1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Keep Your Truck: Theft Prevention

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by jandrews, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Aug 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    jandrews

jandrews [OP] Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Pretty sure my Taco got cased today. Now that I think about it, we don't have a vehicle theft prevention thread on here, and we probably should. Below I've listed some of the common and some of the not-so-common things you can do to prevent vehicle theft. Most of these are extremely inexpensive or free.

Others feel free to reply with your own additions and tricks. I've organized this by price, and it's relatively Tacoma specific. Some of this works for all vehicles in one way or another though.

COMMON SENSE:

Lock Your Goddam Doors. The most common reason vehicles get stolen is because thieves have easy access. Don't give it to them.

Windows Up. Same as above

Don't Leave Valuables in View. Just like businessmen, thieves are looking for margin. If they can steal a truck and an audio system and a laptop, they're more likely to hit you than the next vehicle.

Don't Leave Your Keys in the Vehicle. Just like unlocked doors, a great number of vehicle thefts occur because the thieves had easy access to the vehicle keys. This is also a good reason not to stick your dick in crazy.

Garage It, or Park in the Best Lit/Most Crowded area you can. Hard to access, lots of eyes watching.

FREE:

Back Into Parking Spaces and Use the Parking Brake.
    You should be doing this anyway, because studies show that pulling forward out of parking spaces results in many fewer accidents. In addition, this makes it very difficult for professional thieves (or Repo Men, if you're a deadbeat and aren't making your payments) to tow your truck with a dolly.

Park With The Front Wheels Turned To Lock. In the event that thieves/tow men can access the rear of your vehicle, this makes your vehicle a bitch to tow without it slamming into the car(s) next to you. It also makes a tow dolly a fuck ton harder to get in place from the front.

INEXPENSIVE:

Tinted Windows.
    It is now harder for thieves to view the inside of your vehicle for those valuables your dumb ass left on the shotgun seat, or to see how to access your door locks. Also, glass with tint doesn't shatter, making vehicle access more difficult.

Sunshade. Same principle as window tint for the windshield. Most modern OEM windshields already have factory coating or filming to minimize shattering. Also, protects your interior from UV fading.

Locking Gas Cap. Prevents gas theft, obviously, but also limits anyone who manages to steal your vehicle to whatever is in the tank already - they can't fill up. Decreases the search radius considerably.

The Club or stuff like it - mechanical steering wheel locks. Cheap and just one more thing to spend a thief's time...which they don't like to do.

Kill Switches. You can install these with hand tools and about $10 in parts. Another time-waster for intenders. Best installed somewhere obscure and unusual so they are not easily located.

VIN Etching. This works as a deterrent by etching your VIN into various parts of the vehicle, and the glass, thereby allowing used parts or vehicle purchasers to quickly check ownership. Thieves don't like it because it means they have to damage the vehicle and make up an excuse, or will have a much harder time selling, or will have to replace the etched parts (expensive). Relatively low cost.

Alarm Systems. These can be standalone or combined with engine immobilizers (see below) depending on how much you want to spend. Obviously, they draw attention to your vehicle and something unusual that may be going on in it...

EXPENSIVE:

Lojack and the like.
    Not so much theft prevention as recovery-helper. They have a very good recovery rate, the only downside being coverage areas are limited. Check their website for more info.

Engine Immobilizers. If you're a 2nd gen owner, rejoice - you already have one, and they are probably the most effective device out there for preventing drive-away theft. There are ways to beat them, but they typically require expertise and equipment run of the mill thieves don't have. Only the pros have any success against these things.

For earlier models: These can be purchased aftermarket, though they tend to be less effective/theft resistant than OEM models.

Buy a Crane and Suspend Your Truck When Unattended. I hope you make bank. Also, finding a place to park your crane will be inconvenient. On the plus side, you've pretty much eliminated all thieves that aren't also crane operators. Note: You will have to learn to operate a crane. Read the manual.

LONG TERM:

Remove Vital Chunks.
    If forced to leave your vehicle unattended for several days or more in an area exposed to thieves, consider removing vital innards (front seats, steering wheel) or outards (electrical relays, starter motor) that make the vehicle much more difficult to operate. Ever tried driving a truck with no seat and no steering wheel? When retrieving your vehicle, re-assemble.

