1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Suggestions on mounting fire exstinguisher to bedrails.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ratrod, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Jun 15, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    ratrod

ratrod [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
    Just wondering if anybody has a good low cost DIY way to mount fire exstinguisher to bedrail. Would like it to be easily removable (in case of fire!!). And also any other suggestions for mounting other items. I have a medic bag that I want to secure and other type survival items. I have a shell on my truck so I keep may things stowed away.

Thanks

2. Jun 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
  3. Jun 16, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100s @ 1.75 with 1.5 AAL, Satoshi Grill Mod with 2 Hella 500s behind the grill, LED dome and map lights, custom made (by me) 10" subwoofer box behind the dbl cab seat, DVD/iPod/Bluetooth/GPS/TV/USB/Stereo, Yakima rack, Shell, tinted front windows to match the factory backs. Backup cam in the tailgate handle mod.
  4. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I just picked up a pair of T-slot nuts from my local fastenal store to play around with, see how they fit, etc. and thought about a fire extinguisher. If your fire extinguisher has a wall mount or a mount of some sort, use the mounting holes in the design but drilled out for a 1/4" bolt size. Then, you can install the mount with the 1/4" bolts and T-slot nuts to the track anywhere you want. If facing the rear of the truck, I thought a fire extinguisher mounted to the far left corner behind the driver's door might be a good place. Then, all you need is a good clasp on the mount to keep it in place until needed. I can see lots of uses with the T-slot nuts...:D

5. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM
    ratrod

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    since your in my neck of the wood i was wondering what store you went to.

6. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    Fire931

Fire931 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    00 4Runner
    A little tough to see but mine is bolted through the bed on the drivers side rear. I just used the plastic wall bracket that it came with and it holds it just fine even with all the wheeling I've done.

100_0458_949998a8b355f50d8816d01f0068cbed8183280d.jpg

7. Jun 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Looks awesome!!!

8. Jun 16, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    I have read and seen many applications with the T-slot nuts and the stock bed rail system, which seems to be a pretty good mount option for many extras. But, even though I have not drilled thru the bed sides at this point, it seems thru bolting items to the bedside would be a safe and sound option, probably stronger IMO then the weight of the item hanging on the bed rail. Maybe consider mounting light stuff like a small fire extinguisher on the bed rails, and heavier options like hi jacks, shovels etc. mounted and thru bolted to the bed sides?... Even though I have seen some with their hi jacks mounted to the bed rails with T-slot nuts and no issues, if your running hard it might be stressful to the rail system the heavier the item is, and the bedside seems like a solid base which may handle the weight load of heavier objects with ease compared to the rail system.

9. Jun 16, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    I went to order online, and then found out I had a store nearby my home in FL, called them and they had them shipped to the local store. Same price, @ $3.02 ea. They look solid, and should handle some weight on the bed rail...

10. Jun 17, 2011 at 4:38 AM
    kb1jop

kb1jop kb1jop

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Webster, MA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Magnetic Gray Metallic SR5 Double Cab
    Factory Towing Package OEM Bed Mat Hard Tonneau Tacoma All-Weather Floor Mats
    I have a 2x4 cut to fit crosswise in the bed indents. I just screwed my fire extinguisher bracket to the top of that. It stays put and the whole thing is easily removable when necessary.

11. Jun 17, 2011 at 6:27 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    I too want to install extinguishers in the bed but I can't use quick fists in the bed rails because I still want to be able to close my tonneau cover.

I haven't tried it yet but my plan is to make something like this with PVC pipes. I'll put some kind of foam inside to avoid any rattling. I haven't decided yet if I'll make it horizontal or vertical.

ExtinguisherRack.jpg
    ExtinguisherRack 2.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top