1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PIAA 510, 520 or 540 in stock fog locations??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cverneau, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Jul 27, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    cverneau

cverneau [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    I've read all the threads here I could find regarding the different PIAA kits and their various mounting scenarios. At this point, I can get any one of the three above mentioned kits for fairly cheap. Here's what I understand so far:

The 540 lights are kinda too large for our stock openings. I know there's a kit with brackets to mount them, but I can only get my hands on the base kit without the special brackets. These lights are 5 1/8" in diameter.

The 510 lights seem to be the ones most people here install. I know they're a little small for our openings, and most people mount them with the guards on to help locating them and filling out our openings. I don't mind this as I like the look of the guards and feel they will help center the lights in the openings as well as keep the hot glass from coming into contact with any part of the opening. These lights are 3 15/16" in diameter without the guards.

The 520 lights - I haven't seen very much info from people on here about these. I vaguely recall some people talking about mounting these, but can't remember what the outcome was. They're 6 1/4" in diameter, which pretty much tells me they're too large (as the 540's seem to be a little too large themselves).

I'm also looking at installing the driving lamp kit as opposed to the fog lamp kit.

What's the consensus about which to install??
    Anyone have any input or suggestions that would be helpful??
    What are your opinions??

2. Jul 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'm in the same boat with the 540's. I just bought a set and will be attempting to mount them in the stock holes. I'm trying to get just the bracket out of PIAA. I'll track progress with this thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/168644-piaa-5454-kit.html
    It appears the Tundra mounting bracket is the same so if I can't get the Tacoma one, I'll try to make the Tundra bracket work.

I haven't seen 520's in the fog light location and I think they'd be too big to stuff in there. I have a set on my light bar and it's very doubtful they could be made to fit in the bumper holes.

510's are the easiest to mount in the stock holes. The little space around them would allow for air flow because those lights get hot. Dark Knight helped me when I was considering 510's and his advice was to use the ATP for best results vs. fogs. Driving lights would work also but the wide fog pattern would be narrowed because of the recessed fit. Also, he said don't take them into a car wash right after they've been on for a while. When the cold water hits the lens they can crack (one of the downsides with the recess mount is they build up heat).

3. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
    From everything I can gather, I'm leaning towards the 510's.
    I'm actually looking at the "star white" or the "long range" driving lamp kits in the 510 series. I can get either one of them for under $40 shipped which includes everything as I really don't want to make my own harness.
    I know they'll get hot, but I'm not worried about cracking the lenses too much as I don't go through car washes (I do my own by hand).

Does anyone suggest NOT using the guard to allow for more air flow around the lamps?? From what I have read, the guard helps hold the lamp snugly in the opening. For those that have mounted them without the guard, how sturdy are they?? I know they're heavier than the standard plastic housings and the bumper is only plastic...

4. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Whoa, where you getting them for $40 shipped and do they have any more??:D

PM Dark Knight, he's very helpful.

5. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    Once I've made my decision and purchased, I'll post the link here for others to get in on them as quantity seems limited...
    I'm doing some research now, but I still don't understand why they're so cheap, as every other place is close to or over $200...

6. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Use the light guard. The small plastic part where you mount the lights will not support the weight very well without. Driving or ATP light pattern is most effective.

$40 bucks! Where?

7. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:28 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Make sure it's a reputable site, that's really, really cheap for those lights, that's why we're both asking where!

Your ears must have been burning :D

8. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:31 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
  9. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    Because that link searched the 5195 part number and returned the lowest price of anything including "5196". The search is pricing a Grant 5196 billet steering wheel install kit.

edit: brocks link

10. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    Whoa!! They just corrected the price after I placed my order!!
    We'll see if they go through, but I doubt it...

11. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:33 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    Craig, your Amazon link says $233.00

12. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    I know - they caught the price mistake.
    My receipt says $35.73 shipped - I'll bet they cancel it though.

13. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    :frusty:

14. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
  15. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    Maybe you could say that is a legally binding contract? Having done business with Amazon and their shinnanigans in the past, I'd say you're right.

16. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:39 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
  17. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Damn, they caught them all... I tried on the 520's and 540's :(

18. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    cverneau

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    Damn, they caught everything. It seemed too good to be true as they were all from the same seller "Riders Needs".
    Now the waiting begins...

19. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:45 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    I would cancel that crap and go with a reputable company sense you are not getting special pricing.

20. Jul 27, 2011 at 9:46 AM
    puckstopper55

puckstopper55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    '11 Double Cab TRD Sport, Mag Grey
    tailgate anti-theft Map Light LED's Dome Light LED LP LED Halogen Bed Light Extra D-Rings in bed Anytime Fog Lights Tri-Fold tonnau cover Wet Ok's
    there all listed as "not available" anymore. I hope they honor your sale because it was their F up, but I doubt it.

Products Discussed in

To Top