1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

In Need of Stereo System Help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bbingham, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Jan 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    bbingham

bbingham [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4 Extended Cab. I am sick of having horrible sound from my stereo. I recently blew out my front driver and passenger side door speakers from just having the music too loud and replaced them with some junky $40 pioneers from Wal-Mart. I don't know a whole lot about car audio systems as this is my first car. I would like to know what all I would need to purchase and what would fit/be reasonable for a small truck like this. I don't care about being so loud that everyone parked behind me at a red light hears it just something that will provide some bass and good sound. I've been told I'd need tweeters (don't know exactly what those are), obviously a sub, an amp, and some new speakers. What else would be reasonable? Like I said I don't want a whole lot of power just something to give it some sound quality. Also if anyone has any good places to put the sub(s) that would be good because I really don't want to block off my back seat area because I use that space a lot during hunting season to haul stuff in. Any help is appreciated.

2. Jan 22, 2009 at 11:51 PM
    808trdsport

808trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner
    6000k HIDS, double tint in the back and tint front side windows, CGS cat back exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter
    about how much are you willing to spend? That would help.

3. Jan 23, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    bbingham

bbingham [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    I can't really say how much I would want to spend because I've never bought a system. A family friend recently put a system in his Jetta that cost over $1200 but I wouldn't spend near that. I basically want to make it sound good for the cheapest price possible. I don't know if that's any help or not.

4. Jan 23, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    808trdsport

808trdsport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD Sport Prerunner
    6000k HIDS, double tint in the back and tint front side windows, CGS cat back exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter
    well you can start with a decent head unit. You can get a decent one for under $100 http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Car-Receivers.html?tp=5684
    Get one with 4 channels, and rca sub out if possible. Speakers do get better in quality and sound with the price. As far as sub boxes, i know someone else here can help you out.

5. Jan 23, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    bbingham

bbingham [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4
    I actually replaced the head unit after my stock one decided to stop playing CDs... My new decided the other day it didn't want to give me my CD back so I'm replacing it again tonight. I'll look for one with that and see what I can find.

6. Jan 30, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    Jpf8653

Jpf8653 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    I would go with ebay over crutchfield. crutch is expensive. i have alpine 5x7 type R speakers all the way around. Not to bad on price but they really sound good. i would buy them again in a heart beat. i actually have a 400 watt amp on them. far as subs. cheap with good sound go with rockford fosgate. punch P1 or P2 10". Excellent subs for there price. Also price local audio shops and Best buy is always good. Usually free install on some products when you buy with them.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jan 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    I am impressed that you have had good luck with your choices. I don't doubt that you have. In my experience though, ebay sucks. I've been burned too many times by sellers and buyers, not to mention ebay itself is now made up of storefronts and there are rarely any great deals for the headaches that are all too common. Crutchfield on the other hand may not be the cheapest place online to find equipment, thier customer service and the little extra things they throw in are very good. They will let you know if something fits and will give you complete installation instructions and accessories with your order. Nice touch if you aren't particularly familiar with a/v stuff.

RF gear is not generally regarded as being really good equipment for the price, at least not in the car audio crowd that I am familiar with. And the 5x7 is not the preferred speaker size if you can go with a component set (fit can be an issue, but the sound is typically superior).

I would never trust Best Buy with a vehicle install either. I have seen too many friends get crappy installation at Best Buy and Circuit City. Local installers are typically alright if you bought your equipment from them. But there isn't much better than installing your own equipment. Gives a sense of satisfaction that you did it yourself and that it is done correctly. Not to mention the money you can save.

8. Jan 30, 2009 at 8:18 PM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Depending on what all the extra features you want you can spend a little or you can spend a lot. I would look for a decent HU in the $250 range to start off with. A single DIN Pioneer or Kenwood (just personal preference) would likely offer you a good platform to work with if you want to add new speakers and amplifiers and subs at some point. They are also good quality and readily available for you to be able to shop around and find a good price.

What ever you do, go to some car audio shops and listen to speakers and figure out what it is that you like. Play with the HUs and figure out what makes the most sense for your hands to navigate and what options you might be able to add in the future.

9. Jan 31, 2009 at 5:29 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    I really have not had to much installed from bestbuy only bought there stuff. As far as eBay you right. I just shopped for like 3 months that's how I found my deals. The 5x7 to me sound good plus that's what fit in my car. I have a Mustang and what use to be a Mach audio system so the componet was perfect for the tweeter holder already there. The RF stuff is not the best by far but for 100 bucks I can't think of a better sub. JL in my eyes has the best subs and amps. Far as highs I would say infinity or pioneer premier. But my aplines are not bad either. For the guy tryiing to stay cheap I would price them and see what you think bout them. Also u spoke of boxes. They are the most important thing when it comes to how your sub sounds. Custom built is the best way to go. I like the sound ported boxes give. But checkout pro box too all their stuff really good.
    Proboxrocks.com

10. Jan 31, 2009 at 5:36 AM
    Jpf8653

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Memphis has some really excellent subs as well.

11. Jan 31, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    sooner07

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    For a custom built box, I'll pimp MrMarv again. He builds truly superior products, and is a pretty cool dude to boot.

For subs, I'd still suggest listening to some setups to determine what you sa the listener like to hear. You might want something that is just loud or maybe you are looking for something that has some punch or is just mellow. What ever that sound is, figure that out and we can give more narrowed suggestions.

12. Jan 31, 2009 at 8:08 AM
    Chimp75

Chimp75 Member

Member:
    Sun Valley, ID
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport 6-Spd
    Fox Shocks, TRD Intake/exhaust, TRD Short shift kit, Camburg upper A-arms
    I have the stock set of speakers from my 08' TRD Sport I would send you if you cover the shipping.

Products Discussed in

To Top