1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Time to replace springs??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by beefsteak, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Jun 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    beefsteak

beefsteak [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Grey Wire mod, Eibach and bilstein 5100s all around, Alcan leafsprings, tundra brake swap with steel lines, loose steering column weld mod, keyless/alarm mod
    Hey guys,

You think there's any life left in these springs? I was told that Tacoma's have pretty flat springs anyway, but I don't know how bad is bad. I bought this truck used a few months ago, so I have no clue what new or good springs look like. I recently hauled a load of mulch and it seemed to do fine and did not drop much after the load was put in, but I don't know. Your opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!

IMAG0005.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg

2. Jun 24, 2011 at 11:15 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    They don't look terrible to me. I definitely don't think they're beyond what an AAL could handle if you felt you needed a little extra support. How does it ride?

3. Jun 24, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Mine were/are worse. AAL helped them a bit. Im installing some bilsteins this weekend which should help them even more.

4. Jun 24, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    The first photo looks pretty flat/frowning to me. Assuming that's not some kind of optical illusion, I'd go for new leaf pack. AALs will only delay the inevitable...

5. Jun 25, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    67tone67

67tone67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Fulton Ms
    Vehicle:
    04 Dbl cab TRD
    Mine are worse..... I plan on replacing....i cant haul a dog box without hitting a bump and bottoming out to the bumpstops!

6. Jun 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    Grey Wire mod, Eibach and bilstein 5100s all around, Alcan leafsprings, tundra brake swap with steel lines, loose steering column weld mod, keyless/alarm mod
    It seems to ride ok, but then again, I don't know how they're supposed to ride lol. I know my shocks are shot though, so if there's a lil life in the springs, I'm gonna replace all the shocks first and see.

7. Jun 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM
    Aquatic Tacoma

Aquatic Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Odessa, Fl.
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Dbcb , 2004 Tacoma S-Runner
    Both are Stock - built correct from the start.
    Shocks have nothing to do with supporting the truck unless they have coilovers on them. Shocks just control the bounce.

8. Jun 27, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    Denim Dan

Denim Dan Confusion

Member:
    First Name:
    Erick
    Visalia Ca
    Vehicle:
    96 4x4 reg cab
    mine look like that and my ride sucks but the reason my ride sucks is the guy i bought it from put procomp shocks for a 3" lift so they only have like 1.5" of up travel :( im broke as hell right now and my buddy is gonna give me his old monroes and ill keep those till i can get 5100's and im hoping that will help the ride. if it doesnt, cause i dont have much money imma buy this
    http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-929-40...e=Toyota|76&Year=1996|1996&newCar=1&carId=001
    i kno its stock but i cant afford a bigger leaf pack right now :/

9. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:33 AM
    beefsteak

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD 4x4
    That's a great price for leaf springs. Is that stock quality? Cause what's the difference between buying those and adding a leaf for like 50 buck more? Would that be the same as getting the wheeler's leaf pack?

10. Jun 30, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Yeah i would say toss those and buy new ones there just about dead. A AAL wont do much that's what i did on mine and they only lasted about three months before i was sitting at the same height i was before the AAL. Also your shackle angles look a little off with the new pack they will sit better and the ride should feel better.

Products Discussed in

To Top