1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Discussion: Toyota Tacoma LED Halo Projector Headlights - Black

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Xx Ares xX, Sep 15, 2010.

?

Like or dislike: 07-10 LED Halo Projector Headlights - Black

Poll closed Jan 28, 2012.
  1. Like

132 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Dislike

74 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. Aug 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Does "these" mean Gen1, Gen 2 or Gen 3? Halogen or HIDs?

2. Aug 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    cgilbane

cgilbane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Avon, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma dbl cab
    remote reservoir fox shocks front and rear
  3. Aug 12, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    MarinePhoenix2207

MarinePhoenix2207 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Jersey (yes, there's a North and South)
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD sport
    bug/debris deflector, hose clamp mod, G4 elite fold-a-cover, Westin black nerf bars, Weathertech floor mats, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, MO951 black Moto Metals 17x9, Pop n' Lock w b/u camera, "TRD" third brake light mod, 13" black FA-series antenna, 20% front 5% rear tint, painted badges mod, rear diff breather mod, Thule 400xt Aero roof rack, Westin Sportsman black grille guard, silver pinstripe removed, Tacoma short bed bedmat, 3" Toytec Bilstein adjustable lift kit w 5100 shocks and 2" lift AAL, Redline Tuning Quicklift Plus, Rockford Fosgate sound system w/ Kenwood h/u
    Sub'd, for future reference...

4. Aug 15, 2011 at 4:15 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
  5. Sep 18, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    LIKE! Those looks so illlll

6. Nov 6, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    SilverBullet07

SilverBullet07 Silver Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Pleasanton, CA
    Vehicle:
    Silver 07 PreRunner Sport
    Tint, Grillcraft Grill, Leveling Kit, Retrofit Headlights.
    I also got my retrofit kit through TRS. I think you can get better light quality out of doing it yourself, HOWEVER since these are all ready done for you it saves alot of hassle. So both have pros and cons, your light setup looks nice I hope that you like how everything turned out!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:15 PM
    pLon

pLon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Heriberto
    TJ
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC 4x4
    none yet
    I like the design mostly on this 3rd Gen, just the led row on the bottom is what does it kind off "ricer", the stock headlights are too plain for me, even with a retrofit the light output is awesome but the looks.. mmhh so so even with the black paint, haven't anybody made a custom retrofit that changed all parking lights, turn signals, etc?, maybe removing the leds on the bottom and installing a retrofit on these projectors would look nice

8. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    tacomakmc

tacomakmc Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport (red)
    Westin Bull Bar, KC Slimlights, DC Torque 17' wheels, Black Tool box, Recovery Hook
  9. Dec 24, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    rberumen2

rberumen2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    I thought the bulbs were H1? I'm trying to find hid's for these and don't know which to get. Are H3's the right ones?

10. Dec 27, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    for what its worth, i plan to test and verify before installing my lights how much current is flowing through the LED's i suspect they are being overdriven and thats why they fail. i may end up putting a resistor inline with them to limit tthe current so they wont burn out.

11. Dec 27, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    Noslow100

Noslow100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Toytec 3 Inch lift kit with Bilstein 5100's, and more
    I had a set of headlights similar to these on my honda. The leds will eventually get fried because the voltage going to them varies at different times. The best thing you can do is to put a voltage regulator on them. The next best thing would be to put resistors in line to keep the voltage from burning them out. I used resistors on mine and they lasted for about two and a half years before a few of them went out. As far as the HID's are concerned. Depends on who does your state inspection if they will consider them legal. They say they are dot approved but some ass head inspectors still dont want to accept that. I had one fail me because of mine. Im not sure how the HID bulbs are hooked up in these kits but unless they have ballasts like the HID lights in say a Lexus have, you will eventually have to deal with blown bulbs. Same scenario as the leds. The power going to them spikes at different levels and can burn the bulbs if it gets too high. That brings me to the third thing on these headlights. The projectors. They are usually lower quality and send alot of light flaring above the projectors cut off line. One of the pictures in this post is a perfect example of it. There is a nice flat cut off from dark to light and a big spot of light above the cut off line. A good projector will not throw light when it is aligned properly. If you are willing to overlook all of this then by all means buy the headlights and enjoy them.

