1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How big of a winch do I really need?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by horwitzs, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Aug 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    I'm shopping for a winch. Previously had a 9500 lb on my Jeep which served me well.
    I know the general rule in off-roading is 1.5-2x the GVW of the truck, but I think that's overkill for my needs.

I use it several times per year for pulling out vehicles stuck in sand, snow, or just got their tires too far into a ditch and can't get back on the road. Also would use it for occasional lifting/dragging projects in the garage, such as lifting streetbikes while working on them w/ wheels off.

I'm NOT pulling myself or others out of muck up the frame, or trying to lift my truck to the top of a tree, or prove to my buddies that I have a big dick.

I would like something reasonably small that I can stow in my toolbox and put on my hitch when needed, instead of a monster that is overkill and requires a bumper.

I'm thinking in the range of 3500-4500 lbs.
    Please tell me why you think that's enough or not.

2. Aug 28, 2011 at 12:00 AM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    First things first. How are you mounting the winch? IMO might as well get one that's "overkill" than one that will let you down in an emergency.

3. Aug 28, 2011 at 12:04 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    For your use I would go with one in the 6,000 range.

4. Aug 28, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    horwitzs

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Probably with something like this:
    [​IMG]

I agree it's better to get extra than not enough, but...
    according to whipper ^^^ it's pointless and I'd be SOL unless I get a 10,000lb winch. I think that's nonsense.

5. Aug 28, 2011 at 5:04 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i think most here get an 8k or better. i wouldnt go less than that.

6. Aug 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    Cummins Coal Roller
    Smokin with a smarty.
    I would get an entry level Warn and call it a day.

7. Aug 28, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    i would go with something in the 6’000 to the 9.5 rang. (yeah i know thats a bug rang) we have a 3’000 worn on are yamaha rhino. and you have to note!! that say it’s a 6’000 pound winch that number is with (1) just one layer of line on the winch. for every layer of cable the rating is reduced! so on are 3’000 on the rhino. if there is like 5 layers of cable than it’s rating is like 1’500. i now on the worn web site the they say in the info stuff about the winch what the rating is for every layer of cable.

8. Aug 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    12k should suffice.:)

9. Aug 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    coop1212

coop1212 Well-Known Member

Member:
    ms
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 double cab offroad
    none yet!
    i have a 6000 on mine

10. Aug 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    rsbmg

rsbmg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vista,CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Doublecab TRD Offroad
    Front Aluminum bumper by Relentless Fab. Smittybuilt Winch Complete set of skids by ATO TC UCA's Fox Ext. Travel Front Reservoirs.
    I was researching winches quit a bit lately and I opted for the smittybuilt XRC8 with synthetic rope. I ended up with this one for a few reasons. It was pretty reasonably priced compared to some of the others. I have read plenty of positive reviews of its durability and performance. Last of the people who had any issues at all they said smittybuilt sent replacements immediately no questions asked.

As with anything you will always have an exception here and there but when comparing parts I go with the mean average and this just seemed like the right choice for my situation.

I have never needed a winch to get me unstuck in the past, ever, so I dont anticipate it will be seeing a ton of use. Its there for piece of mind and to help others out.

I make no claims that its the best winch on the market just offering my reasoning for the decision to purchase it.

Good luck with what you end up with!

11. Aug 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    I could be completely off base with this but I gotta ask because I was looking at receiver mounted winches also: do you really wanna string a power wire that far back to your rear receiver? I thought it over and kind of ruled it out due to the thought of the insulation getting cut up and grounding out on the frame... I'm not saying it can't be done, nor is it a bad idea or anything derogatory, I just really questioned how reliable it would be when I needed it to work.

