1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Motorsports GoPro HD 253.96 shipped on Amazon.

Discussion in 'Deals & Coupons' started by JLee, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:55 AM
    JLee

JLee [OP] The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
  2. Jun 28, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Thats a pretty good deal!!

3. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

Yeah that's what I thought so i bought one with a roll bar mount and the BatteryPac for 307.00 out the door pretty dam good deal if you ask me.

4. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:02 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah for sure!! I got one a couple weeks ago but it was defected so I am waiting for a new one. But I guess the issue I was having was pretty common cause there were a lot more others that had the same problems.:eek:

5. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:08 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    I really like those GoPro HD and almost bought one. I didn't like that you have to buy a separate screen for an additional $76

I just bought this so I could mount my Flip HD or my Stylus Tough 8000 right to the windshield and have fantastic video whenever I need or want.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I originally had the same model without the extra extension piece and it limited my options given the angle of my Taco windshield, so I picked this one up. This one works perfect and is extremely stable. $28.25 shipped and you can put any camera on it because it has a standard sized camera mount.

Just sayin'

6. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Agreed, I got the Motorsports edition with the LCD Bacpac and a 8GB memory card for $320 shipped off of ebay. Reason I went with the GoPro cam is for mounting it to my helmet when I go dirt bike riding.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:14 AM
    carcharias

carcharias Giggiddy what what

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Contoooooouuuuuuuuuur...... :D

8. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:15 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That's a good price , I just paid about $400 up here for the 1080HD model with some extra mounts and memory card

9. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

Yeah tell me about it i wash i had it last weekend i would of got some great video.

10. Jun 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM
    Kernel

Kernel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 6sp Manual
    5100's all 4 corners, front at .85 with Eibach Coils, Rear TSB w/AAL, TRD Catback Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry S, Duratracs, redline hood struts, maglight mod, weathertechs
    have you used one? I read somewhere that they use these on Dirty Jobs. I'd like to know which is better before I buy. Everyone seems happy with the Go Pros.

11. Jun 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

The GoPro is a better camera wider lens faster frame rate more mounting options. And yes they did use the Contour on Dirty Jobs but i don't know if they still do now that the Gopro 1080p came out.

12. Jun 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    Kings all-around w/ 700lb coils, Dakar leaf pack, TC uca's, DO single hoop bumper, BAMF bolt-on sliders w/ kickouts, Rigid 20" e-series spot/flood, aFe pro-dry, BFG KM2 255/85/16, silver TRD FJ wheels, WARN M8000-s, Access LE, Grillcraft, BAMF lightbar, BAMF rear dif skid, BAMF LCA skids, window tint, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech floorliners, Silverstar lights, led dome lights, Redline Tuning hood struts, center console lock mod, mag-lite mod, extra d-rings, re-routed exhaust, ATO skids, ATO Hi-Lift mounts, pipe tailgate lock, seatbelt alarm delete, wheel/spare locks, Viper 5901, LoJack... WISHLIST: a golden canary that poops platinum
    Kernel, yes I've used/own the Contour as well as worked with numerous GoPros, and the Contour is a superior camera for many reasons. Contour has been used in many more programs than "Dirty Jobs", and I'll ask tomorrow if they're still using them.

Jlee, I respectfully disagree (especially w/ two of your three points), and will write up why later tonight when I have a bit more free time on my hands.

13. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:23 AM
    carcharias

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 AC MGM OR
    First off, let me say that you can’t go wrong with either camera. Like modding your truck, it’s what the user ultimately needs and wants. Secondly, I’ve used both the Contour and the GoPro extensively, so I’m not guessing here. This is only my professional opinion, as I’m sure others will disagree; but the Contour has always proven itself to be the better overall camera.

-Contour has an amazing array of mounts, all due to the simple add-on which is a female ¼” adapter, meaning you can screw it. Every professional mount is available to this camera, so GoPro hasn’t a single better mount available to it. My two favorites are a large suction that has held steady in excess of 100mph (legally) as well as a tiny adaptation of the world’s strongest magnet. The bottom of the GoPro is actually a shoddy mount, even with their female thread add-on. Case in point, the recent Baja 500. The camera was torn from it’s mount which was facing the rear of the car. In all fairness it was a custom mount – it was the block shape of the camera that helped break this. When and how did it fall off? No clue since the recently charged battery died not long into the race, just like the 10 other ones that were mounted. The GoPro case is nice and tough, though.

