1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bug Guts damaged my paint !!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco93, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Aug 20, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    oh i have those marks,,,, yeah they aren't coming off!

2. Aug 20, 2011 at 7:04 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    It looks lke the clear coat is etched. You will need to polish the paint to hide the etching. I would also sugest that once the correction is completed that you put 3 to 5 coats of sealant on the Tacoma followed by 2 coats of a wax that will accent the black paint.

From the pic you posted the damage looks a lot like tree sap which is just as bad if not worse than bug guts and bird bombs.

3. Aug 20, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    Drove 1500 miles to Wyoming a couple weeks ago. First time I've ever experienced bug rain. Southern MN and SD was horrible. I thought ahead and threw two extra coats of wax on the front end. No permanent damage to paint, but my radiator now has dings in it. You know its bad when yellow jackets are snacking on the carcasses. Even my front mud flaps were plastered. Grasshopper season over there, I guess?

As new as your truck is, I would see if your stealership can do something.

4. Aug 20, 2011 at 7:19 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I had 2 Black Toyota trucks. both purchased by me new, prior to my 09' MGM that i drive now. I've never had those type of issues, though i do keep wax on it and try not to leave anything like Bug guts and bird shyt on for more than 2-3 days.

Not sure how often others are washing and waxing, but maintaining the outside prior to having the usual 'outside elements' thrown at it has always been the ticket for me.

5. Aug 20, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    That is the ticket to keeping the finish looking great for 10 years or more.

6. Aug 20, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    PartsNinja

PartsNinja New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Georgia
    Looking at your picture, I have seen those marks before. Those are love bugs. Their guts are acidic and eat into paint. Believe me, I have seen the most experienced professional detailers try to get those out with buffers etc. It will not work. It will have to be repainted.

7. Aug 20, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    IndianTaco

IndianTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    i know this is gonna sound dumb as hell but. but wet your truck down and use a bounce dryer sheet. make sure the sheet is moist this will get the bug guts off. i do this all the time when washing bugs off of my harley. works great and dosent f**k the paint up.

8. Aug 20, 2011 at 10:55 AM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Just wet your front end down then wet the dryer sheets. After that wipe the entire front with them in a side to side motion then circular vise versa. After that wash with soap and sponge. Bam your done and no bugs. It amazes me how easy it takes the bugs off compared to scrubbing with a sponge. Just make sure you wash with soap afterwards or you will have white residue on your paint.

9. Aug 20, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    samhain

samhain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hilton Head, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5
    To everyone suggesting dryer sheets, clay bars and Meg's polish, just forget about it. The bugs have etched the clear coat and none of those recommendations are going to fix it. To everyone who doesn't use a quality wax or sealant on your trucks, this will happen to you.

10. Aug 20, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    Just become OCD about keeping your truck clean and bug damage won't happen :D

11. Aug 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    End of story...;)

12. Aug 21, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    From what I read about love bugs and their acidity it is important to use a quality wax and or sealant during the mating season. A repaint isn't necessary but a wet sand and polish may be required to remove the most extreme damage.

13. Aug 21, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    ace96

ace96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    To the OP, suggest looking on the forum at Autogeek.net. There are some serious car detailers on there.

14. Aug 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Hope you mean detailers. LOL

AG is a quality business with exceptional customer service.

15. Aug 21, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    georgeandkanoa

georgeandkanoa the point is simply this

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    calgary
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    bilstein5100's front tinted windows access cover pioneer stereo weathertechs grillcraft grill kc's behind cbi sliders
    3M protective coating,works like a charm

16. Aug 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    09_tacoma

09_tacoma Forever at a crossroads

Member:
    First Name:
    Mylene
    North Pole
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco V6 4x4 DLCB TRD Sport
    Headlights, Exhaust, grill, Kings all around resi suspension. Camburg UCA's, Clarion double din
    Easier said than done. :p

17. Aug 21, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    Not in my case unless I don't have the supplies I need or want :)

18. Aug 22, 2011 at 2:53 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    X2 when you have a dark colored Tacoma. Sigh

19. Aug 22, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    I understand that waxing regularly can be a pain in the ass, especilaly with all of the seams and rubber to try and avoid.

What i do is wash it the night before i am going to wax it, and try and wax it about 6 times a year.

Every bit as importantl in my mind, is the occasional quick hit with the Mequires Ultimate Detailer. (... or possibly their 'Quik wax') I can apply and remove the stuff in about 35-40 minutes and it provides a nice level of protection in between 'real' waxes. Gliding the back of your hand over the surface after finishing tells me pretty much all i need to know as far as added protection from using the stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top