1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I might have found my Taco...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jedirye, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Jan 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Well about the financing, I've already got a PreApproved Bank Draft from my credit union that should be essentially like a check (up to $15k). I cleaned the car out (again), have the title to my truck, and will head down there again (with my mom :eek: ) and see what they can do for me!

If all else fails, there's this same truck but a 2007 going for $18 and change with 11,000. The only catch is, it's in ARIZONA! That is one long haul................................... I'm starting to abandon the 4x4 idea as it will be a few years yet until I'm out of Florida. If there was one thing I was going to compromise on, it was the 4x4. I wouldn't have on anything else though.

-rye

2. Jan 21, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Trust me, there will be another truck exactly to your spec eventually. If they wont budge, pass it up. Leave them your name and number, I garentee they will call in a couple of weeks to see if youre still interested. Tell them at that point they know your terms, and if they are willing to sell at your price, they will ask you to come back in.

Thats what I did with mine, and knocked 3k off the sticker price, and got 2k more for my trade in =)

If they still wont budge, then move on. There are tons of these trucks out there, and more and more get traded in, or moved around every week. One will show up.

3. Jan 21, 2009 at 1:37 PM
    wcm608

wcm608 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Vehicle:
    08 DC LB 4x4 SR5 Impulse Red
  4. Jan 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    stop going there and wait a couple of days.they will keep callling you.the dealers by me harrass the shit out of you.they work on commision.so if they dont sell the truck they dont get paid.

5. Jan 21, 2009 at 3:19 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged

I am trying to stay away from the '05's and '06's because of the motor mount issue. My ideal year is 2007.

By the way, yeah it didn't work out. Sticker price was $21,988 and they "compromised" to $21,988 (no, that's not a typo- it's the same price). With this economy I just didn't expect to pay sticker price and didn't realize they were so concrete on it. I know now and will not go back, unforunately. The one is AZ is a winner though: 2007 TRD Sport with 11k miles for $18 and change. Think they'll come down any? Estimated fuel cost to travel there is about 200 bones, which is feasible. I work a 24/48 schedule so if I take one day off, I'll have five off which is doable for such a road trip. Has anyone ever done anything like this before? I'm assuming I need to get the details worked out prior to making the ungodly long trip. How will my car insurance transfer over?? Should I get them to draw up a contract with the amounts we've agreed upon and leave them a non refundable deposit?? I have detailed pictures of my truck to give them a rough idea of my trade-in so we can agree to some terms before the trip. Either way, I'm looking at trucks that just aren't in this state because there are none that fit my specs here... So any help is appreciated!

-rye

6. Jan 21, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    Dustin03

Dustin03 The Cooler King

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expeditionary vehicle in training.
    Old Man Emu 2.5" lift, brush guard (about to be changed), grey-wire mod, custom bed mounts for 4 jerrycans, custom survival box, maglite mount, KC Dayliters.
    Hey, I live there! Buy my ticket and I'll drive it out to you. :D

7. Jan 21, 2009 at 3:41 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    I'd do it in a heart beat if I didn't have my blasted trade-in......................

8. Jan 21, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    Rye,

Sorry the close one didn't work out, greedy skunks.

The insurance shouldn't be a problem - just call before you go and let them know you'll be swapping vehicles and see what their policy is. All I have to do is call when I get a new vehicle and give them the information they want. Takes like 10 minutes on the phone.

Now that you've found your truck, it's time to start dickering with them. Use the internet sales department if they have one. Start low and see how much you can get them to come down. Let them know it will cost you to come get it...

If you're making the trip to AZ, you might want to add a few extra $$ into your budget for a motel (or two) for the trip there and back, and a night in AZ when you get the vehicle.

Another thing to find out is about your registration/tags. Does FL just switch tags from an old to new vehicle, or how does that work?

You should definately get the terms of the deal in writing BEFORE heading to AZ. Get everything ironed out first or they could change their minds. And make sure you have a copy with you when you get there.

Good Luck :)

9. Jan 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    I appreciate the advice. I will (hopefully) be making the ungodly long trip next weekend, if everything works out (and the boyfriend can get off work!) I will call about the insurance issue and also switching tags. Is not the $18,9xx a good price already? Sure it would be nice to get it for lower, but I don't want to be insulting. Is a bank draft as good as cash because that's what I have right now (expires Feb. 20th)??

-rye

10. Jan 21, 2009 at 5:24 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I used a pre-approved loan check when I bought my truck... You just put who it's to and the amount and hand it over - you might want to make sure you get a copy before you hand it over. Now if they have a better interest rate looan... that's something to consider as well.

I'm not sure about the price. Have you checked the sites others have mentioned to see what the going price is? Then YOU have to consider it worth it for you... It doesn't sound too bad to me. But it never hurts to see if they'll dicker on the price.

I agree it is a LONG trip. Where in AZ is it?

11. Jan 21, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Okay, cool, that is what I have then: A Pre-Approved Loan Check

Where in AZ is it, you ask? I can't reveal such details, for fear of my truck being gone (again)!

I just e-mailed them. I'd hope to make the trip next week, possibly leave Friday or so. Grab a few friends, a camcorder, and have a sweet road trip across the US. Sounds good to me!

