1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Whats a good mountain bike tire....

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by chris4x4, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:28 PM
    sloancallaway

sloancallaway Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sloan
    Spruce Grove Alberta Canada
    depending on what type of riding you do, these bontragers are great, http://bontrager.com/model/04146, so far I love mine and they have been great in anything I have thrown at them

but they are a gravity tire so like I say it depends on what your doing, but they are sticky and light wieght considering I have 2.35s on my dj and 2.5 on dh rig

2. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    The tires are on a HT.

3. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:32 PM
    sloancallaway

Member:
    First Name:
    Sloan
    ride the 2.35's (which are available) on my 2004 norco 125, I used them on out "free ride" hill, its a local ski hill that they opened here not a mountain but not bad considering its about 4 hours closer then any mountain. which is a hard tail. I find them great in everything from sand to mud, and not even bad in light snow lol (board and drunk)

4. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    Cannonball

Cannonball Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 diesel / 1979 Jeep CJ-5
    Nevegal 2.35 front
    Maxxis Larsen TT 2.35 rear

Great for T100, South Mountain, Hawes, just about anything but XC racing or gnarly DH...

Oops, that on the full squish. I am still figuring out my preferred combo for the single speed. I just put on a 2.4 WTB mutanoraptor for the front. Big volume, low weight. And a Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 on the back (it sucks as a front tire so Ill try it as a rear...)

5. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    You forgot papago :p Its a nice trail for cardio.

6. Nov 5, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    sloancallaway

Member:
    First Name:
    Sloan
  7. Nov 5, 2010 at 7:06 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Chris, your in good shape with Velocis. Tried and true and been around forever. Nevegals are good do it all tire as well and one of the more universally popular tires last 5 years. The panaracer fire xc mentioned earlier works great too but soft and seems to wear fast and chip easily. I've been running wtb motoraptors on my trailbike here in Midwest and work well for all around and did good at south mountain in Phoenix earlier this summer, really clawed up the ledges well and stayed hooked up on the loosish fast sections. By the way loved SMP and envy all the awesome riding out your way. Motos are a little heavy but I love the high volume and confidence you get with a larger tire and less pinch flat worries at lower (30ish) psi settings.

8. Nov 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Thanks! Yeah, THe WTB's were the first tire I ran on SMP and didnt wash out the front in the fast spots :eek: They corner really well!

9. Nov 6, 2010 at 2:05 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    My favorite thing about the motos is simply they look badass........like the old Dunlop k695 I used to run on mx bikes.

10. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    Workman

Workman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 access cab, off road, V6
    The WTB velosis are great tires, I like the Maxxis Ignitors for my cross country trail bike.

11. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:50 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    i am sold on both the Kenda omac Nevegals and the Panaracer Fire XC pro tires.

had great luck with both.

waiting for the Tioga Psycho Genius, though

12. Jun 18, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    I saw this thread last year, and after scratching myself up good on a fast turn (tires slid out from under me) I decided it was time to get some tires with more bite on them.

I have come back to this thread numerous times, and finally bought some Kenda Nevegals...

I just put them on this past Friday, and I'm gonna go try them out later today :)

[​IMG]

13. Jun 28, 2011 at 4:40 AM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    so how are they working out for you so far? I have the small block eights on my bike that came with them. The reviews I read on the nevegals are they have a high rolling resistance, which, I probably would not notice, or maybe I would....lol

14. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:09 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    OK, maybe some payback for your help on the truck. Dart is not a good front IMO, the lugs don't have a good corner or edge so it always felt like it would slide out from under you on hard corners wet or dry. I always ran a Tioga Pschyo up front back in those days with the smoke out back. IMO, WTB velociraptors are very good but the front borders on having the same issue as the Dart. I'm running Fire XC Pros on all but 1 offroad bike that has the WTBs on it and love them in all conditions. I'm sure some of the other 50.00 each tires have good performance but I just don't spend that much for what I do and how many bikes I have. BTW, have seen Dart/Smoke sets on sale lately on special runs or something. Actually have a set new, not sure they are on a bike or not right now, I'll have to check but if you are bent on that set let me know because I just can't trust that front. I tried to go with them again on an older bike but ended up making a touring bike out of it with big smooth tires on it. I'll try to find where I got them and post up a link..........OK, holy thread revival,lol,my bad......If you still care about smoke/dart combo they sell them at nashbar dot com.........

15. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:27 AM
    Racer X

Racer X Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    +1 for Maxxis Ignitors. Lightweight, good roll resistance and grip :thumbsup:

16. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:42 AM
    wtbthree

wtbthree Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
  17. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:16 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

They are awesome so far, I can now go up inclines where my old tires would not get grip at all. I haven't slipped on the curve where I ate shit. :D They did feel a bit heavier on the asphault though, I inflated the tires to about 43 psi, and the rolling resistance was hardly to be felt.

I don't use this bike much on the road though, the only time it sees asphault is on the way to the trails. :cool: Speaking of which my bike needs one helluva cleaning. :D

18. Jun 28, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    JM76

JM76 Ride On

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2016 AC SR 4x4
    bone stock save for the block lift that came on it with the open country m/t.
    This is good:D

19. Jun 28, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    Tacoma831

Tacoma831 Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    OME 886 Coils, OME Shocks, OME Dakars, Snug Top, De-Badged, ARB Bullbar, XRC8 Winch
    I'm running "The Captain" by s-works, they are light weight and hook up really well. I would run them again.

20. Jun 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Chris, i know you already got a new tire, but next time check out the Continental Trail King. comes in a 2.2 and 2.4. o use the 2.2 as it actually measures about 2.3. i use it for xc races as well as all mountain riding. it's leight for it's size and rolls nice. it's also insanely durable. i run mine (folding, NOT tubeless) at 18-20 psi in the rear on the real muddy slick days and it just keeps biting. on a dry all mountain style course i'll run 35 rear and 30 front. about the same for xc, sometimes lower.

the other cool part is that they are designed to be used as a front and rear tire, but you change the direction of rotation for front and rear. says right on the tire of course.

i raced a maxxis crossmark (2.1) before these, loved those, but won't be going back as they have far more traction, and even when measuring 2.3'', are not noticably heavier, even over a 20-30 mile race.

Products Discussed in

To Top