1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Working*Remove the seat belt ding* Non Permanent

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Grantel, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jul 14, 2011 at 6:04 PM
    Grantel

Grantel [OP] Member

Member:
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma
    2011 sr5 - "Non permanent removal of the seatbelt ding" mod.

The forum disclaimer. Dont be a fool, wear your seatbelt. Im not responsible for any damages to yourself, your property, or anyone who may be injured during the operation of YOUR vehicle. Dont try to fool your insurance after a wreck, they will know. Be safe, and I didnt tell you to do this mod.

Ok guys, first post on mod here, so please ask any questions for information I didnt cover. Takes about 30 minutes, and uses tools you already have.
    <br>

1. Tools
    Small pliers
    Small Tweezers (Locking really helps)
    1x jumbo/large paper clip (Thin/small WILL NOT work)
    MM gauge/calipers
    Wire Cutters
    Small mirror (I stole the wifes makeup thingy and broke the mirror off)
    Small flat head screw driver (head <3mm)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <br>
    1.5 - Create paperclip thingy-
    You will want a paper clip, straighten out one side to about 6.5-7mm and put an "L" in the straightened part. Now on the long side of the "L" you will want roughly 10mm long(longer is better).
    [​IMG]

<br>
    2. Adjust Seat -
    You will want to start with the drivers side belt, its just easier for some reason. Slide the seat all the way back, and lean the back of the seat all the way towards the bed of the truck.

<br>

3. Locate the black cover that hides the seatbelt closure magnetic switch. Find the snaps that hold it in place. One snap hole is easily visible, the others not so much. There are four in total, two on each side, and two on each side on the bottom of the black cover. Insert the small screwdriver under the hole and twist the screwdriver sideways and the snap will undo. Once all four are unsnapped, lift the bottom/back of the cover towards the center console and then towards the floor till it pops off.
    [​IMG]

<br>

You will see the electronics for the magnetic switch. Note the two snaps that hold it in place. You will need to pull both of those back, while lifting up the wires(gently) to pull the switch out of the way.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<br>

5. Now the fun part begins. Get out your pocket mirror and look at whats going on so you know what you are doing. Pull some slack in the seatbelt and while you have the mirror down there, put the seatbelt in and pull it out so you can see what the slide mechanism looks like. This is a magnetic switch that while the seatbelt in, it is slid towards the bottom and pulls a switch closed, which keeps your door ding OFF. So the goal of this is to close that loop semi-permanently. At its most closed position(seatbelt in) you will see a tiny gap between the white piece of plastic, and the guide that holds it.

[​IMG]

<br>

6. Install paper clip thingy
    If you look in the mirror, right above the gap between the magnetic slide, you will notice a gulley in the plastic base. Thats where we will stick the long end of the "L" of the paperclip. There are multiple gulleys so make sure its the one thats JUST large enough for your jumbo paperclip to fit into, AND is above the gap. Its hard enough to slide this in with the magnet when you have the right hole(we know how hard that is guys). You will want the short end of the "L" to fit between the white magnetic slide and the plastic base.
    [​IMG]

7. Test your setup.
    If you installed the clip properly you should be able to see the white magnet thing while the seatbelt is out of the holder. While holding the mirror there and watching your setup, insert and remove the belt a few times to make sure your switch block wont fall out.

<br>

8. - Finish up
    Slide the electronics back the way you found them(gently) and slide the plastic cover back on.

9. You are done!

2. Jul 14, 2011 at 6:17 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    That's pretty cool however why not jumper the switch permanently?

3. Jul 14, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does this have any advantages over the other method, which takes about 20 seconds?

4. Jul 14, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    Grantel

Grantel [OP] Member

Member:
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma
    didnt know there was one. I searched the forums. No luck, so I made one.

5. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    Grantel

Grantel [OP] Member

Member:
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma
    unless you are talking about the one odometer one, which I tried a few dozen times with no success.

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Grantel

Grantel [OP] Member

Member:
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma
    I found the wires hard to access. Just seemed easier, without cutting wire wrapping, or splicing wires. I suppose one of the wire splicers would work well.

7. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    VermonterLost

VermonterLost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Castleton, VT
    Vehicle:
    2014 F150
    Not to be a buzzkill but there has to be some simpler method than that. I bought my truck in NH, over 18 you don't need a seatbelt, therefore mine does not ding. Pretty sure there has to be one of those wierd ass codes, wish I could tell you what it is. No way the dealership goes through every truck and does this just for a ding ding noise.

8. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
  9. Jul 14, 2011 at 7:49 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    ^ Works for me too everytime.

1) Turn the Car 'ON', but do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.
    2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened
    3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start the car (Leave you foot off the break) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a long 12 second count.
    4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt, as soon as you fasten your seat belt, you should see the ODO display go from XXXX miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set and turn the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.

10. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    Grantel

Grantel [OP] Member

Member:
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma

I have tried it dozens of times with no results, works on the 2010's for sure. I have yet to hear anyone with an 11 say its worked, which is why instead of waiting for it to come to me, i would fix it. Ill hit it up tomorrow and try a dozen or so more times on my lunch break.

11. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
  12. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    TXBulldawg

TXBulldawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver 4Runner SR5 4x4
    In progress...
    You have now. Did it two days after I bought my '11.

13. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:25 AM
    NaYoung

NaYoung Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    Guess I'm the second to tell you it works on an 11 without the white guages. If you have the white guages just to to the dealer and they will turn it off for you in less than 5 min for free.

14. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:29 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    What color are your gauges? Nobody with the newer white gauge cluster has been able to get it to work.

15. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    rex99

rex99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TArdCOMAWORLD
    Vehicle:
    Proton Cruiser
    Rocket Boosters, Flux Capacitor, Escape Pod, Throttle Body Spacer, Homeroshi, ATRAC disable
    You know the seat belt chime mod that works EVERYTIME????

WEARING THE SEAT BELT

16. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:38 AM
    TXBulldawg

TXBulldawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Silver 4Runner SR5 4x4
    In progress...
    I've got the pre-white non-blinding gauges.

17. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    NaYoung

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    ^^^ Not entirely accurate...

18. Jul 15, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Have you ever worked on a farm or performed other manual labor with your truck? When you do this, you drive 15 mph tops for less than an hour at a time to move stuff for offloading, and jump in and out of the truck a hojillion times. You don't wear a seatbelt, and you don't want to hear it yelling at you while you are at a dead stop in the middle of an empty field.

19. Jul 15, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    NaYoung

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD ORDC
    How many zeros are in a "hojillion"??? :rolleyes:

20. Jul 15, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    15?

Products Discussed in

To Top