1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about tires/lift from a newb

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by awkoch, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    awkoch

awkoch [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Off-Road Tacoma 4x4
    Alright, I know similar questions have been posed before, but I'm a non-tech savvy Marine, and I couldn't find anything. I have a 2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road, and I recently ordered Bilstein 5100s all around and a 1" block for the rear. I am close to getting a set of Ion Alloy 174s (http://4wheelonline.com/Ion_Alloy_Wheels_174_Black.169736.628499), size 17x9, and a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers, size 285/70R17

(http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/P2...t_s=159&t_pt=100805&t_pl=3284&t_pn=NIT200-990).

If I set the Bilsteins at 2.5 and add the 1" block in the rear, how much surgery am I going to have to do so that I don't rub. Also, will I need to do any other modifications (Diff drop, new UCAs, etc.) to accommodate the lift and larger tires? Thanks for the advice, and Semper Fi!

2. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    DigB

DigB Go Jets GO!!!!!!

Member:
    Winnipeg
    Vehicle:
    DCLB TRD Sport
    Air Freshener mod
    Be prepared for people to tell you to search through the threads on the forum!! I don't have the answer but I'm sure interested in it, I am thinking I'm going to dothe same thing to my dclb

3. Aug 25, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    Darth Tater

Darth Tater If I can't get you out, neither can anyone else.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marlin
    Las Vegas, Nevada!!
    Vehicle:
    06 4X4 Taco, ARB, DBL Cab
    ARB,WARN 8K (F&R), 3" lift, Snugtop, tube steps, factory roof rack, Dick Cepeks,
    I have seen it go both ways. Some folks have vibe issues. Some don't. You will be right on the edge when it comes to alignment. I have been trying to read everything on lifts on this forum, but it would take me about another three years. Look for the lift faq. It should be in the second gen forum as a sticky, I think. That will get you started. Spacers between the wheel and the hub might also be an option, but also might increase the load on the wheel bearings. I had to replace both my front bearings at about 65000, so that might something to look into. I am not an expert on tacomas, and while I am an A&P mechanic, I don't claim to be an expert, nor did I stay at a holiday inn express last night. I have seen builds with 285 series tires, look at some of those builds and see how they got there. If it can be done to a tacoma,there is someone here crazy enough to do it. Trust me. Ij have been told several times that the mods I have done to my truck, plus the ones I want do, are insane. I laugh at these folks. I am also a 22 year USAF vet, and if I can't make it work, I look it up on here to see if where I went wrong.
    Semper Fidelis
    Darth

Products Discussed in

To Top