1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

hauling a bike with uhal motorcycle trailer

Discussion in 'Towing' started by franzcars, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jul 21, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Back the truck up to a curb or ditch. If you plan it right, you can make it so the bike actually goes downhill onto the bed of the truck. Renting a trailer to tow a 250 is ridiculous, 2 people can lift it onto the truck, it's not a heavy bike. Save youself some money and get to it!

Also, you don't push a motorcycle up a ramp, you walk next to it and let the bike's engine do the work. Put the bike in first and feather the clutch so it drives itself up the ramp. 2 people can very easily steady a bike on a ramp. Get 2 ramps, one to walk on, one for the bike.

Look at the 3rd picture in this thread to see what I mean about backing up to a ditch so you're pushing the bike up a steep ramp.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/motorcycles/120955-loading-motorcycle-dcsb-pics.html

2. Jul 21, 2011 at 7:10 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Let's think about this for a moment. Guy who's just leaning how to drive wants to tow a trailer. This is where a parent usually steps in and says, "Let's not put the cart before the horse!" Towing is difficult enough without being anexperienced driver. One error in making a corner can send your trailer out of control, and turn your nice toys into twisted metal.
    I'm all for learning new skills, but one thing at a time.

3. Jul 21, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    muddin

muddin Well-Known Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma DC TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's on all four with some OME 885x's. Brute Force Fab front bumper. Warn winch. Koenig countersteers wrapped with duratracs.
    you have three options in my book...and i have done all of them.

1) stop being a puss and ride the damn thing home. your never gonna learn till u hop and go (did this)...07 gsxr 600

2) get a atv/motorcycle ramp and place it on the tailgate...use the straps to secure it, and three able bodied bros...one on each side and one in the back...guid it up the ramp w/o the motor on. VERY EASY

3) Get a few guys and just lift the thing up. and then to get it down back up to a hill and plop it down.

either 3 are all easy. Id go with number one cas i know when i got my bike i couldnt sleep for 3 days before picking it up and knew id learn as i went along with it...as long as u know the basics...clutch, hand brake, foot brake you be fine.

good luck

4. Jul 21, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    franzcars

franzcars [OP] I'm different, in a different way

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU
    my friends parents shop does u-haul so i could prolly rent it for free. also my dad'd prolly drive the truck not me. any body know of some fairly cheap ramps? i'll prolly get mine from Home depot

5. Jul 21, 2011 at 12:28 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    2 decent length 2x10's (I think mine are 8') and they make bolt on ends. Cheap, decent ramps and you should be able to find the end kit I'm referring to at Home Depot or Lowes. The only bad part is transporting them because they don't fold in half. If you want those, Ohio Steel makes great folding aluminum ramps that aren't crazy expensive. If you google Ohio Steel Ramps, you'll find online retailers for them.

6. Jul 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    just push it up a ramp! you’r in a 5 lug! that should be easy as cutting a pice of cake! me and dad pulled the tundra down the drive way. so the ramp was not as steep. and pushed a 418 pound atv up in it. the tail gate was till higher than you’r will be.

7. Jul 21, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Don't feel bad about not putting it in the bed.
    Loading a bike up a ramp isn't a big deal once you get used to it, but until you've done it a bit it can feel precarious.
    Especially since you are just getting your first bike and haven't ridden or learned the feel of the bike yet. Better safe than sorry.
    And contrary to what some others have said, it's not that light compared to bigger sportbikes.... 10 years ago it was the case, but over the last several years the bigger bikes have gone on diets big time to get to the 400lb range, which is about the same as that 250.
    And I commend your bike choice. Lots of people call them "Ninjettes" or "Baby Ninjas" or say it's a girl's bike, but it's good to start with a smaller bike while you learn.
    I've had a dozen or so bikes, and my first 2 were 250 Ninjas (then a 400cc before jumping to 1000+cc). Now my wife has a 250 Ninja.
    >>Off the soap box<<
    Feel free to PM me if you ever have any questions, or find a good 250 Ninja forum. They have a cult following so there is tons of good info out there.

8. Jul 21, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    franzcars

franzcars [OP] I'm different, in a different way

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU

thanks for the info. i know ill load it in the bed eventualy but not now

9. Jul 21, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    I guess maybe my post got overlooked.... just lift that bitch. It isnt heavy. Strap it in and you are good. We rode 1 mile with a bike unstrapped in the back of my truck with just my buddy holding it and nothing bad happened... a ninja 250 weights under 350lbs so you could easily lift that with 2 guys. Dont bother with the ramp.

10. Jul 21, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    it probably got over looked for a reason. 400lbs in the weight room is one thing, a ton of weight, 400lbs in the real world is hole different thing....an ass fucking ton of weight. like mentioned above ninjas are almost 400lbs, quit trying to prove your strong, no one cares.

11. Jul 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    yotamikez

yotamikez Street glide or die

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Valrico
    Vehicle:
    04 civic & 08 Street glide
    ... I'm not trying to prove I am strong... I am saying me and my buddy picked up his gsxr600 no issue. 400lbs divided by two isnt much weight. Why waste money on ramps he might only use once?

oh but now I see he can use the uhaul for free so why not?

12. Jul 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    You won't have any problem putting it back of the truck but I see why you'd want to use a trailer. If you have the towing package, you should only need the 4-pin adapter, if anything.

One thing you'll need is a set of good quality tie downs. For the Ninja, you might also want a Canyon Dancer--this spans the bars and keeps the tie-downs off the plastics (the tie downs attach to it and it slips over the bar ends). A second set of tie downs would help you keep the back of the bike from hoping around--just use the passenger as your tie points.

Good luck with your MSF class and enjoy your new motorcycle.

13. Jul 22, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Just thinking about it...screw driving it up on ramps.

Build a ramp and jump the bike into the bed. Much cooler this way and the ladies love that kind of awesomeness.

14. Jul 22, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    http://youtu.be/E5Ht2CkX13E
    :D

15. Jul 22, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    dan0

dan0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    swamplands of sc
    Vehicle:
    Sold 2011 Prerunner Doublecab 4cyl auto
    what a moron
    doesn't look like they broke anything, though

16. Aug 6, 2011 at 3:50 AM
    tam

tam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tam
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    Reasons to steal my truck...
    Icon Ext. Travel C/O, TC UCA, Spidertrax 1.25" spacers, CF hood, Glass bedsides, Doug Thorley cat-back, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac 265/75/16
    Dude, it's a 250, back up to the curb and lift it in to the back of your truck. That's what 6 inches? I used to use my truck to "chase" my friends on their bikes until they lost me in the twisties in case anything happened. One time we had an R6 fail and it took 3 of us to lift it into the back of the truck but the fact is we did it. Just make sure you have ratcheting straps to tie it down.

Why bother getting a trailer getting the truck set up for towing, borrowing the trailer, returning the trailer? Hell, you said your cousin is going to test ride it for you, why can't he ride it home for you?

Products Discussed in

To Top