1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What is there to do in San Mateo?!

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by 06RadiantRed, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM
    06RadiantRed

06RadiantRed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road - RadRed!!
    ICON ext. Travel Coilovers, TC UCAs, Fox 2.0 FJ Rear Shox + 2"AAL rear
    So I just finished moving to San Mateo last week from my 10 month stay in San Francisco. My work moved here December last year, so I figured since my lease was up I might as well have a short commute. Any cool stuff I should know about around here? I'm from the East Bay so I know that side pretty well, but wanted to see who all was around here that I might see on the streets. Would be nice to see a friendly Tacoma driving by! :wave:

Also what is there to do on this side of the bay :confused:

2. Jun 9, 2011 at 11:47 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Congrats on the move Ryan. I pass through the Peninsula a lot, but there really isn't shit to do. I know there's a cool go kart place in Burlingame, ice skating ring in San Mateo (don't ask me why I know), and a ton of good eats. A little south is Palo Alto with some cool bars and clubs. Other than that, I don't really know

3. Jun 10, 2011 at 7:32 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    In the winter you'll be closer to maverick. And if you haven't been, you need to go to the Calif Academy of Sciences Museum at least once.

4. Jun 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    06RadiantRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Hey Thanks! So far San Mateo is pretty easy to deal with. Seems like a nice enough area. I actually fount a nice room in a house to live in, so once again I can work on my truck whenever I want! No more driving back to the East Bay every single time I need any tool larger than a socket or screwdriver.

I think i have seen that Go-Kart place, its off the side of 101 south? Probably going to pass on the ice skating though :p. Whats some of that good food you mentioned? Iv been trying to figure out some regular spots here, but your right there is a ton to chose from.

Cant remember ever going to the Academy of Sciences, so even if I have gone at some point, it should probably be entertaining :). Ill check it out, thanks for the reply!

5. Jun 10, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    YayAreaTaco0311

YayAreaTaco0311 Motivator

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD 4x4 O/R Supercharged
    OEM TRD supercharger, OEM wheels painted black by me, yellow sidemarkers, arb bumper, LED interiors, roll-n-lock, 5% rear windows, mudflaps removed, protector alarm, mobile trace, blacked out front Toyota emblem, debadged, & tree air freshener.
    Honestly, there isn't jack shit to do in San Mateo! You gotta drive outta there and visit Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Great America, or come back to Frisco!

The Go-Kart place is right next to 101. It's called Go-Kart Racer. It cost about $50 to race. I personally am not a huge fan of go-carting.

If you like shooting guns, there's an awesome ass outdoor range at Castro Valley called Chabot Gun Club. $14 unlimited shooting the whole day.

You can't go wrong with bar hopping in Frisco though! :D

6. Jun 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    06RadiantRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    If I could ever find a place to park in SF that I wasn't going to get my truck smashed up in, I probably wouldn't have left SF!

7. Jun 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    black cx

black cx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4x4
    *edit* didnt know you stayed in SF for 10 months..

I usually take my bike up highway 35 to Alices and 4-Corners. Grab lunch at Alices Restaurant. http://www.yelp.com/biz/alices-restaurant-woodside You can always drive up 92 and hit highway and see the coast.

As MJ mentioned, there is go-kart racer in San Mateo. Malibu (slower go-karts + mini golfing is like 20 miles south of go kart racer on 101.

Drive North to San Francisco..Catch a SF Giants Game at AT&T Ballpark. On a budget? check out dynamic deals on the SF Giants Website.. http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/sf/ticketing/dynamic_deal.jsp

Want to check out SF more? Go rent a bicycle for a day at Sports Basement

Want to do some shopping? Head south towards Gilroy and hit up the Gilroy Outlets

Some other stuff; http://sf.funcheap.com/

Let me know if you want any more suggestions

-Chris

8. Jun 26, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    mike07yota

mike07yota Active Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab. white
    885's, 5100's, moto metal 951's black with 285's and tinted windows
    What type of food do you like? Also what do you like to do for fun? I live here in San Mateo over by 3rd ave. There isnt much but its a nice place to live. The beach is 15 mins away, Alices is where I also take my bike and it has great food and its fun to watch all the other motorcycles ride ride by. There are bars in downtown and Palo Alto is close by if you like drunk rich stanford kids. Go cart racer in Burlingame is fun but not worth the money. let me know what type of food you like and ill give you great suggestions. Sorry im late to game but fig i can give some help. I drive a white 4 door with black moto metals so wave if you see me.

9. Jun 26, 2011 at 2:20 PM
    06RadiantRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Hmm favorite food is Mexican, best place i have found so far is Charlies down on south B street. But im open to most food, what are some of your favorites? Ill be sure to honk/wave when I see some motometals :p Thanks for the tips guys

10. Jun 26, 2011 at 10:14 PM
    mike07yota

mike07yota Active Member

Member:
    bay area
    Vehicle:
    07 dbl cab. white
    885's, 5100's, moto metal 951's black with 285's and tinted windows
    Try Guadalajara Grill over by 42nd Ave and old county road. They have good mexican food. There is also El super Burrito in Millbrae on El Camino across from Safeway and Walgreens. Charlie's is the best downtown. Oh and if you want a mexican restaurant there is Fernando's on 37th ave. If you ever need a drink in downtown my boy Matt makes a good drink for a good price at McGoverns bar on 4th Ave. Ill be sure to wave if i see you.

11. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    daPitbull

daPitbull Member

Member:
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    2008 4runner 8-banger
    I just moved back to san mateo after living in SF for 7 years. Its agreat place for familys but if youre a sinlgle guy it can get boring. As far as food...
    Mexican: La Cumbre on B St x 1st, Poncho Villa on B St x 4th

12. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    06RadiantRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    ill check em! thanks guys

13. Jun 30, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    P-Dub

P-Dub Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 Blue 4x4 TRD Sport DC LB
    TRD skid plate, OEM roof rack, OEM running boards, TruckCovers USA rolling tonneau cover, 3000K HID Foglights
    If you mountain bike there are a couple of spots. The 2 I've been doing lately are Skeggs on 35 skyline just a few miles from 92 and Waterdog in Belmont. There's actually a lake in Belmont believe it or not.

14. Jun 30, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    06RadiantRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    CA-Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Yeah i do, or i should say used to Mountain Bike. Really hard to get myself to go riding after not being on the bike for so long. The guy im living with is a Mountain biker as well, i gotta finally go one of these days! Thanks for the tip, ill ask him about the trails you suggest!

15. Sep 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    Rob2.7Taco

Rob2.7Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Prerunner
    +1 for Guadalajara grill! Old town sushi is also cheap and amazing on b st. in downtown san mateo.Rays hawaiian bbq near CSM. Skeggs point has great hiking. Planet granite if you like to rock climb.

Products Discussed in

To Top