1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Laminate Flooring DIYers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by poynter, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jun 16, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    poynter

poynter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Somerset, KY
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco 4x4 SR5 TRD AC
    Anyone have laminate in their house? If so which brand did you go with?
    I want to do our main room thats around 600 sq ft. It would be great to find some less than $2 a sqfoot and I will install it myself.

Lumber liquidators has some really good pricing but not sure of their "dream home" brand. I have a lowes locally and they carry swiftlock(leary of them as well) anderson and pergo. I want something pretty dark like this:

[​IMG]

2. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    I did used pergo when I moved in. Got it from Lowes. I first went to LL but they didn't have any dark ones in stock. The install is super easy btw.

3. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    we did in the old house. i don't know what brand. but i think it was like pergo from lowes or home depot. and it was the snap together stuff.

edit: me mom and dad did the hole up stares except the bathrooms and the stares them selves. not to hard if you got the right tools to gut it. circler saw works best. and we had pretty light colored stuff.

4. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    Skimoab

Skimoab Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Draper, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 Silver CC LB Sport
    Plasti-dipped Badging, Leveling Kit, New Wheels and Tires, 4WD Switch Illumination, Aftermarket Stereo
    I actually bought some from Costco for a rental unit I own, very easy install, very durable, and actually looks really good. I don't remember the exact pricing but I remember it being about 60-70% of the price at Home Depot or Lowe's.

5. Jun 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '19 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD OR
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    I installed quite a bit of the LL brand snap together laminate this past winter. It was pretty easy, especially with an extra pair of hands. I used a small table saw to remove the tongue of the first pieces, then a chop saw for cutting pieces to length. I had a saber saw to cut around obstacles, like air registers, and a Dremel Multi-Max for cutting door frames & trim so that the laminate could fit under. Just follow the directions supplied and use spacers.

6. Jun 20, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    jeremiekc

jeremiekc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremie
    Vilseck, Germany
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab Base Model
    Secondary Air Filter removed, Painted Brake Calipers, AFN Drop in air cleaner, OEM Chrome Bumper, OEM Chrome grilll, OEM Cruise Control, OEM Interval Wipers, Hard Wired Garmin Nuvi 670, X-Runner Rims, Devil Horns, 6000w HID's, Bling Light Fogs with Blue Halo, OEM Bilstein Rear Shocks, 12V Plug in Truck Bed pocket. Debagged, 13" Antennax, Color Matched Satoshi Grill, URD Short Shifter, WeatherTech Floor Mats, PainLess Wiring Switched Fuse Box, Black Sand Pearl X-Runner Badges
    If you are looking at stuff like Pergo it is really easy to install. I do recommend getting/renting either a mitter saw or a buying a mitter box so that your seams are all straigt. You dont need to use nails or anything like that you will need to buy some good Wood glue to glue the ends together, this is more to keep stuff out of the joint then it is to hold it. If you plan on living in the house for a long period of time I recommend spending the extra money for something that has actual real wood on the top of it and then a clear layer over the wood. I have seen the cheaper brands where with alot of traffic over it they tend to fade down to the MDF layer. As far as putting it all together it is either a Tongue and Groove mechanism were you are just pushing them together or it is an "S" hook configuration where you have to put it at an angle and one piece fits in under neath the other.

Things to remember when you are buying stuff. Make sure that you buy the transition pieces, there are the pieces you use between other types of flooring that you are bordering. Also spend the extra money for a good thick underlayment. Because the floor is free floating, not glue or nailed to the sub floor, the space between the sub floor and the Laminate will echo when you walk across it, if you have a basement you will hear everything that goes across the floor. Also when you are putting it together make sure that you off set the seams. You need to leave atleast 16 inches between the seams from one row to the other.

As far as what brand to buy I would definately read up on it. Consumer Reports had a comparison of the best and worst Laminate flooring. You can go to consumerreports.com to see the comparisons. If you plan on moving eventually then go with a mid level brand.

7. Jun 20, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    the only tools you need are a measuring tape, circular saw (table saw would be easier), hammer, spacers and the tapping tool. We had 2 diff tapping tools, one main one, and one that made to get hard to reach areas

HF has a cheapie set

8. Jun 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    I install floors for a living, Pergo is a absolutely great product. Fairly easy to install, reasonable price, and great durability. There are many cheaper brands, but the little extra you will pay will be more then worth it.

9. Jun 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    youtube has a lot of tutorial vids

10. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    No way for me to tell, but I doubt the new flooring would fit under the existing baseboards and such. Kind of doubt it. Do some planning before you start work.

11. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
  12. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    Scott78

Scott78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '19 OR DCLB
    I used allure, you don't need a saw, just a blade. Pretty damn easy, it's got adhesive on it and just sticks together instead of clipping. The worst part is making sure the sub-floor is smooth. It was cake to install.

I've done some of the other laminate stuff from Costco at a buddies house, it was easy too.

Not having to go in and out to keep cutting shit on a saw is nice, I needed a measuring tape and a box cutter.

13. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Make sure to leave an expansion gap around the walls

14. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    Oh yeah; been there. Tape record all such conversations whenever possible....:frusty:

15. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I'm sure there will be installation instructions with whatever type of flooring you buy , but generally you need to leave about a 3/8" gap between the floor boards and the wall to allow for expansion and contraction of the wood .

This gap is usually hidden by the baseboard .

16. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    OZ is off line, so I'll answer for him. The floor must be held back from walls and other objects (pipes, etc.) by 1/4 inch (may be more for different flooring brands). Otherwise the floor may buckle in hot/humid weather. Plastic wedges may be purchased to ensure proper spacing on flooring rows, then pulled out and reused when a row is finished. All of this will be found in the instructions.

17. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Usually you want to climatize the boards to your space for a couple days prior to install .

The humidity doesn't necessarily have to come from outside , ie showers , cooking , houseplants , breathing etc

18. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    Follow the instructions. Really.

19. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    DblCabMN

DblCabMN Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mpls, Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    03 DC TRD/LTD
    Bilstein 5100's all around - Toytec/Eibach 112-620 Coils, Wheelers 5-Pack+Wheelers 2"AAL. 33x10.5x15 KM2s - Siped on Summit Racing 84-5883 rims with 3.750 BS. 4.88s. Demello HD round sliders. Home built full skids. Home built front bumper. Plasti'd badges. Energy Susp. steering rack bushings. Sway bar delete. Deck plate mod. aFe Pro-Dry. Gibson exhaust.
    Wow. Your roommates are dumbasses. Going out and spending 700-1300$ on flooring to cover 600 sq. ft. with no plan... no research... and no tools.

Would love to be the owner of the store that sells those guys "all the gear they'll need"

I just finished installing 400 sq. ft. of 2 3/4" pre-finished solid oak flooring.

I spent a week after work researching the prep, products, tools and installation before even walking into a flooring center.

Sounds like a case of more dollars than sense.

Take pics, your project is going to be interesting.

20. Jun 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    OZ i must say you are dead on, on this stuff! :thumbsup: i forgot to tell him to leave room for expansion

Products Discussed in

To Top