SOME PSYCHOTIC BUT HILARIOUS AND PROBABLY MADE UP SHIT I READ ON ANOTHER FORUM:

Weld a Boss and Spark Plug into the Gas Tank.
    A South African member of another forum apparently did this below the quarter tank fuel level and spliced the spark plug into the coil system with a spare coilpack he had laying around. The vehicle was stolen and later exploded as the thieves ran the gas below a quarter tank, killing the four occupants of the stolen vehicle. True or not, I must say, I like his style.

2. Aug 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sonora, CA
    I take my whole wiring harness with me when my truck is parked. Just kidding thats ridiculous

I have wondered if it's possible to send electrical current through your vehicle as a theft prevention mod. Like instead of an audible alarm it's electricity to shock the piss out of you

3. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Not sure if somebody whants to do this but you can buy kit for driving lights/fog lights with remote. Then hard wire that fuel pump solenoid.. Kit comes with the box and remote.
    Make a cable run to inside the cab with hidden switch somewhere under the carpet. In normal operation you use remote to disconnect fuel pump when you leaving truck for long time flip the switch so even if somebody disconnects battery they can not turn on the truck. Best place to tap into wiring for fuel pump is at the computer. There are so many wires there that nobody will be able to figure out what you did. :D

Example
    [​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BD3WHCYS57J0W7Q1YX3

Keep remote separate from keys. Additional future if you get carjack you can stop your car remotely. :D

More fancy version of the same thing
    http://www.amazon.com/Logisys-RM04-4-Channel-Remote-Control/dp/B001RMP7UI/ref=pd_sim_e_5
    [​IMG]

4. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    Tiedie

Tiedie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WFOY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6
    Katzkin, Dobinsons full suspension. Redlinegoods console cover and door panel arm rests, Double USB charger in dash installed, Ballistic Jesters 16x8. BlackVue DR 590 Dash Cam
    I try not to goto town if I'm off work and when I do,I usually carry my MR Baby Desert Eagle full size 15 rd. mag. And don't care who sees the bulge on my side . most theives see you get out of your car,cause their already in the parking lot casing for easy picks.And I park in a secured lot at work.:quickdraw:

5. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I thought everyone did this? or just me?
    :notsure:

6. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:39 PM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    :rofl:

I do the old brick mason trick, after parking your truck simply build to brick walls on either end of said truck and shazam security at its finest. :cool:

No theif is ballzy enough to drive through a wall :rolleyes:

7. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    But in all of seriousness guys, take security seriously. super cereal-sly.
    I used to think my immense intelligence and manly build/godlike amazingness would protect me and my truck.

75374_1687912963601_1410998042_1765426_3_60e296d6e780e0a2e396288019170e22669e78ad.jpg

I was teh wrongs.

vote for /sticky for posterity's protection.

8. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:44 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    What about the trunk monkey?

9. Sep 10, 2011 at 7:59 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2

10. Sep 17, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Don't forget about the Tailgate Hose Clamp mod!

11. Sep 17, 2011 at 8:22 AM
    99TacoDriver

99TacoDriver Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Louisiana
    OME 885x/5100s/LR UCA/3 leaf AAL/275/70/17 Terra Trac X-Venture
    i usually just park my crane in the back of the parking lot... easiest way

12. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    whatatoy

whatatoy Galt/Rearden 2012

Member:
    SO CAL
    Vehicle:
    I like it
    This truck is a work truck - not a lot of fancy mod's here, but it's getting the job done!
    My truck is in on the job site, in the garage locked, or right outside the window of the shop I'm at for the quick minute, always locked... I know my truck is a target so I don't drive it much other than to work... for all other driving, I take my 4runner.

I'm planning on installing a kill switch that sits right on top of the steering wheel column with a neon sign pointing at it - if it's not switched correctly as a part of the start up sequence, the truck locks the doors and counts down from 10 skipping the number 3 and then self implodes because I've already installed claymores all pointing at the drivers seat... get it - kill switch... ha ha. I know this works because I saw this in a movie made for TV.

Seriously though people - common sense, an ounce of prevention, and for Peet's sake people let's enforce the laws that are supposed to scare/deter thieves in the first place!

13. Oct 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Just a note, when removing vital components...do not make the driver's seat a vital component

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top