1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

URD Y-Pipe vs DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe.

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by extremachn1, Jun 19, 2011.

?

Which Y-pipe is the best for my truck....

Poll closed Jul 19, 2011.
  1. URD Y-pipe @ $489

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. DT "Pipe Bomb" Y-pipe @ $300

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. My cousins, nephews, grandma has (insert Y-pipe name here) on her tacoma and loves it!!!

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. US THE D%!M SEARCH YOU B@ST3RD!!!

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Jul 14, 2011 at 5:57 AM
    09Doright8126

09Doright8126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Offroad Pyrite Prerunner
    Aires chrome bullbar, Wet Okole seat covers, 6" KC offroad Slimlites w/ covers, upper Grillecraft black w/ TRD emblem, Redline hood struts, URD TCAI w/ black wrap, URD MAF Sensor, NST pulleys, NST intake manifold spacer, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach coils painted red, painted red brake calipers, SST brake lines, debadged tailgate, window tint, bed mat, extra D-rings, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, swaybar removed, DTLT headers, URD Y-pipe, Vibrant Resonator, MagnaFlow
    I've been researching and I think to get some back pressure back and quite down the rasp I'm gonna install both a cat and resonator in front of the muffler... what do you guys think??

I've found the vibrant ultra quiet resonator (bit expensive) but haven't determined which cat to get yet.

2. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM
    TacoSupreem

TacoSupreem Dirty Trucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    I don't think you need a cat. From what i've heard and read. You need a resonator or a chambered muffler. So that you can tune the exhaust pulses. A straight threw type muffler with long tubes and no cat's will make it extremely loud and raspy/buzzy. So maybe a resonator or get 2 muffler's if thats cheaper. Lots of guys are running 2 muffler's. One chambered and one straight threw. Make sense?

3. Jul 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM
    09Doright8126

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    Aires chrome bullbar, Wet Okole seat covers, 6" KC offroad Slimlites w/ covers, upper Grillecraft black w/ TRD emblem, Redline hood struts, URD TCAI w/ black wrap, URD MAF Sensor, NST pulleys, NST intake manifold spacer, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach coils painted red, painted red brake calipers, SST brake lines, debadged tailgate, window tint, bed mat, extra D-rings, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, swaybar removed, DTLT headers, URD Y-pipe, Vibrant Resonator, MagnaFlow
    Yeah... so a muffler like a Magnaflow? This Wicked Flow is nice but very open/aggresive and I don't think will work with what I got going on and am expecting.

4. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Maybe like a dynomax super turbo(this is the muffler used in the URD exhaust for long tube headers) and a 18" magnaflow behind that.

5. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:16 AM
    TacoSupreem

Member:
    First Name:
    Hayden
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Here is member SuperWerty's truck. He has 2 mufler's. Basically he has the long tube headers, URD y-pipe and the URD exhaust with the turbo muffler and another magnaflow welded in there too. Then he dumped it after the axle.
    http://youtu.be/ubSy9Nykoso

6. Jul 14, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    09Doright8126

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    Wow... that did sound much better! I PM'd him and he said the same thing. I already pulled the trigger and am getting a Vibrant resonator and Magnaflow muffler. I don't mind the exhaust being a little loud but the rasp has got to go, it's driving me insane!

7. Jul 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Now this sounds more like what i want. That dosent sound bad at all.

8. Jul 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    outlaw7

outlaw7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    PacNorWest
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd sport
    heres long tubes, urd y pipe, and the new urd mk2 catback. i have a nasty leak at the y pipe/cat back flange but have v-bands waiting to get welded in. This setup sounds incredible even with the hissing from the leak.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5UNYo89dMA

9. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:58 PM
    05xr

05xr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ok, I just snagged a used Urd y pipe. I will try and post some impressions and audio clips once installed.

Basically S/C, DTLT, and 2 magnaflow mufflers will be in the mix. I was even thinking of thermal wrapping the Y pipe to insulate some sound. I remember feeling some resonance through the floor boards with the thorley y pipe

10. Sep 28, 2012 at 1:07 PM
    staymates788

staymates788 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SEAN
    Anaheim, CA USA
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed w/ TRD Sport
    I know this is an old thread, but thought this would be the right place for my question:

Has anyone tried to take a URD Y Pipe for the 4x4 and weld in the stock cats? Here in CA I'm trying to see my options for some exhaust upgrades while remaining CARB Legal.

11. Mar 19, 2013 at 3:05 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    bumpo

12. Mar 20, 2013 at 6:52 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Problem is that even if you weld cats into place you still won't be CARB legal unless URD, or someone, certifies the mod with CARB.