12. Dec 27, 2011 at 6:36 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    thanks for the info. looking at the wireing on the back i think ill be installing a load resistor on each of the led's indivually. this will regulate the current better anyway. most LEDS dont like more than 20-30 ma in them so ill just figure out what they draw at 15 volts and install a resistor, my guess they either have internal resistors and thoes resistors may overheat or short our causing the leds to go right after. or if they actually have a resistor inline perhaps the resistors are too low of a value causing excess current..
    either way a simple measurement will tell all and resistor to fix the problem.
    i pretty much expect the output to suck on the projectors. i am seriously considering swapping out the projectors for a retrofit kit. this way ill have the best of both worlds. i can also still hse the halogen lights in addition to the bi xenon projectors.

i already plan to install diodes on the high beam to keep the low beam HID on all the time so they dont have to restart between hi and low operation.

also we dont have state inspections here so that will never become an issue. i got the 4300 bulbs because the ricer blue HID are a dead giveaway and sure to get you a ticket. if you keep the color within the normal DOT factory lights a cop wont pay any attention to you. not only that i know the 4300 has more actual light output which is what i am looking for, not try to look like a ricer.
    i often drive dark mountain roads so i am looking for optimal output.
    im going to give the aftermarket installed projectors a try and look for abnormal light patterns. if it doesnt look too bad and gives sufficient light i may not bother with the retro fit kit at all.

13. Jan 4, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    Scd2None

Scd2None Member

Member:
    Orange County
    Vehicle:
    '12 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Does anyone know how long us 2012 owners will have to wait for these headlights? I'm itching to have something like this on my taco!!

14. Jan 4, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    Jib Bandits

Jib Bandits Pork eating crusader. An "infidel".

Member:
    First Name:
    Ari
    Cedar Fort, UT
    Vehicle:
    06 Access TRD Sport
    Red devil horn emblem, All-Pro Expo leafs, Fox shocks, K&N CAI, aFe throttle body spacer, Flowmaster american thunder dual exhuast, Defender roof rack, Hell Bent steel level kit, Rigid Dually LED lights, smoked halo headlights, smoked LED taillights, Cobra CB, red badge mod(+30 HP), Spider-Trax wheel spacers!
    I put some HALOS in a few months ago and have loved them so far. My only complaint is one that's often heard, the halo rings suck in the daytime. They're super dim and I can't tell they're on unless it's dark and I have only the parking lights on...

pretty easy install though, just don't break your grille clips like I did, I ended up zip tying everything back on lol.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Jan 9, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    par21

par21 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PAUL
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport SR5 4WD(soon to be supercharged)
    lots of little bolt ons
    Anybody have a diagram like this with the CCFL and 6000k slim ballest hids

16. Jan 16, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    TRDyota09

TRDyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    I have the same lights and I love them! I actually had a whole switch kit for another set of fog lights and wired my led's and halo's to the switch so that I can run them whenever. And if one of your led's burn out they are replacable. I contacted the dealer and they sent me 3 extra led bulbs. The switch kit took some time if you want it to be right but its the way to go so that they aren't running overtime you turn your parking lights on, and it looks way better without the parking lights. But its all in what kind of look your goin for!

17. Jan 17, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    par21

par21 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PAUL
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport SR5 4WD(soon to be supercharged)
    lots of little bolt ons
    what lights are you talking about spyder? and what switch kit maybe some pics?

18. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    TRDyota09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    K&N cold air intake, magnaflow dual exhaust, extang trifold, grillcraft black mesh grill, spyder black projector headlights w/LED's and halo's, trd 6 speed shift knob, aftermarket TRD badges, interior piped out in red,265/75-16 Goodyear Duratrac tires,painted wheels w/red pin stripe
    Yes, I have the spyder headlights, and unfortunately I'm having problems uploading pics because I do everything from my phone. Bit the switch kit was from an old set of fog lights I bought for a different vehicle, I just never used the switch kit. I added some connectors to the wiring on the lights so the switch kit could easily be disconnected if something needed changing, and ran power direct so that even when my truck isn't running I could turn my led's and halo's on at any given time.

19. Jan 18, 2012 at 5:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I prefer to not get tickets for not running parking lights or be at fault if someone hits you because you didn't have them on.....

20. Jan 18, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    TRDyota09

Member:
    First Name:
    Jabin
    Reedsville,WV
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD DCSB
    I added some pics to my profile, but they are kind of vague. I'll try to get some more soon.

Products Discussed in

To Top