-The battery in a Contour lasts much longer than a GoPro. I get the advertised 3 hours of battery life with about the same amount of footage on a 16GB card. GoPro? Battery quickly dies. We only got 90 minutes of acceptable footage on all GoPros from the start of the race, meaning we missed a ton of great stuff and our project will suffer for it. Thankfully it’s already sold.

-The lens on a Contour is more true-to-life and that means matching it with more professional cameras is a breeze, without jarring the audience. Wider lenses are available for the Contour if needed. The standard GoPro fisheye bows around the edges. It does exist, which means it’s awkward to match footage.

-Standard Contours have leveling lasers so you always know where the camera is facing and whether or not it’s level. GoPro doesn’t have this. The only time I didn’t know where the Contour was shooting was the first two times I used it. Between the two GoPro is always a guess. (Not bringing up both cameras’ ability to now view what you’re filming for extra $)

-You can turn the camera lens of the Contour 3 different ways, which is extremely helpful. You’d have to change the entire angle of the GoPro setup to do the same thing.

-The Contour is more compact and more easily placed. It’s use of small cards is a testament to it’s size, and you can also get up to 32GB hd’s.

-As I recently tested for Aaron (mtnbiker2008 in the “Contour sports camera” thread), the Contour does better in low/no-light scenarios than a GoPro.

-The interface of the Contour is much easier, and takes all the guesswork out of programming it. Prepare to memorize the GoPro settings button sequence before filming.

-Footage from a GoPro we used in an interior setting couldn’t color-correct to the lighting. The Contour took it like a champ and we were able to match all full-sized cameras with the footage.

-Colors and contrast are truer and sharper.

-The shape, lengthwise, of the Contour has been much easier for me to place the camera in better and more cramped locations than the blocky width of the GoPro.

-Contour has a silent mode that has come in handy on numerous occasions.

-Switching between 1080p and 720p is nothing more than sliding a lever once.

-The now highest end Contour has input for an external microphone, as well as an hmdi connection, and the ability to save multiple settings. Most people won’t need this, though.

-The base MSRP for a GoPro is $179.00 and that shoots at best 960p (wtf?). Next step, comparable to a Contour, is priced at $259.99 – which is $10 more than the base Contour.

-About the only thing I don’t like about the Contour is the fact that sun flares can run a vertical streak down the image.

Obviously, there’s more detail in these differences, and what’s written here just scratches the surface. Suffice to say, I love the Contour and will continue to stand by a product that gives me exactly what I ask from it, and the company stands behind not only the camera but also the customer. Marketing for the GoPro has been better, but for ease of use and quality of video I choose Contour FTMFW!!

(No, they do not sponsor me, nor do I receive endorsement money. ;) )

PS I didn't mean to sh*t on your thread, Jerry. That's a great deal for the camera, and a nice find on your part!

14. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Good info thanks man and your not shitting on my thread I'm not selling them I'm just letting people know about the deal. I was reading up and the contour seems like a pretty stout camera.

15. Jun 29, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    Kernel

Kernel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 6sp Manual
    5100's all 4 corners, front at .85 with Eibach Coils, Rear TSB w/AAL, TRD Catback Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry S, Duratracs, redline hood struts, maglight mod, weathertechs
    Great info, thanks! Amazon has the Contour HD for $230 shipped. Last question, Does the Contour HD suffer the same fisheye affect that the Go Pro wide does? This is the main reason I was comparing as I'm not a fan of that distortion.

16. Jun 29, 2011 at 8:15 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    I personally went for the GoPro from the stats comparing the GoPro HD to the Contour HD the GoPro wins for me and needing to buy a separate waterproof housing for the contour kinda sucks.

Here are some reviews I found

http://camarush.com/blog/category/goprohd_vs_contourhd/

http://www.technobrains.com/gopro-hd-hero-vs-vholdr-contourhd-extreme-sport-digital-camera/7696/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAQ10RamNOg&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bCxOkMDsc&feature=player_embedded#at=57

17. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Hmmm...I never even heard of the Contour before. I went with the GoPro cause thats all I saw being used on Supercross.:rolleyes:

18. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

Yeah the Contour is a nice camera but I would only buy the Contour+ if I were to buy one because it will do 1080P at 170* and that one is 499.99 I'm fine with my GoPro

19. Jun 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Oh wow thats pretty pricey but I'm sure its cause its a nice camera. I "liked" my GoPro when it worked properly. I am still waiting for a replacement so this next one better work right. Have you had any issues with yours?

20. Jun 29, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:

It's still in the box i just bought it this week. I used my buddys while snow boarding last season and had to get one. I'm going to shoot some video of the trail to my camp ground this weekend I'll let you know how it go's.

Products Discussed in

To Top