1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to Become a Mechanical Engineer?!

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by YoungTacoLover, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Jul 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    YoungTacoLover

YoungTacoLover [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Link to where i can see such a scholarship??

2. Jul 3, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    motorsport36

motorsport36 Black Lights Matter

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Furnace, AZ
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 AC 4x4
    I agree with most of the people on this post. The militray is a good opportunity. You can recieve the GI bill for 10 yaers after you complete your service and go to school while you are in as well. If you go stay local go to a comminity college as the cost is much cheaper. Just be prepared to do your homework in regards to if the classes transfer to a 4 year school. Arizona has a course transfer website that compares classes from all levels and what they will transfer to at the 4 year level. Seek an advisors help, but do not trust what they say. You should also seek advisement for whatever 4 year college you are looking to attend. Let them know what your intentions are and advise them of the classes you are taking at the community college level. They will advise you as well on what to take and what not to take at the CC level. There are classes that do not transfer and you will only be wasting your time and money at that point. Also, if you are wanting to do your degree quicker and have the drive and motivation, you can finish early. I completed my AA at GCC in 11 months starting from scratch and taking summer classes. I also did the same at ASU graduating with my BS in criminology in less than a year and am already starting on my masters. If you plan ahead, work hard, and take extra classes, you can finish early.

3. Jul 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Those are my goals... I am planning ahead an entire year ( Senior year starts aug. and ends in may ) so i havent even started my senior year yet, so i am planning, planning, planning. Making sure everything i do has a complete plan, for every option i may have ( atm its between military or student loan ) ... Thanks for the advise

4. Jul 3, 2011 at 4:43 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    actually it is negative, it was/is all scholarships. Here in NM, local residents get what's called the lottery scholarship which completely pays tuition if you keep a 2.5 GPA or higher. Then of course I went crazy during my senior year of high school applying for every scholarship possible which has so far more than covered room and the retarded meal plan they make us buy when living on campus (which is why Im finally moving off campus this year).

5. Jul 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
  6. Jul 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Thanks Oliver :D Oh and when is a good time in my senior year to start applying for scholarships? As soon as i start, or wait a few months til the middle of the year, or like the last month...???

UPDATE : After reading the SAE Scholarship for Highschool student becoming a Freshmen in college the application deadline is in January. Is most scholarships like this? Ending in January?

7. Jul 3, 2011 at 10:59 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    they're all different. Definitely start looking into them now and find out the deadlines. You will have to write essays for some of them.

8. Jul 3, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    okay thanks... Anyone know any Scholarships i can look into? Because i have NO idea where to start looking:facepalm:

9. Jul 4, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    well I know there are websites that can search for them for you based on some parameters, but I don't remember what they were called. Maybe someone else will chime in.

10. Jul 4, 2011 at 2:35 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Hopefully... Ive been searching all morning but i dont really know what to even look up...

11. Jul 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    as far as scholarships...apply for EVERYTHING...that was one of my mistakes...there are SOOOOO many different scholarships out there and itll be worth it to apply to as many as you can

12. Jul 4, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Well is there specific Scholarships to look up specifically for what im going to do, or just apply to anything that is somewhat similar to a guy going to Community College for two years, and then @ years in a university?

Does every scholarship work for any school. Community College or University?? Or is there specific scholarships???

Should i worry about getting scholarships for Community College first and then search for Transfer scholarships later on like middle of my 2nd year in CC??

13. Jul 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    idk if scholarships work for CC, i would ask the counselor on that one. But regardless, scholarships are good, go to collegeboard.com and use their scholarship search, it asks you questions and then matches you to scholarships.

There are scholarships for everything whether it is for going into an engineering program or for being an excellent basket weaver...haha sarcasm but there are really scholarships for everything. Check with your counselor on any that your school gives out as well. My school gave out scholarships from $500 to i think a little under $2000. Also if there is skillsUSA( i believe they have some engineering stuff, but i know they do like auto body and auto tech stuff) at your school or something similar join that they will most likely give out scholarships.

Some scholarships work for certain schools which i believe are usually given out by the school it self but i think most of the scholarships on college board work at whichever school you go to

i hope this helped out man, let me know if you have more questions

14. Jul 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Hmm still not clear... I still have to start my Senior Year ( August 4th - May 16 ) So.... Shouldnt i wait and apply for the appropriate year? ( 2012-2013 ) ?????

15. Jul 4, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    BTW : Im setting up my Cp;;ege stuff... I found a Community College i can attend to first for a Associates Degree in CAD and Design... Should i do that???

16. Jul 4, 2011 at 11:05 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
  17. Jul 4, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    YoungTacoLover

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Wish I had one </3
    Sorry, another thing... I need to write an essay have atleast a 2.0 GPA for a Scholarship to a 2 year school. Though.... What should the keypoints of the essay be?

18. Jul 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    a 2.0? you have that right? 2.0 is setting the bar low, no?

they left the topic of the essay wide opened?

engineer is a great field. good luck! college classes are not that difficult. i was a total eff up in high school, and i blasted thru college once i hit my stride.

19. Jul 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    Xshark

Xshark Well-Known Member

Member:
    None of those are engineering. It they add 'technology' to the end, then they are not offering an engineering degree.
    Use this site to search for a college that is ABET accredited.

ABET, Inc., is the recognized accreditor for college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology. Among the most respected accreditation organizations in the U.S., ABET has provided leadership and quality assurance in higher education for over 75 years.

http://www.abet.org/

With a poor high school GPA, your best bet is to attend a community college and take some core classes (English, history, calculus, etc), then transfer to an ABET college. I'd make sure you know what classes will transfer beforehand. Otherwise, you will have to take the class all over again and waste time and money. Therefore, you should have a pretty good idea of what engineering college you want to transfer to before you start.

Get a good ACT/SAT score, that can help overcome a poor GPA.
    Don't bother taking classes (CAD, etc) that do not apply to your major or won't transfer. Talking to a college advisor will help will that.

Start with talking to your high school councilor and tell them your plan.
    They can help.

Finally, if it says "technology" in the name, its not an engineering degree.

Good Luck.

~BSME University of Arkansas, 1996

20. Jul 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    ^^^X2!!!

ABET accredited school only. why waste time and money otherwise. most companies will not hire a ME without an accredited degree.

To Top