutting the rest low and keeping the symbol high would definitely be the way I would go about it. Happy birthday to your daughter and happy mowing!

6. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator

^^^^

And that's awesome input.

7. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
  8. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    truckboattruck

truckboattruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    MD
    Vehicle:
    silver sport
    99superjet 11ktm350
    depending on how big your yard is i would print a pretty basic design and go out into the yard and measure everything and see if you can use a push mower.

[​IMG]
    i guess try to simplify this drawing^^

edit: also remember that your daughter, im guessing, will be viewing the image from an angle above so you will have to stretch the design a bit to keep proportions correct

9. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:57 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Good luck! Dooo it!!

10. Jun 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    wow good luck! looking for pics! great idea dude

11. Jun 1, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    m0nster986

m0nster986 ♥ Emergency Medicine

Member:
    SoCal
    Just mow three circles or you can spray paint the grass.

12. Jun 1, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    judd94

judd94 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Vehicle:
    17 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium
    Mods in Progress
    a weedeater would probably be good for doing the edges and detail

13. Jun 1, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    trot

trot Dang.

Member:
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Vehicle:
    18 SW TRD OR DCSB P&T
    I worked at a private country club / golf course as a groundskeeper through high school and part of college. Part of this work was cutting greens. As you see on TV, the greens have patterns, most often double cut, just like any fine natural sports surface.

Pattern cutting is done on these grasses (bent and sometimes bermuda variants) by using a mower that rolls over the grass after the cut.

To do art (something we didn't do by cutting) you either have to use a roller mower and varied heights for the best effect, or you have to do a neat cut (single, same direction, with roller) and then varied shades of green dye or spray paint (if you want it to look natural) or a plain cut and bright colors.

We (rarely) let advertisers do small natural color designs along fringes or heavy gallery areas using muted natural colors and stencils.

Your idea would work with a nice green lawn, a large stencil and some varied shades of paint. I'd go with natural colors myself.

14. Jun 1, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    NYCO

NYCO go explore...

Member:
    First Name:
    bOb
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Blue Betty - '06 TRD OR
    dents & scratches
    i know when i used to mow my dad's grass with his riding mower, i'd be able to get designs with all the same height settings but going in different directions....

some couch materials and carpeting does the same effect...run your hand on the couch/carpet one way it looks darker than the couch/carpet pushed the opposite way...

so for example if you want to do diagonal lines in your lawn you mow a line in one direction and come back the opposite direction right next to it and you'll get a dark/light contrasting lawn effect...

something as detailed as a mickey mouse you would definitely need alot of time and a push mower..

another similar concept idea would be along the lines of crop circles where you would push down the grass using a 2x4/2x6 with string attached on each end..make sure that the areas to be dark are all pushed down in the same direction and you'll get your design

15. Jun 1, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    2009Silver

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    lol thanks for all the input - I was going to just do the three circle logo type deal - no real face details or anything - she'll know what it is supposed to be :)

yeah I'm just going to free-hand it and see what happens... I figured if I keep the design high, and mow the rest of the lawn, if I screw it up, I'll just mow over it...

doing it on Friday - hoping for the best - thanks guys...

16. Jun 1, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    2009Silver

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Thank you!

17. Jun 1, 2011 at 2:10 PM
    2009Silver

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee46Ni8IZxo

Hmm... Maybe weedwacker??? My back yard has a downward slope facing the road, so if I get a good picture, it will be visible to everybody pulling up to my house..... This dude's got some skills....

18. Jun 1, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    i think it would be easier and look better if you kept your grass tall and cut out the design with a weed whacker, and to all the detail work,then came back with the mower and cut out the big chunks. If you have the design in short grass i think it would look alot cleaner and crisper.

19. Jun 1, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    sub'd for curiosity and pictures... :D

20. Jun 1, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Id say chalk it off first so you know what your looking for, take a weed eater to it and get your final product. If you really want to put the effort into it, i say you could have it looking good.

Products Discussed in

To Top