1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A.R.E. Brand topper/shell/cap owners question for ya

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Simon's Mom, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jul 7, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom [OP] Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have a chance to pick up a used CX cap for $375 but the front piece has come off & needs to get reattached. :confused:

The seller bought a new tacoma & was going to keep the cap even though it did not match (silver to MGM). He did tell me he was the original owner (07) & where he bought both caps.

At lunch I went to talk to the cap dealer since I have done business with him before & he enlightened me to the fact that yes the colormatch was an issue but more so, the front piece metal frame came off during the switchover. It would have to get reattached to be totally leakproof. He told me he would fix it for about $100 & the cap is worth $350-375 since finding them used is difficult.

The cap for me is mainly only going to get used in winter time, not year round. So what to do? I have no idea what they are talking since all my ARE caps were not for the newer tacomas. I just would like something inexpensive for the winter, more weight & gear storage for snowmobiling.

Any input or pics of said area is appreciated. I go see the cap on Sunday. Thanks

2. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I have the MX so it might be different but here's a pic of the inside of the shell. I'm not sure which piece came off, the window trim? Also, FWIW, my windows are very leaky. Water doesn't rush in, just slowly weeps in around the edges of the windows so the edges of the bed usually get wet. The platform helps keep things off the floor and the water usually just runs by the platform so everything stays dry. I've never been a fan of caps but now that I have one I definitely like it a lot! Also, that price is about 1/2 of what I picked up mine for used and much lower than I've seen them advertised for on here or at any cap distributer.
    [​IMG]

3. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    i have an ARE cap. no leaks. there is a serial number on a tiny plate. the plate is on the "ceiling" of the cap. drivers side, towards middle/rear if i remember correctly.

i took that number and called ARE to find parts. they are readily available..(parts)

4. Jul 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    Thanks Guys! That information and pics are very helpful. I will post some pics after I buy it on Sunday unless it is completely trashed but the dealer knew the cap so that gave me some reassurance & plus your owners feedback helps.

The cap is silver so it will not match my Impulse Red but think it will not look too bad.

5. Jul 11, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    OK I went and check it out & it was in brand new shape. The seller bought a new 11 in MGM & upgraded to a more featured cap. This only has the sliders on the side with screens.

Already bought a new locking T-Handle off of Ebay I think it worked out well for a $375 investment plus $15 for the new T Handle. Was going to take it off but I think the tonneau is staying in the garage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Jul 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Good find and great price, that's a nice looking shell ya got there! :thumbsup:

7. Jul 11, 2011 at 1:07 PM
    Simon's Mom

Member:
    First Name:
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    Stock for now
    Thanks Mike, your pics & comments sold me on getting one. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in