1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seized 1GR-FE - Need Advice on Finding A Replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Wally, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 27, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Is your wife willing to help you put it in? It would be a great learning experience for her! :)

2. Jul 27, 2011 at 2:53 PM
    darkgreentaco

darkgreentaco XXXL Member

Member:
    NorCaL
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Rocket
    King RR C/O's, Extra mustard, All-Pro expdtn Leaf, sesame seed bun, Icon UCA's Fox Resi's BAMFsliders, sweet candy coating, LCAskids, diffcover 17" Addicts Yukon 4.56 Mt/r kevlar
  3. Jul 27, 2011 at 3:02 PM
    Wally

Wally [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario (the metric version)
    Vehicle:
    07 Access Cab TRD 4x4 6MT 1GR-FE
    ^ Nice GIF ^

Haha! I know, i wimped out ... only because it's hard enough for me to find the time to cut my grass. The last thing I need right now is an engine swap. It's going to be around for a while, maybe in it's second life!

4. Jul 27, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Ouch!!
    However, I can't help my laugh at your "1gr brick".
    Any way you can blame it on a dealer?

5. Jul 27, 2011 at 5:34 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    Can't. Stop. Staring.

6. Jul 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Wow that really sucks. I'm glad to hear you found a reasonably priced replacement though. I've pulled numerous engines (just pulled one from my BMW last week) and it's almost always easier to pull the engine and trans at once. On my FJ40 that was one really long combo with the T/C too but it's way easier to separate everything with it out of the vehicle. I honestly don't know if the radiator supports come out of these trucks but if they did pulling it all at once would be easy. I also find it much easier to lift the drivetrain and then the roll the vehicle back out from under it. But I would be curious to see just how damaged the original engine is. A few years back I had spent a small fortune building a hot rod 2F for my FJ40. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to one incorrectly stamped Fel Pro gasket for the oil cooler when assembling it and I locked it up solid breaking in the cam. On these trucks the pressure sensor is on the oil cooler and it had oil going in but none going out. I couldn't budge it with a 4 foot 3/4" drive breaker bar. But after pulling the engine and inspecting everything the only thing that was damaged was the main and rod bearings. Everything else was fine. And that was a new engine with no oil in the head. On something that's a daily driver I think you're taking the correct route here in repairing it but curiosity would have me tearing down that engine once the truck is running again.

7. Jul 28, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'll definitely be tearing it down (I'm curious too) but that will be a winter project. I was really surprised to see the condition of the valve train when i pulled the valve covers off, it looked completely OK. But just because you can't see damage visually, it doesn't mean there wasn't significant wear. I'll be doing some careful inspection with mics and magnifying glasses.

If I pull it apart and it's just a spun bearing, I might rebuild it. We'll see ... TBD

8. Jul 28, 2011 at 8:54 AM
    CalgaryRider

CalgaryRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    2009 Tacoma SR5 Too many to list, but its a SR5 with a TRD Sport Heart
    I feel your pain man, except I did the damage myself. I will be keeping a close eye on this thread to see how it goes and the outcome.

Maybe if your scrapping the seized motor, I might buy it off you for parts. I may need a new connecting rod for a rebuild of a Hydro-locked motor.....

9. Jul 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Thats right--BLAME it on your wife---LOLOL. Mine cannot drive a manual.

10. Jul 28, 2011 at 9:24 AM
    05RedTaco

05RedTaco Nom Nom Nom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma XtraCab 2.7L 4x4
    Same here. I tried to teach my wife how to drive manual my clutch smelled for hours afterwards...LOL

Gotta give her props for trying though!

11. Jul 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You know, I've fully accepted my responsibility for this happening. My wife is a hard core girly-girl so understanding the function of mechanical things is just not in her realm. So I used the analogy of how oil in an engine is like blood to a human being, both will die w/o it.

I will be wrenching solo ... and I will be more careful in the future. Yet another example of how I will never EVER be able to predict the behavior of a female in any given situation :confused:

BTW, I'm trying to get her to pose for a hilarious picture. If I get her in a good mood, I'll post it. It'll be funny.

12. Sep 9, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    Sorry to hear about your truck, glad you found a motor.

Just out of curiosity where in Ontario do you live? I'm in Caledon just north of Toronto.

Shawn

13. Sep 9, 2011 at 9:40 PM
    Wally

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just outside of Belle River (east of Windsor) close to Lake St. Clair. My buddy is actually dropping by in the morning with his engine hoist so the dead engine will be out tomorrow and I can start working on getting ready for the reassembly. The whole thing has been pretty straightforward but I haven't worked on it too much lately, trying to enjoy the end of summer weather instead.

I was really happy to find an engine with low miles for a good price. Check this out, the filter on it was the one from the original factory assembly, it never even made it to it's first oil change.

[​IMG]

SOP is to pull the transmission so it was nice to get a chance to inpspect the clutch and the wear on the bellhousing snout the release bearing rides on. 25000 miles and it just has a little discoloration. I measured the dark sections with a vernier caliper and it didn't seem to have more than maybe 1 thou of wear so definitely not ready to start the chirping problem. I think I may order the parts for the TSB anyways while it's out so I know it's good for the rest of the life of the truck. Here's a couple of pics ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So everything looks fine with my clutch and throwout bearing. Not sure why some have the premature wear and others don't.

Anyhow ... it's progressing when I feel like working on it. Reassembly will be starting soon. But I can't emphasize how much I hate that freakin wiring harness. It's a single piece from inside the firewall, across and around every corner of the engine, and back over the top of the whole tranny. Those clips will eventually drive you nuts, you need a small mirror to figure out how to get some of them off and they are in difficult positions.

Anyhow ... it's coming along and I've learned a ton about my truck. It'll never see a dealer now for anything.

14. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    I'd install the URD sleeve and release bearing kit while you are there, for the couple hundred bucks it costs. Hope the rest goes smoothly for you, sounds like a great score on the new engine.

15. Sep 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    good on ya for doing all the work yourself, hope it goes smoothly.

and yeah.......understanding women....pffff, don't even try. as long as she makes sammiches and puts out....knock on wood and keep yer mouth shut :D

16. Mar 6, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    Dirt

Dirt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Brentwood
    Vehicle:
    rosscmuirhead@gmail.com
    How much was this engine?

Products Discussed in

To Top