1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

underbody neons on a taco?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by darkturtleninja, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Jan 18, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    2009tacomav6

2009tacomav6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    phx AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4
    TRD SC TRD Cat Back KMC 17x9 Addicts
    i think the lights under the body add a nice touch. Would be cool if they came on at a certian speed...

2. Jan 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    How do you mount these tubes? I like the idea of having them to see on trails or at night... Would never DREAM of turning them on while driving... :)

3. Jan 18, 2009 at 9:57 AM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja [OP] 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    have you ever had any problems with people trying to steal or tamper with them???? that is one of my worries with putting them in my bed.....

4. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    there are different types of brackets... most shops that install them use a ziptie with a loop for a self drilling screw.... and there are band like brackets with holes for screw and also plastic brackets... ill post some pics i have 3 different types.....

newer neons have a hole on each end for screws but i never trust that alone... always use a couple zipties to secure them because plastic brakets can break... although my buddy had his just mounted with a screw on each end and they never came off.....

5. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    mine came with clips to mount the tubes that each just have 1 screw hole. i'm gonna mount the tubes under the bed rails with zip ties most likely

6. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    How about mounting the under the body? Do they screw to the frame or the bottom of the cab, or what?

7. Jan 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    moserjjx

moserjjx Tacoma Newbie

Member:
    Eau Claire, WI
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD 4x4
    Weathertech liners, bed mat, rear spring TSB, extra 12V outlets in center console, seat belt chime off
    When i was under there installing the nerf bars i was looking for good spots. i'm hoping not to drill any holes so if i can use anything existing i will (or fab a a bracket or two). there is so much salt under there its hard to do anything now! i should be able to tuck them up nice without drilling any holes

8. Jan 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    sure they can be mounted to the frame it will just take some drilling.... i would mount them on the side of the frame as high up as possible so there is a lesser chance of being broken while wheeling.... personally id rather mount them to the underside of the cab and bed....we are talking 2 or 3 small screws minumum but i can see how you wouldnt want screws sticking up out of your floor/bed.... i had them going through the floor on my saturn and the carpet was so thick you would never notice

9. Jan 18, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I would think LED spot lights would work better. All the bouncing around you'd do on the trail couldn't be good for a gas-filled tube.

Did you see Silverback07's lights?
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/16835-weekend-worth-wheelin-day-night.html

He bought them from here:
    http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-light

10. Jan 18, 2009 at 7:36 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
  11. Jan 18, 2009 at 8:10 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I've seen Silverback's setup. Pretty sweet! And I figured if do this, I'd put some up front, but thought a long tube might be easier/more efficient than a row of individual lights down the side of the cab. But, I didn't think about the durability of the tube lights... Good point!

12. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    They have them in waterproof ribbons as well:
    http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon

$14 per foot. I don't know how that compares to Neon.

13. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:38 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    I wonder just how bright those can actually get - especially if they are 2-3 feet off the ground...

14. Jan 18, 2009 at 10:42 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    These might be better. They're cheaper.
    http://www.oznium.com/flexible-led-marine-strips

The sample shots look pretty bright.

15. Jan 19, 2009 at 3:30 AM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    neon tubes are actually quite durable.... and waterproof for the most part.... the newer ones are junk imo.... but anyhow.... the gas filled tube you speak of is housed in a high impact lexan tube.... we have dropped them from as high as 6 feet up and no signs of damage.... ive taken my saturn off some pretty sweet jumps at 70mph and it never hurt the neons.... but i will say i had a badass sound system that kept ruining my rear tube..... never broke the tube itself but the electrodes kept breaking and sliding around inside the tube...... but anyhow... it is better to have a shop install them so you get a warranty... i went through 3 tubes in the first month i had them... but i had 2 12" alpine type R's and 2000 watts running to them... it was insane

16. Jan 19, 2009 at 3:49 AM
    darkturtleninja

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    hope this works... these are the 3 types of mounts i have for the neons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top