1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Key hide

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by H James, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM
    H James

H James [OP] Member

Member:
    Ya I guess the magnetic boxes would work... I was worried that it might not hold when offroad, but sounds like they work. I actually have one (no idea where I got it) but the key is too big to fit inside so I never tested it out.

2. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded
    It' probably me, I worry to much about tiny things but I would never rely on a magnet only for a moving vehicle, the screw on and magnetic box seems like a winner in my book, but if the magnetic is the only one you have or can get, then adding a ziptie would be cheap insurance in a moving vehicle stomping offroad, I've found branches and crap in places that I thought would never reach.

Good luck

3. Jun 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    H James

H James [OP] Member

Member:
    huh...never thought about that...a ziptie for cheap insurance. might try that.

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:18 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't mean to be mean, but...you can't carry key fobs because you set them off, and you are so likely to lose your keys that it is actually a concern for you?

I only ask because I have never once had my key fob 'go off' in my pocket unless I was reaching in there to unlock the doors on purpose. And I have the same car key for my first car as I received in 1989, and the same house key to my parents house that I was given when I was 4 years old. It is just baffling that it could be such a problem.

But on to actually being helpful, there's several places you might think about. One big one in my opinion is to pop out the little bed cubbies above the wheel wells and see if there is a convenient place in there to store a key. I would also crawl under the truck and look for places on the firewall or fenders.

5. Jun 30, 2011 at 12:09 AM
    H James

H James [OP] Member

Member:
    Yep...you got it. I set off the alarm accidentally many times with my old truck. Besides, it's too much crap to carry in my pocket. I guess that's superfluous info that I shouldn't have included. Doesn't make a difference in terms of what my question was.

Thanks for all the input folks. I asked and you answered. End. (Not trying to sound mean either.)

6. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    FLJB

FLJB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    FL
    Vehicle:
    2020 4X4 Sport
    I have always worried about locking myself out of my truck while at work and having to wait a while to get someone to bring me a key. After reading this and another thread, I saw where someone used/suggested the masterlock key storage thing so I decided to use that for my key mod. I cannot take credit for the idea, but didn't see any other pictures, so i wanted to post some.

The lockbox has 4 holes in the backside for screws to be used to secure it. I removed the bed storage cubby and mounted the key storage box on the inside of the cubby with rivets mounted from the inside of the key box through the bed cubby box. Rivets are key because they automatically are sized to fit once installed and would be difficult for someone to remove. The box has a resettable 4 number lock and a door. I can put a spare key in there when needed, it is out of the way, and with the door to the cubby closed most would not even know it is there.

About $30 total cost since i had the rivet gun and rivets and a torx head (to remove the cubby from the bed) already. The lock box can be purchsed at Home Depot, lowes, probably even Wal-Mart. It met my requirements, cheap, secure and useful. Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:19 AM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    just buy one of those magnetic hide-a-key boxes and but it inside the frame, it wont go anywhere

8. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    That looks great butt it's $250 :eek:

9. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    jjew18

jjew18 the Nightman cometh!

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Alliance Airport
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    Added extra awesomeness to its original awesomeness.

10. Aug 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Our local ambulance company managed to lock their keys in a running vehicle while backed up to the emergency room doors. Since then, I am told that they added a toggle switch hidden on the outside of each vehicle that will pop the power door locks. Just a thought. That way you could hide the spare key very, very well inside the truck. A thief might look for a spare under the truck, but he's not going to be looking for an extra switch under there. Then keep your keys on you and know that you're covered in the rare instance that you actually do lose your keys.

11. Aug 14, 2011 at 6:26 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This is a very good idea also. Someone might find the box, but they seem like they would be very hard to break into.

12. Aug 14, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    BradleyScottETC

BradleyScottETC Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)

Member:
    First Name:
    Bradley
    Lake County, FL
    Vehicle:
    10 4.0 AC 4x4
    What if you're towing your boat and you drop your keys in the lake? Then what!?

13. Aug 15, 2011 at 5:53 AM
    Mandy3206

Mandy3206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Juan PR
    Vehicle:
    Sand Pearl Black 06 6spd DC SB TRD OR Moded

Great Idea And setup

14. Aug 15, 2011 at 8:13 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
  15. Aug 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM
    PtLomaComa

PtLomaComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '09 PreRunner Dble cab TRD Sport
    Debadged w/ blacked out grill emblem
    subbed for future mod

16. Aug 17, 2011 at 6:32 PM
    Black07Taco

Black07Taco Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab 4x4
    I came back from a camping trip on Sunday and found this post - got me thinking more seriously about hiding a key.
    I found mine at Fred Meyer for about $5, it's made by GE. It's magnetic and has a combo lock. I found a good spot to hide it and then used a zip tie to secure it even better. I realized when I uploaded the pictures that I didn't get a picture of this, but it's got a little eye hole on one end, that's where I attached the zip tie. Nice thing is that I left just enough slack in the zip tie that I won't have to actually cut the tie if I need to get the key out, but not so much that it will really contact anything if the magnetic somehow fails.

P8150385.jpg
    P8150386.jpg
    P8150387.jpg
    P8150388.jpg

17. Aug 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM
    jivewalker

jivewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack MeHoff
    Chucktown
    Vehicle:
    2012 4RUNNER TE w/KDSS, 2017 LAND CRUISER
    I usually hide my key in my pocket, hasn't been lost or stolen yet. Although
    I did drop them in a public toilet once at a rest stop and had to stick my fingers down into the hole to fish them out.

Blais03 likes this.
  18. Aug 17, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Our ambulances have that on some of them. Mounted within the front grille. You can't see it unless you look for it very closely

19. Aug 17, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    When I use to go surfing, I would just throw my keys into my tow hitch along the side. You couldn't see them while they were in there unless you got down and looked in

20. Aug 17, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    My dealership made a plastic "credit card" key that open's the drivers door and fits in my wallet. With one of these you can lock the real spare in the truck. I figure the chances of looseing both my keys and my wallet at the same time are pretty slim.

Products Discussed in

To Top