1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What the F*** don't I get?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Nick54, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Jun 8, 2011 at 9:30 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    With a 265, plenty of room. :thumbsup:

2. Jun 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    this ^

I would go to another alignment shop. Also as others have said, with the Bilsteins set at 0 lift make sure the adjustment on the light racing uca's are at stock spec. That will make it much easier for the alignment shop.

Edit: got busy at work, looks like i'm a little behind.

3. Jun 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...

This is exactly what I have and the caster is way positive.

I don’t want to keep dealing with mud, dirt, rain water, and other debris blowing up the side on my truck, therefore the desire to keep the flaps. If I keep the stock flaps, I’m not sure I can trim the back of the wheel well and keep the lower anchor points, I will look at this tonight.

4. Jun 8, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    WaGood24

WaGood24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner TRD Sport
    Extang Full Tilt tonneau, VX Series Exhaust, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stainless Nerf Bars, Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, rear-leaf TSB
    That's what she said!

5. Jun 8, 2011 at 10:49 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    Your alignment guy didnt follow my instructions or they were relayed incorrectly. If you have that much caster then you must have the LR's set at a positive setting. Take that extra caster out at the top with your LRs and then have them realign it.

6. Jun 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Ok maybe it's possible I don't understand the LR directions, that certainly is possible. As they are installed right now the logo on the ball joint is facing the front of the wheel well and the ball joint facing the rear. I believe this if position "G" according to the instruction sheet which should be 0 deg or stock.

7. Jun 8, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    Get a picture for me and post it here. Sounds like you have it backwards.

Edit, If the ball joint pushed tward the back of the wheel well you have it completely backwards. you are in position A. I suggest going to E or F and have them re do it. that is your problem. but post a picture anyways so i can verify.

8. Jun 8, 2011 at 1:17 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Ok here are the pics, they are all of the drivers side with the wheel turned to the right stop.

DSCN0478_b96633b6c371ed79f91f836c05ba15ccf25617b1.jpg

DSCN0477_264c8ee43adc34569f3add556eeeb89d6172fee5.jpg

9. Jun 8, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    thats your problem. you are at the maximum plus caster setting (A) on the UCA pushing your wheel further back in the wheel well, then the alignment shop had to further reduce the caster to try to get in spec at the bottom pushing it even closer. rotate it forward to the E/F position and have them realign it and you will be fine.

10. Jun 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    For comparison, here's mine at the "-1" position

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Also both taken from driver side with wheel cranked hard to the right.

11. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    According to the way I inturpeted this drawing I am set at "G" right now with the flat facing front (based on vehicle image) and the ball joint to the rear. Am I reading this drawing wrong? and if so please explain

DSCN0483-1_6d5310f61aced758e5dba265289e3bc9cebeb508.jpg

12. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    Wrong instructions or outdated. You are in the A position. This is directly from their website.

http://www.spcperformance.com/compo...Tacoma&year=2005+-+2011&from=USAFrom&to=USATo
    Untitled-2.jpg

13. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Thats what I'm running and have no rub. Although I have 285's on them.

14. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
  15. Jun 8, 2011 at 3:58 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    Not necessarily, which direction they face depends on what setting you want. in my experience the 1* setting is good enough to get you a decent alignment and have the least amount of rubbing issues.

16. Jun 8, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    Yes your right but I'm saying with the rim and tire set up he has, he should have the SPC marking facing out. Or at least I found that this setting worked best with a 265 with 4.7 backspacing. A

17. Jun 8, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Please identify 1* by number according to the chart on #36 post

18. Jun 8, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    That's the "E" position. It's the one you can see well in this photo:

[​IMG]

Driver side, wheel cranked hard to passenger, looking into the wheelwell from the rear.

19. Jun 8, 2011 at 5:01 PM
    bjmoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    Nick, the more I look at your picture, the more I think you've got the ball joint set at a position that isn't listed on the sheet AT ALL - two letters "before position A" if you understand what I'm saying.

i.e. if there were two more diagrams in the pic, to the left of position "A" then first one to the left of "A" might be labeled "Z", then the one left of that could be "Y"

...I think you're at "Y"

20. Jun 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Ok guys, I have a bone to pick with Specialty Products, they cost me about $120.00 in alignments not to mention my time changing ball joint settings. So can I get some consensus on where to set the ball by letter position for a 1.6 in lift on 265/70/17 tires mounted on 4.75 backspaced wheels?

Products Discussed in

To Top