1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Basic Training...

Discussion in 'Military' started by 1990wade, May 9, 2011.

1. Jun 2, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    No real new info- cardio (running), push-ups, sit-ups. If you don't know how already, learn to keep your mouth shut, and don’t make excuses. If they say your fucked up, your fucked up. As far as physical fitness goes check out this link, http://www.armyprt.com/. Its the direction the Army has been going the last few years and goggle the army's new physical fitness test. There are two new ones coming out a combat one and a regular one (http://www.ultimatebasictraining.com/blog/?p=277), however you will still take the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test). Everything I have heard states they are testing it out at some of the basic training units, some National Guard units, and some active units. The first link will come in handy though as they have been doing PRT in basic for the last 5-10yrs or so.

Good luck and remember, just do what you’re told. It’s a break you down, build you back up philosophy. :thumbsup:

2. Jun 2, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    junior07

junior07 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    J-Ville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra
    The physical part isn't hard they will build you up to at least some decent standard, It's the mental part, and everything that builds into it i.e: All the bullshit with the DI's/DS's then all the bullshit that comes up with in the platoon itself through out training, lack of sleep, showers, time to yourself, guard duties, getting punished for one guy screwing up etc etc.

And best advice is don't be "That guy", during boot we were told that on average out of 10 recruits 1 of them will be "That Guy" always screwing up, getting everone thrashed.

3. Jun 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Quad D

Quad D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Quad
    Colorado, from CA, lived in TX, ID, and MT also.
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma stock, dbl cab, 4x4, short bed, SR5
    I would really REALLY suggest completely accepting the training. If you are going, it's because you WANT to be a soldier/marine/sailer etc... The training is designed for you to succeed, no matter how much you think you are fu*&ing up. Just execute when and how you are told to and keep your mouth shut and you'll be fine.

4. Jun 2, 2011 at 8:21 PM
    TacoAviator

TacoAviator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 4.0 Taco
    K&N 77 Series Intake, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Borla Cat-Back, URD MAF Unit, Anzio black headlights, FABTECH 3'' Lift Kit, Halo Rims w/ Nitto Terra Grappler 285/75/17, Westin Nerf Bars and Bull Grill, Grille Craft Grille, WetherTech Wind deflectors, Custom Cup Holder
    Swallow your pride and learn humility. I joined seven years ago as a private and that was the best thing my dad told me before I joined. He is a former Marine (RET). I always busted my ass and PT'd harder than anyone else. Never turn down a detail, no matter how shitty. GO TO EVERY SCHOOL YOU CAN! Remember you still have to take care of your career too. I did all that and now Im a Warrant Officer flying helicopters. Never give up and you will be awesome. Good luck!!

5. Jun 7, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    mrando

mrando Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Reno NV
    #1. Pushups. Most common flunk out on the PT tests.
    #2. Find a crowd, doesn't matter if its friends or strangers. Practice being in the middle of it. Be invisible surrounded by people.

Why? because its always the first guy or the last guy that gains the attention of the drill sargeants during basic (you didn't say, Army or Navy? Not sure what a Navy instructor is called).

You might want to sit in a empty cement building for an hour a night, making sure it doesn't burn down. This will get you a colorful piece of cloth eventually.

Products Discussed in

To Top