1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Calling ALL Lift Experts (I know another thread)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by WhiteWiddow, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    WhiteWiddow

WhiteWiddow [OP] a member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 V6 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    Same ish everyones doin
    Lift Experts im new to TW and need your help... I have stocked TW for the past 6 months and searched all the different types of lift thread so I apologize in in advance but I was unable to find my answer in the other suspension threads and am torn.

I am looking for more cosmetic look as I will only be doing moderate off road ish but at the same time I don't want to lose my stock ride (maybe even get smoother) I plan on runnin 285/75/17 BFG AT. I don't want to do a cheap lift and have the trouble of replacing parts later due to ware and tare quicker then normal. I want to do it right the first time. I have looked at billy's 5100's, OME lifts, ToyTech, Fox. Kings and Icon with blocks/spacers and AAL's. With the 3" lift that im looking at it seems it would be wiser to get UCA's so thats my plan. There is so many options that i'm torn. I plan on keeping my 06 V6 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4 for a while as it only has 32k on it but it looks like an old man whip stock. Please give me strict direction as to what I would be needing. I appreciate all your knowledge in advance and again sorry I could not find my answers in any thread.

[​IMG]

2. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    for your needs.. I would either go OME or Toytec Coilovers. For the rear some 5100's or OME shocks if you descide to go the OME route. And a 2" lift, with either a single AAL or a progressive 3 leaf AAL....
    Def. get UCA's, Lights Racing UCA's should be good.

If want more adjustability,and a better off road ride, I would go Icon ext. travel with TC UCAs. but that a little over the top for someone who isnt planning on doing much offroading. :)

3. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    I have 5100s set at 0.85 with OME 885 coils. My rear setup is tsb leaf pack with 2" aal. Due to my bumper weighing me down, I am under that 3" mark and do not need UCAs. Here's a pic, hope it hops.

BTW, the ride is gonna be a little stiff but I feel it handles the road better! I don't get the bounce, it hits whatever and settles immediately. I love it. Good luck!

[​IMG]

4. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM
    Banff2007Tacoma

Banff2007Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Black Sand Pearl TRD Offroad.
    GPS Navigation System, Old Man Emu complete lift with Dakar springs. Light Racing UCA's. BFG AT tires, KMC Enduro rims, Allpro E-locker guard. ARB Portable Air Compressor CKMP12. Backflip Tonneau Cover. Wet Okole seat covers.
    I am definately no expert on this matter as I am looking for something that will give some decent off road performance and still maintain a good ride. I have had countless of people tell me to either go the OME or Billstien route so I have decided to go the OME route as well. Good luck on what you decide but from what friends and others on this site and other sites have told me these are two great options. Good luck.

5. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    i put 5100's up front just to level mine

6. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Any lift is going to ride stiffer than what you have now. If you're not willing to make that trade-off, don't lift.

Best bang for the buck for a truck not wheeled hard is 5100s at all four corners, with an add-a-leaf in back.

Downsouth Motorsports, or Wheelers, both sponsors here, can help you with the exact list of parts you need.

My personal opinion is that on-road behavior of a 3" lifted truck is better with light racing upper control arms.

For tire size, I'm pretty sure you meant 285/70R17 or 285/75R16, NOT "285/75R17" which would be a weird and very uncommon tire size.

7. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    808hiker

808hiker Taco addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island, Hawaii
    OP, your lift needs sound similar to mine...I wanted a lift for mainly looks, and the occasional mild trail..nothing hardcore. I went with the Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit with the Toytec coilovers, rear 5100 shocks and Emu Dakar Leaf Pack.

I haven't installed the Tacoma's lift yet (scheduled installation for next weekend) but I have the ULK on my 4Runner also and the Toytec coilovers ride great. They kinda ride stiff in the beginning but after settling/breaking in they ride well IMO.

I chose the Dakar leaf pack because I've heard that AAL's can flatten out after a short time and bottom out again. It seems like other TW guys who have the Dakar's like 'em so that wasn't a hard decision for me.

As for UCA's I just went ahead and bought a pair of TC's. Probably overkill I know, but I wanted the ability to regularly maintain it. (TC is greasable, while
    Light Racing is maintenance-free). Your call on that one.

8. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Deja vu this thread

9. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:40 PM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts
    Not an expert, just personal experience regarding UCAs. I went only up 2.5" in front with OME 885x's. After two alignments, the specs were absolute shite and it wanders on at high speed. I have since ordered a set of Light Racing UCAs which should get everything straightened out. If you have the money, go ahead and put a set of UCAs on while you got the front end tore apart. I wish I had.

10. Jun 18, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Yeah, I didn't even realize it was a double post in different forums.

Perhaps a mod can merge them.

Products Discussed in

To Top