1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Crank Seal Leaking....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MSUtacoboy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    MSUtacoboy

MSUtacoboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver DC 4x4 Trd off-road
    i purchased this truck used 2008 with 54k miles on it. i've put about 7k since i got it 7 months. no problems what so ever.

a week or so i started noticing a burning oil smell when i'd come to a stop. i didnt have any drops on the garage floor and i couldn't tell where the leak was coming from. But the front of the engine was covered in oil. the truck wasn't running low on oil, according to the dip stick.

then a few days later i had two drops on the floor.... took it to the shop(local ind). guy cleans the engine and found the leak. i personally figured it'd be the timing chain cover, which would have cost a fortune to fix. but, to my delight, he calls and tells me that it's the front crank seal that has the leak. i have been trying to convince myself this whole time that it's going to be okay to pay $1800+ for the fix.

$200 for the seal fix. i'd rather pay that than what i was thinking this whole time.

if i had to fix it, it wouldnt be fixed for a few weeks, i dont want to drive around with it leaking for the time being, so i said "getter done" (no, not really, just adding some MS redneck in there) let's do it.

thanks for allowing the blog entry. :eek:

2. Feb 7, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    :eek: an hour for timing chain cover?? I dont know about that. It takes more then hour on inline 6 (1FZ-FE) and that thing has no serpentine belt and much more room to work with. I can see 1GR would be slightly easier since has wimpy oil pans but still.
    An Hour on 1GR that would be a Guiness record :D, Not sure what that paper gasket roll is for.

3. Feb 7, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    MSUtacoboy

MSUtacoboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver DC 4x4 Trd off-road
    i did a search on this board.

plus the guy said it called for 18 hour job

4. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    is this the leak i have in the pic below?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. May 5, 2016 at 2:40 AM
    Charlot

Charlot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    They will change my front crank seal today at my Dealer.
    Two weeks ago after an oil change,noticed that when i was cleaning my truck that it was dreaping under the motor,thought they made some mistake doing the oil change the same week.
    No,the motor was pretty much very dirty in the lower front.
    So they cleaned it then told me that this front crank seal needs to be replaced.
    Cost is suppose to be one hour and a half.
    Plus 12 bucks for the seal.
    Though now they scheduled me two weeks later,that i was nt impressed.
    This morning my Tac has the apointment at 8 am.
    They already have one hour and a half on my bill,because of that cleaning and inspection time,so at least three hours will be charge for this.
    On that particular day they found the problem,they sented me home for a waiting tme of two weeks ,without my skid plate and that big metal plate that protects my motor,they just layed it in my truck bed without telling me,when i found out that they did nt put it back,went again to tell them that i was nt impressed that these parts were not put back .If they would have done the work the next day,find,but for a two weeks time without any protection under there,,no way.They were not happy to see me that morning.They put it back,but made me wait,and also gave me the long face.
    Anyways,they are suppose to the replacement this morning,i hope they don t charge me too much.
    I will let you know what will be the charge later tonight.

6. May 5, 2016 at 2:43 AM
    Charlot

Charlot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD 2018 Upgraded
    Total cost was 335
    Though they already had one hour and a half of labor to begin with.
    So cleaned the engin,then second time they replaced it,total with taxes 335.
    Not cheap,but i thought it was nt bad,and glad that it is done.
    They asked me to change my surpentine belt that they changed last year,because it had some oil on it ,though they also told me that it could last a year like it might start to make noise next week,they dont know..I will wait.
    Charly

Products Discussed in

To Top