-rye

12. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    wushaw

wushaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 AC TRD 4x4 6sp
    My truck was 985miles from my door step. I did not have the trade in to worry about as you do and since I get to fly for free (work for an airline), I flew into the closest airport and rented a car and drove to the closest drop off point and the dealership sent someone to pick me up.

I was at the dealer @ an hour and stayed one night in a hotel.
    I spent around 500.00 on the return trip, the one way rental was over 200 bucks, 100.00 for hotel and the rest in fuel and food.

All in all I still saved 3800.00 over a 09 with the same options and some I wasn't interested in.

13. Jan 21, 2009 at 6:56 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Couple things:

1. 99.9% of us have Tacomas here... (you'd be OK telling us the city... lol)
    2. That's going to be a LONG drive... I drove from AZ to MD and it took 3 days and a total on road time of 40 hours.

If you're taking I-10 to AZ, keep in mind that it always took us 24 hours to drive from Boca to Houston. And Houston to Tucson is another 16 hours. Good Luck :thumbsup:

14. Jan 22, 2009 at 12:23 AM
    FoxySandChick

FoxySandChick Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 Base model V6 Impulse Red Pearl
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    Is that $18xxx, OTD price? If not you should be checking what taxes and fees are going to add up to. Did they give you an estimate on your trade also? It would suck to get there then they give you the real price and you can't get it. Did you give them a deposit to hold it?

Seriously most people on here already have a Taco and I'm sure those on here in that area looking to buy that same truck already know about it :rolleyes:. If anything we would look it up for you and be able to give you better info or a member who lives nearby could go check it out and haggle the dealer to see what kind of deal they are willing to give.

Good luck.

15. Jan 23, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Hey all, this is (hopefully) my truck!
    MyTaco1_8a466dd06e108d53b91aad1aa7a2ac6c42faaa0c.jpg

To recap, we're looking at a 2007 Tacoma Access Cab TRD Sport V6 4X2 Auto with 11,000 miles for $18,995. What do you think I should ask him to lower it to? I can't imagine paying sticker price (again) and have to drive 2k miles to do it, too. And I'm only hoping that I'll get the $7500 for my truck, as that is what I have been offered twice at two separate dealerships. KBB for my truck = $6500-7,900 and Black Book Value = $6500-$8,500 so maybe I could squeeze them for another 500 bones. I don't know. Basically, as we stand, the 19,000 minus the (possible) 7500 for my truck is 11,500 plus tax, tag, and title which is about $1500. Total to finance is $13,000. I WANT BETTER!

Does anyone think 11k otd is feasible? Let's make the asking price of the truck $17,500 and my trade in $8k. Is that insulting or what? I would travel 2k miles for 11 OTD easily. I figure total for trip is going to be about $1k if not less. Let me know guys!

-rye

16. Jan 23, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    jedirye

jedirye [OP] Wannabe

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 Baja Supercharged
    Well my telephone conversation didn't go exactly as planned. First off, he is definitely not American, and was therefore a bit hard to understand with his thick Iranian accent... but whatever.

I am not sure what even went down. He is going to look over my e-mail (which contained several detailed photo's of my trade-in) and I guess he will get back to me. I don't think he realizes how serious I am and how much I want the truck! I guess him not realizing the latter is probably to my advantage, but still! I told him I wanted "about $7500 to $8000" for my truck and I was prepared to spend "close to $10k" so we'll see. I gues he is going to e-mail me a contract and if I like it, we're good, if not I can just "throw it away". He did not require a down payment which worries me... And he initially started the conversation off with, "Well when you get to Tucson..." No, I want details handled before than, please and thank you. I do not want to drive 2k miles for nothing!! I guess we'll see tomorrow, if he ever gets around to getting back to me... Oh yeah, and what the heck, he won't take the bank draft. WTH. Now I've got to deplete my savings for this punk. What would I do, a money order or what?? Will my bank give me a check or something?? Can I wire the money, I think that would be safer but can I do that once I'm there??

-rye

17. Jan 24, 2009 at 2:05 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    De-badged, limo tint, black wet okole's, weathertechs, extra d-rings, TSB bilsteins
    :confused: Why won't he take the bank draft????....red flag alert....
    It is the same as you writing a check from your own bank account.

18. Jan 24, 2009 at 2:08 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
  19. Jan 24, 2009 at 5:01 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    If it were me I'd get the '08. It seems to be fairly priced and you are talking a LOT of hassle getting a vehicle from AZ back to FL then getting an out of state vehicle registered in good old FL. When you figure the time spent the cost of the '08 doesn't look so bad.

20. Jan 24, 2009 at 5:17 AM
    FoxySandChick

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristin
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    How much does registration run in FL?
    I know in NV it was almost $500 for my truck.

And how much is all this going to add?
    Sales Tax, Title, License Fee, Registration Fee, Dealer Documentary Fee, Finance Charges, Emission Testing Fees and Compliance Fees are additional to the advertised price.
    I read that sale tax in AZ is max 10%...The dealer can pretty much choose the other amounts.

Products Discussed in

To Top