1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Slow Cooker

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Maticuno, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Aug 16, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno [OP] Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    I have a vermin problem (squirrels, pack rats, rabbits) so I've been doing a lot of live trapping to cut down their numbers. Today I managed to catch two squirrels in one trap so I took them for a drive to release them. After a short drive I let the squirrels go in a bush, but noticed a burning smell. I look back at my truck and see smoke! My first reaction is "SHIT! I blew a gasket or destroyed a ring!" Then I notice the smoke isn't the color of burnt of oil, but more like a campfire, which made me think that instead there was a tumbleweed stuck on the exhaust. I inspect underneath to see no plant material, and then notice that the smoke is definitely coming out of the tail pipe and it smells like wood and...and...beef jerky! As there are no warning lights and the engine is running perfectly, the only conclusion I can make is that somehow a pack rat managed to build a nest INSIDE my muffler. The wood smell is from the nesting material...and the jerky smell is, well, it's pretty obvious what that would be. I'll keep an eye on my truck and it's performance to make sure it's not something more severe, but until I'm proven wrong, that's THREE rodents I removed from my yard today!

2. Aug 16, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    Sounds more like a fast cooker.

3. Aug 16, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    Yota Toy

Yota Toy Taco Sauce

Member:
    FX retros, Blazer fog-light retro, JVC KW-NT30HD head unit, Pioneer 6X9's in front doors, Pioneer 6.5's in rear doors, two Pioneer 12" subs in sealed boxes, Sony X-Plod amp, Hidden Hitch trailer hitch, EGR window visors, two PIAA low-tone horns, Westin light bar with two 100-watt KC low profile driving lights.
    Oh rats, that sounds like a serious problem, fur sure.

4. Aug 16, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    Just run on over to a shop and have a piece of steel mesh like the type used to make grills welded onto the opening of the muffler. Seen it done on up armored vehicles to prevent explosives from being placed into the muffler.

5. Aug 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    3? Call me when you've removed 3-4 dozen and the damned chipmunks are still there. In a couple weeks I'll start trapping those furry little bastards again.

6. Aug 16, 2011 at 2:02 PM
    jrgroucho

jrgroucho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2010 AC SR5 BSP
    Hose Clamp, No Seatbelt Chime, Husky Floor Liners, BHLM, sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, Wet Okole Covers/Armrests,
    Hmm, I think I remember hearing something like this on Car Talk. Anyway, it's funny that he wasn't shot out the tailpipe upon startup. I suppose he was in there to remove the sound deadening material from the muffler for nest building. If he was then he's in the baffles and is likely to stay until reduced to carbon.

Also, after the first sentence, I had imagined you actually slow cooking squirrels in a crock pot, which is not unheard of where I am from.

7. Aug 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno [OP] Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    I'm now up to five squirrels for the day, 8 for the month. This is the second time today I had two in one trap:

[​IMG]

Still have some cooked smell from exhaust, but it's mostly burnt wood now, not burnt rodent.

8. Aug 16, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    ronman737

ronman737 Dangerous

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Greenville, SC
    2008 4Runner 4x4 Sport
    Sounds like you have a real problem man. 5 or 6 cats should solve it. Just make sure they are fixed so you dont have a cat problem.

9. Aug 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    Start marking them. I wonder if they find their way back. I always take them for a "swim" in the live trap after I catch them....:D

10. Aug 16, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    08TacoTrD

08TacoTrD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad
    5100's and 883 OME Coils TRD Exhaust Deaver 1.5" AAL Rear Differential Breather Extension, 4WD Light, Tailgate Pipe clamp, Fog lights on while High Beams on, Carrier Bearing flip
    You ain't kidding. I live in a suburban area and there are a couple cats that roam. There are red tail hawks that have a nest in my neighbors tree, a couple foxes and a coyote that wanders through every now and then but the chipmunk population has exploded. I've taken larger adults to young of the year in my trap.

Products Discussed in

To Top