13. Mar 20, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    gotcha..........................money talks

14. Mar 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

1) put in OE Y pipe for inspection.

2) install URD after.

3) redo steps 1 and 2 as necessary

:D

My DT has resonators so I'm not worried about some cop spot checking my exhaust. First off he will never have a reason to. I'm going to try and pass emissions with my resonators and see what happens. The exhaust dump after the axle will cause some issues I expect though.

15. May 21, 2014 at 12:03 PM
    1tacoplease

1tacoplease I like my truck!

Member:
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    2008 BSP 4x4 6 speed
    265/70/17 BFG RT's, FJ 17" rims with 1.25" spidertraxx Debadged, HID's, URD short shifter, Bilstein 5100's in the front, TSB and 1" block rear, URD TCAI with maf calibrator, JBL long tubes, DT Y pipe, Gibson exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pioneer stereo, Bak flip G2 tonneau, TRD skid plate, MB Quarts all around with dynomat, Viper Alarm with motion sensor
    I just read through the this whole thread and I'm on the same boat. I'm planning on getting the DT Y pipe bomb, but don't want it to be too loud. I have long tubes and a catback but was thinking of welding in another resonator or a powerstick. Any thoughts?

16. May 22, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    I have the same setup + the TRD SC and had a problem with the exhaust being very loud so i've installed a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. I'm very hapy with the result. The DT Y pipe bomb is not perfect. I've changed the clamp (u-bolt style) supplied with it for one like a band cause i hade a leak. The Y-pipe is running very close to the transfer case actuator possibly generating heat. I don't like the wrapping but find a very interesting product that keep an air gap between the blanket and the pipe. Very, very nice product.

http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/titaniumpipeshield-heatshield.aspx

Nice store and perfect service.

17. May 22, 2014 at 10:45 AM
    Ryan Tucker

Ryan Tucker Do it Dont talk about it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Terrell Texas
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM Tacoma
    TRD Sport Camper Top
    I did not want the restriction of any wye so I ordered the longest dual inlet single outlet Magnaflow they make 33" and did away with it. Ran true 2 1/4" from each bank back into the new muffler then used the factory tail pipe and installed a TRD stainless tip. Will run 4-5 tanks through her then post the millage diff if any, I hope there is, seat of the pants power is noticeable although I know the little extra sound helps exaggerate that.

With the cruise set at hwy speeds its about the same sound as factory, in town in the lower gears it has a quite deep tone with no V6 rasp or silly bumble bee sound, Ive enjoyed a quite truck, I wanted to improved efficiency w/o getting the noise

18. May 22, 2014 at 6:44 PM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    304 ss FTW

19. May 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM
    1tacoplease

1tacoplease I like my truck!

Member:
    Temecula
    Vehicle:
    2008 BSP 4x4 6 speed
    265/70/17 BFG RT's, FJ 17" rims with 1.25" spidertraxx Debadged, HID's, URD short shifter, Bilstein 5100's in the front, TSB and 1" block rear, URD TCAI with maf calibrator, JBL long tubes, DT Y pipe, Gibson exhaust, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Pioneer stereo, Bak flip G2 tonneau, TRD skid plate, MB Quarts all around with dynomat, Viper Alarm with motion sensor
    Thanks, I plan on getting this. Which size did you purchase?

20. May 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    Vassily28

Vassily28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quebec, Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD SPORT 4x4 Quadcab LB
    TRD supercharger with 2.85" URD stealth pulley and OEM FPR mod. URD fuel pump upgrade, URD TB plate adapter 70mm, FJ/4 runner 70 mm Throttle body, URD exhaust cam gears URD performance thermostat TRD CAI 1st gen. with custom cover (coupe), ProDry S + Filter skin, Doug thorley long tube headers, URD spec U exhaust Icon LT 2.5 front coilover, Timbren front bumpstops, Total Choas UCA, Deaver custom leafpack 3 inch. lift, Icon 2.5 VS series rear resishocks, Timbren rear bumpstops, ARB front bumper with WARN 8500 lbs winch,Hella 500 blackmagic, AVID rear bumper, Allpro front IFS skid + Trans. skid + Transfercase skid. Total chaos LCA skid, SS braided brake line, URD O2 sims, URD MAF controller, Wetokole front seatcovers, Innovate MTX-L, MTX-D AFR and boost gage.
    I've installed the 1 ft long Under the tranfer case. Don't hesitate to install it over the Y-pipe splice clamp.

Cause, to be sure' i've already ordered a 2 ft long, i've insalled it Under the passenger side between the Y (2 to 1) and the front O2 sensor andit fitting pretty well:)

Products Discussed in

To Top