1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuse Box

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AnotherSilverTaco, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Jun 11, 2011 at 3:36 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

AnotherSilverTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    I had seen some great fuse panels on this site, but the ones I have seen are all open. I live near the beach and I regularly wash my engine compartment with garden hose or powerwash. (I know this is shocking for some, but my last truck, a Ford lasted 13 years and I always washed the engine compartment, my Taco is an 06 and I have always washed the engine compartment, but I digress).

Anyway, I wanted my fuses mounted high in the engine compartment and in a splash proof housing.

Here is how it turned out.

Not only is it splashproof, but man is it convenient to trip the breaker and flip the panel over to work with the wires and hide them underneath inside the box.

The only downside was I could only fit 2 relays inside the box, so when I get more relays, I will have to attach them to the side of the box or something.

fuse box 1.jpg
    fuse box 2.jpg
    fusebox 3.jpg
    fuse box top view.jpg

2. Jun 11, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    johnh7

johnh7 life. It goes on.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    GA
    were did u get this box, did u make it??

3. Jun 11, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    CBI trailrider rear bumper, CBI Front Receiver, Warn M8000 Receiver Winch in Warn Multi-mount cradle
    The box is an Intermatic timer box for pools, available for about $17 on Amazon. The box is tan, so I painted it black. Gloss spray paint was all I had at the time. I am hoping it will lose its shine some.

The Board is just 1/4 polyethylene sheet that I shaped and drilled holes in. I used 1 3/8" long bolts covered in double shrink wrap to form the legs for the board.

I used some thinner plastic to cover all the bolts that I used to bolt it down, so that it is idiot proof in terms of avoiding short circuits.

It is bolted to the side and with a bracket to the fender, cuz I wanted to avoid any mishaps.

The only thing I still need to do aside from loading it up with accessories, is to paint plasti-dip on the hot wire and bolt coming from the battery underneath into the breaker. That kind of bothers me being exposed. Once that is done I can can flip the breaker and feel pretty safe working in there out on the trail in the dark with a few beers in me.

I am really liking it so far!

4. Jun 11, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
    Nice job! rep sent!

5. Jun 11, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
    Nice work.

6. Jun 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Very nice!

7. Jun 12, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    That's super clean. I like it. Am noticing a momentary for the hood- do you have hood lamps installed?

8. Jun 12, 2011 at 2:34 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    Not sure what you are seeing, but no, the only lights I have installed so far are below (see pic). I just finished the bumper, now working on a CBI hidden front receiver like this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/144184-bjmoose-installs-receiver-winch.html

I just started working on my truck after I got rearended, which prompted the rear bumper install. I figured why not have a winch front and rear while I am at it?

Then I realized I would need a fuse for the lights, another for the solenoid so the winch cables won't always be "live" so I needed an easy way to hook up accessories, so I came up with the fuse box idea based on some of the others I had seen.

The cool thing about this is all the wires exit the botton of the box and you can cram them under the board. Easy to make things look neat. Easy to make changes.

Bumper dunes.jpg

9. Jun 12, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    I was talking about this. Looks like a momentary switch for the hood- my truck doesn't have one so I thought maybe it was to a lamp rig you had.

fusebox1_b975291edc3657d3dc1dc163b93b8fbe09dc7307.jpg

10. Jun 12, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    Oh that is for the factory alarm, sorry. The holes in the side of the fender where the box mounts to is where the clutch fluid reservoir goes for those who have manual trannies, I just learned that recently. The manual transmission folks have a harder time mounting a fuse box near the battery/drivers side where it is most convenient.

11. Jun 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    johnh7

johnh7 life. It goes on.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    GA
    what about that fuse box u got in the black box??

12. Jun 21, 2011 at 7:26 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
  13. Mar 18, 2012 at 8:41 PM
    AnotherSilverTaco

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab 4x4
    Hunter423 asked about this box so I figured I would share with everybody,

It is a Intermatic timer box from Amazon that I painted black. I think it was $17. I used a piece of 1/4 inch polyethylene sheet that I had laying around but you could use acrylic, an old cutting board, whatever plastic sheet you have around, a fuse block and circuit breaker I got from West Marine. I made a metal leg to brace the box against the fender out of an old shelf bracket. It goes straight own to the fender well. I bolted the box to the existing holes in the fender where the clutch master cylinder would go (in a manual transmission). Those holes are not square, so you have to get some pvc or something to use as a bushing to even them out. I had a pair of plastic bushings in my junk drawer that I sanded into the right shape and length, so that the box is flush with the side wall.

Pretty much you just need a drill, sabre saw and some sand paper for the rest. Just lay the fuse block, circuit breaker, and relays out and cut holes where needed. I used some small bolts I had in my junk drawer to make legs and covered them with shrink wrap to avoid shorts. That way the plastic panel sits nicely against the bottom and gives room underneath to hide the wires. Paint some plasti-dip on the hot wires once everything is done.

I am pretty satisfied with this fuse box. It is so easy to make things look neat.

I saw other fuse boxes that were great except it looked like a major hassle to arrange the wires all neatly. This way any time you need to add a circuit, just drill a new hole in the bottom of the box and you are in business.

The only downside I have seen is that it only has room for 2 relay inside the box.

M

14. Mar 18, 2012 at 9:42 PM
    myth01

myth01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    south sf, ca.
    Vehicle:
    08 taco Trd sport
    eclipse nav.-w/ Bluetooth & iPod 3'' revtech add a leaf lift kit snug top ss truck cap dive tank racks in back Aux fuse box Aux back up lights, w/ interior fj cruiser stock switch Back up cam Turn signal cams Interior inverter -switched Aux audio/video inputs -RCA (including iPhone cable)w/ 4 input switch Mag light mount Tyredog stand alone tpms Spare tire extension hose Avid off road light bar(powder coated)

Products Discussed in

To Top