12. Aug 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    jimmy12

jimmy12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    midwest
    Vehicle:
    tacoma reg cab 4x4
    3"revtek lift 265 cooper discover st afe cai blackedout steel wheels warn m8000 winch mounted on custom hiddenwinchmount.
    A 6000lb would probably be enough. But the problem is the 6k warn for example is the same price as a 8k. Other problems you could encounter with a smaller winch is,the smaller the motor the harder it will have to work. It could cause problems with your electrical system or just burn up the winch. I just purchased a warn VR8k for around $400 bucks. It doesnt appear to be much different than my warn M8k.Keep in mind "you get what you pay for" In my lifetime that saying has comeback to haunt me a time or two. I have owned quite a few different winches in the past. I had an old Ramsey rep8k that worked pretty good except for the clutch being a PITA.But it turned out to be a better winch then the Ramsey Pro Plus 9k. It was just flat out junk. & a few years back i purchased a smittybuilt xrc8k. I didnt think much of it either. The engage/disengage lever broke the first time i used it. It has some tiny, i mean tiny roll pin that holds it together.So if you push or pull it just a bit too much it will snap off just like that. Also the damn thing would not free spool @ all from the day i took it out of the box till the day i sold it. Not to mention it is a very heavy winch.They did send me replacement parts right away. @ no cost. But that tells you something right there. They know that lever design is junk. They keep the parts on hand cause they know this. Dont misunderstand, some winch is better than no winch. But i would do some research before purchasing the cheapest one out there.

13. Aug 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed

For what you are describing as far as usage, would a recovery strap and a dedicated hitch bar suit your needs for a fraction of the cost? In all honesty, I wouldn't know what the advantage of a winch versus a strap would be besides the ability to control it with a stationary vehicle...

14. Aug 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    horwitzs

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    I thought about that also. Since it would be in the toolbox most of the time, I may just run leads to the battery when I need it, outside the truck. If I ran them underneath to a quick-connect, I'd put convoluted tubing or some other protector around it.

I appreciate your input. Your situation is similar to what I'm talking about. I don't do serious off-road, so I won't need to pull the weight of my truck... Just want it for a useful tool and helping others at work, who get mildly stuck every now and then (my role at the job pretty much means I'm the first one they call for help).
    I'm open to many brands; my prior winch was a Mile Marker si9500. I swapped to synthetic line and never had any trouble with it, other than corrosion on the exterior.
    I don't mind paying for quality, I'm not thinking small to save money. Just don't want to haul a 75lb winch/hitch combo out if something half the weight will do the job.

I've been thinking about that also. I already have a hitch hook and a hitch/shackle setup, so maybe I should move some other parts above this on the priority list.

15. Aug 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM
    ATriplett513

ATriplett513 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cb, 4x4, 4.0L, 6-speed
    My Jeep has a Warn 9.5xp and it weighs less than my Tacoma. I would never get a 6k imo.

My Jeep had to pull out a FS Ranger stuck in a snow bank out in BFE. Loaded Dodge 2500, a 6k wouldn't have done the job (he was stuck as f**k).

A good rule of thumb is double the weight of your vehicle. If you've stuck, you have to pull the weight of your truck PLUS the forces acting against it (i.e. sand, snow, mud, etc...). That number compounds depending on how deep your truck is stuck.

An 8k+ for your truck is a good plan. I would go with Bulldog, Superwinch or Warn. Stay away from the "best deal". It's something you want to have for emergency situations, there is NO reason why you should not pay for a good winch.

16. Aug 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    horwitzs

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    I've also got snatch blocks so I can easily double the line back to half the load on the motor.
    I'm glad to hear you mention Superwinch favorably. I've been looking at those but don't have any experience with them.

17. Aug 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    ATriplett513

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    If the military trusts them, I thought I might as well too.

For what it's worth, I have only personally used a Bulldog 9.5K and the Warn 9.5xp. I don't want to speak towards other winch brands I have only second-hand knowledge about.

18. Aug 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    You say you would use it for pulling out other trucks.

For self recovery I would say 8k. But if you plan on pulling anything out that is bigger than you, get something bigger

19. Aug 28, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    horwitzs

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    I thought Mile Marker had the military contract? Not that it matters, just curious.

Yes, I do pull out other trucks, but mildly buried. Usually a 4x2 that is spinning it's tires in sand, or the last time was a Ford Ranger that just had it's back wheels in the ditch and couldn't climb out. Just guys that need a little tug.
    As someone else said above, I could get by fine with straps, but enjoy having the winch for certain times when I want to lift something or drag something that requires a little more precision that just yanking it with the truck.

20. Aug 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM
    ATriplett513

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I've definitely been wrong before lol I'm sure someone here knows and will chime in.

Products Discussed in

To Top