1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hidden Trailer Brake Controller install (pics)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kayak Taco, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    Kayak Taco

Kayak Taco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 AC TRD OR 6MT
    Hey guys -
    I did the following mod to install an electric trailer brake controller in my 2007 Access Cab and I thought you guys would be interested as I think it is a pretty good solution. First, I found this very small trailer brake controller on Amazon...
    http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-74377-Brake-control/dp/B000CQSKV8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315974379&sr=8-1
    It's a pretty simple unit, but it is solid state and can be mounted at any angle.

Next, I cut out the back of the drop down change tray in front of the fuse panel to allow the controller to sit all the way down into the change tray to allow the tray to close. See the first picture to see how I cut out the tray.

Now all there is to it is to slip the controller into the tray, wire the controller up to the factory harness, and install.

After the install, I towed my 17' twin axle equipment trailer with my tractor from SC to NH. It worked great, and I don't notice anything lacking with this controller. Sure, there are more complex brake controllers, but this one worked fine, and I felt safe towing the 6000lb load over 1000 miles.

Enjoy!

DSC_0053.jpg
    DSC_0054.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg

lynyrd3, jeephreak and seattlesig like this.
  2. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    Nice clean install, great job and a good place to put the controller

3. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Nice setup. Just installed a Ultra brakeman controller on the Wifes Tacoma just below where you mounted yours. Good idea to have it out of the way.:thumbsup:

4. Sep 14, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    Kayak Taco

Member:
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 AC TRD OR 6MT
    Thanks guys! Before this truck I had a Titan. I had the brake controller on that truck mounted under the dash, and I was never satisfied with that location as it looked out of place and I would bump it with my knees every so often. I wanted a more out of the way location and I hadn't seen this solution before so I thought I would share....

5. Sep 14, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Very stealth, but wouldn't you want to have it accessible while driving? So you can manually brake the trailer if it starts to sway?

6. Sep 14, 2011 at 8:10 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    info on how it's hooked up to the wiring harness please. i need to do this myself

7. Sep 14, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    WildWolfy

WildWolfy Assitant Trainer/ Supervisor

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Just South of Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 SR5
    Just Startin Stock TRD with Locking Rear and SR5 package
    well the thing does pop down easy, maybe leave it open while towing if you need to brake the trailer, and when its not needed shut the door?

8. Sep 14, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    Kayak Taco

Member:
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 AC TRD OR 6MT
    MJon - Yep WildWolfy's got it right. Open when in use, closed the rest of the time. All of the controls are accessible when the change tray is open, so I can use it when I am towing and have it completely hidden the rest of the time.

hookedontronix - There's a 4 wire Toyota Brake controller pigtail that comes with all Tacos with the tow package (or maybe all Tacos?). This pigtail connects to the wires that come out of the controller and plugs in under the dash. The Brake controller manual tells you which wire goes where. I just used crimp type butt connectors to join the pigtail wires to the brake controller, then plugged the pigtail into the proper spot under the dash. Look in your owners manual, it will show you where the brake controller pigtail plugs in. If you don't have the pigtail with your truck, I am sure it'd only be a few $$ from the dealer. It was very easy to do.

9. Mar 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    zebramidge

zebramidge New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    Hey Kayak Like the looks of your install. Followed the link to Amazon and when I plugged in 2012 Tacoma to check on compatability it said the Reese Towpower 74377 Pod Brake control does not fit my vehicle. For grins, I put in 2007 the same as your Taco and got the same message. What gives?

10. Mar 28, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    RogueLeader

RogueLeader Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab SR5 TRD
    Scroll down the page and there is are pictures of other controllers. Select one of them and run the compatibility check. Two of them I selected seemed to work.

11. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    Kayak Taco

Member:
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 AC TRD OR 6MT
    The other models may not be as compact as this one. There's no magic compatibility to trailer brake controllers. Buy one, follow the wiring directions to wire the correct wires on the controller to the correct wires on the Toyota pigtail, and plug n play

12. Mar 30, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    zebramidge

zebramidge New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    Not sure why Amazon considers some incompatible. Found similar Tekonsha "pod" model compatible with Tacoma at etrailer and ordered it. My local Toyota dealer suggests fastening it into the coin tray cavity to the right of the steering wheel, but I like your solution better, assuming it doesn't bump into the fuse panel behind it. Dimensions on model ordered are 3" wide x 5" long x 1-1/4" tall. Thanks for the advice.

13. Apr 30, 2012 at 5:14 AM
    Strider

Strider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    NH
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bestop softtop, Step rails, Husky liners, Stinger Pro battery. More to come.
    I decided to buy one from Pep Boys but its a four wire and the connector that came with the Toy is a five wire. Should I be looking into a different controller?

14. Apr 30, 2012 at 5:48 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Like the idea, but it seems like the weight of the controller mounted on the "coin tray door" would pop the tray open if going over rough or bumpy roads? Mine seems to pop open at times with nothing in it? :confused:

15. May 2, 2012 at 9:02 AM
    zebramidge

zebramidge New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    Yeah, PSJ. It's just a pressure fit, plastic to plastic. I got mine in there and it stays put pretty well. The good thing is that the small controllers don't weigh very much. Not a perfect solution, but still better than hanging out and ripping up your knees.

16. May 2, 2012 at 10:38 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Always hated the "bracket below dash mount" option- in my last truck I put one it in a little sm compartment like this but without a "door" and it fit great and out of sight except for the readout or front face of the controller. Just wondered if it popped open from time to time, but as you say the weight of these small units should keep them contained except for the occasional bang! on the trail...:D

17. May 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    Great idea. Very clean looking install.

18. Jul 16, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    tyaker

tyaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    Leveled, Dakar HD rear leafs, Ride-Rites
    I'm going to be wedging my new brake controller in the same spot, I think. One other guy I hit up for info said he was having issues with the little door not wanting to stay closed.

Kayak Taco, did you have any problems with that? I'm thinkin' there might have to be an exterior latch screwed on or something like that to keep it from flopping open.

If the Tekonsha box I'm getting ends up being too big, this all might be a moot point, but I definitely like the idea of "stealth mode" for the little black box. :thumbsup:

19. Jul 17, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    Kayak Taco

Member:
    Signal Mountain, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 AC TRD OR 6MT
    Nope, never have any issues with it falling down. Spent all last week on high speed logging roads in Maine and not once did it fall open.

20. Jan 23, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Twiostaco

Twiostaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 White DC TRD Sport
    5100's front set to .85 w/eibach springs, 5100 rear w/toytec 2"AAL, Light Race UCA, 17" Black Rhino Ocotillo wheels, 265/70/17 KO2's, K&N drop in filter, Grill Craft front mesh, one piece driveshaft (vibes gone) rear diff breather mod, BHLM, Fog anytime, 886 reverse bulbs.
    I did this mod back in September and I love it!!! Never thanked you for the idea and write up. mI ordered the same controller and its been great....THANKS!

Products Discussed in

To Top