1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Compass/temp module in tan overhead console

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Lurkin, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Sep 12, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I modified my tan overhead console and put a stock temp/comp module into it.

What I did was; I found (was offered) a grey temp/comp console for a reasonable price, I took the grey console and removed the temp/comp unit/plastic surround (more on this below), and placed it into the tan console.

The grey temp/comp unit's plastic surround is attached to the console using melted plastic tabs and rings. You need to heat those spots and manipulate the plastic so that you can remove the unit from the new console, remove the garage door bin from the tan console (heat and plastic again), then place the unit into the tan console. Then reheat and bend the plastic tabs and rings back down.

I then found a "reasonably" color matched can of Fusion paint at Wally world. It's just a bit lighter, but close enough for me. If you want a total match on the entire console, I think you'll need to paint the entire console, or find some way to get a can of the tan interior's color matched paint.

I removed the temp/comp unit from the console (remove the unit from the plastic with 3 screws), masked off the unit's grey plastic surround from the console and painted it tan. NOTE, much easier to remove the unit/surround from the grey console, remove the unit from the grey plastic surround, paint the plastic surround tan, THEN put the new tan plastic surround/unit into the old console. I got in a hurry to see it working and didn't want to have to trip over to Wally world for a can of paint first.

Also, for heat, I'd read that using a soldering iron works and was going to use that, but got too lazy to untangle the extension cord, and decided to use a propane torch... It did work, but was like using a 20 lb sledge hammer to pound a nail. I would recommend a soldering iron with a spade-like tip on it.

P1010036.jpg

tacotacolove77 likes this.
  2. Sep 12, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    709GADE

709GADE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 SR5 DC LB - Pyrite Mica
    Toyota aluminium side steps, Toyota door sill protectors Extang trifecta tonneau cover, U-Haul Class 3 hitch, Black Weathertech's, Front mudflaps trimmed 4", OEM Fog Lights, WeatherTech Bug Deflector, 13" Stubby antenna, TRD Skid Plate, ScanGaugeII, Carriage Works Billet Grille, Plasti Dipped overhead temp/compass console, LT265/75/16 Duratrac's LR C
    Great job!

3. Feb 7, 2015 at 1:58 PM
    klevings

klevings New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2015 prerunner
    was the wiring their for your compass/ temp. mine has oem sensor @ radiator and 14 wire plug @ overhead console 2015 tacoma

4. Feb 7, 2015 at 2:29 PM
    hitech

hitech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blair
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Just some dumb regular crap everyone else has
    I have a 2014 DCSB Sport, it did not come with one. If I could find a used one, I grab it in a heartbeat. Nice job!

5. May 11, 2019 at 7:29 PM
    lcropper

lcropper Member

Member:
    Do they make a tan one with temp and compass?? I've been looking for one forever

6. May 12, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    No, that was the original problem. Temp/compass in those years was only on the TRDs, and they were grey interior only.

Products Discussed in

To Top