1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking at new laptop... PC or Mac?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by memario1214, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple%E2%80%93Intel_transition

Ever since Apple went to Intel Processors, their CPU "quality" has been the same, hence guys buying $399 laptops and running OSX on them.

http://www.hackintosh.com/

2. Sep 9, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab long bed.
    Hood Strusts, remote Start, truck came with Leveling kit and wheels.
  3. Sep 9, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    mrp192

mrp192 REALLY!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Cheney WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma Dbl cab long bed.
    Hood Strusts, remote Start, truck came with Leveling kit and wheels.
  4. Sep 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Umm, It's called Apple care.. Worth the cost.

I just got my first Mac (Macbook Pro) and love it.

My one year old Windows based laptop is running in the corner and I hear the fan going full bore and I'm not doing a single thing on it. My Mac is running nice and smooth. My Windows laptop also crashes every other day... I have had to reinstall windows 3x already. Sure for $600 it "works" but the headache it has been is not worth it to me.

My first Apple product was an iPhone and I was impressed. It worked, nothing requiring reboots (AT&T recommended that the Blackjack II be rebooted every other day). I have an iPhone 4 now and will get the iPhone 5 when it comes out. Apple make good shit and I'm pretty sure it is all I'll be running from here on out.

Windows=Chevy/Dodge
    Apple=Toyota

Pay a little more for a quality product IMHO.

5. Sep 10, 2011 at 10:53 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Macs ARE better, and I recommend getting a Macbook as a second computer just because it will always work for you if the desktop dies (or when the desktop dies).

However, for any kind of Engineering field a PC is necessary to run programs like inventor, ansys, etc. So having one laying around is a good idea.

I have a 3 year old Macbook that has never crashed on me BTW. Over 1000 cycles on the original battery and still going strong at 80% health.

6. Sep 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Then you've got a poorly configured Windows machine or bad hardware. Then again what did you expect for $600? I have XP and Win 7 machines that run flawlessly, getting a reboot maybe once a month. Otherwise they're hibernated. But I paid a hell of a lot more than $600 .. though not nearly what Apple wants for the same hardware.

Don't get me wrong ... Apple's great. But too many people load absolute shit on their Windows machines, and then want to blame Windows when it clogs up the works.

7. Sep 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Heard about assuming?

I manage IT systems, I have nothing but problems with Windows machines in a production environment. I'm sure there will be problems with Apple machines in a production environment but...

My laptop has been wiped and had a fresh install of Win 7 Ultimate. It's a 2.3G processor and 4Gb ram. Everybody tasks about how cheap the "PC" is but it's a hell of a lot of work to keep it running.

I'll admit Mac's are less secure than a windows based PC but they are not attacked nearly as much as a MS based OS.

I like the Mac and after nearly 20 years on a MS based machine the Mac is a nice change of pace.

8. Sep 11, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    ^ ^ This.

I also manage IT systems for a living, and with around 450 PC's in the field, it is nothing but headaches for me.

I wish I could move over to solely using my Mac to manage the infrastructure, but even with RDP for Mac, it's a PITA.

One day...

Fink

9. Sep 11, 2011 at 8:52 AM
    jodiddly33

jodiddly33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonah
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 Golf TDI
    I've been using my MacBook pro for nearly 3 years and I have never had a single problem with it. My windows-run laptop before that was always getting viruses (I was in high school, figuring out which pr0n sites were best :p), my Mac has never gotten a single one. And it's not just about the guts of apple products, the build quality is spectacular and is a work of art compared to all the plastic covered pcs. I'm a mechanical engineering major and am DREADING the day that I will need a pc to run certain programs, but I'll always have a Mac :D

10. Sep 11, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    X2!

These are the same people who don't maintain anything else and are surprised when the said piece of equipment or vehicle takes a dump.

* For you that "do" and still have issues your the minority or you're just cursed :p *

May I suggest this and this for those who are all about not wanting to support "The Man a.k.a Mr. Gates" granted it will take some reading and research but... well that's up to you.

11. Sep 13, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    dpak

dpak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 TRD Offroad DCSB
    Toytec/Eibach coils w/ 5100's set at 0, Toytec 2.0 Aluma Rear Shocks, Toytec Boss Leaf Springs, TRD Catback Exhaust, SCS F-5 Matte Gray Wheels, Elusive Elements Mesh Grill
    forget the mac, get a panasonic toughbook!

12. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    I got my Macbook Pro last september, saved like $100 cause I'm a student, you will not regret it, they are more expensive than a windows laptop for a reason

This is all from my own experience, I've gone through 2 HP laptops in 3 years, they weren't cheap ones either, both were above the $900 price tag, and both lost battery charge fairly fast, both laptops had a fan that was pretty looud......

Get a mac, you won't regreat it, it has a high resale value if you want to sell even after a year

They look so much better than any windows laptop

They are so quiet!!

13. Sep 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM
    WhiteWiddow

WhiteWiddow a member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Washington State
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 V6 TRD Sport DC LB 4X4
    Same ish everyones doin
    15" Macbook Pro is the best bang for buck IMO. I bought one when they first came out like 5 years ago and have never had a single pop up, spyware, er any of that crap, still hella fast and ive put it through alot with travels, work, etc...in the mean time my brother and parents didnt listen and have gone through prob. about 3-4 PC's in the mean time cause they are cheaper but they suck. If you can afford it Macintosh is the only way to roll.

14. Sep 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    pantherballhp

pantherballhp Active Member

Member:
    Athens, WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma
    i've had my macbook since 07 and i'll never own another non-mac. def the best computer I've ever had/used

15. Sep 14, 2011 at 1:23 AM
    TacomaMtnMan

TacomaMtnMan those who seek fear shall be followed by fear

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Broomfield
    Vehicle:
    Fox Shox lifted DC 4x4
    3" lift using Fox Shocks Coilover, Total Chaos UCA's. Running: Duratrac 285/70/17 Rear suspension just a 1" block for now. Will have custom rear springs no block. Fox w/ Resi.

I second this! I just switched to Mac 6 months ago... best thing I ever did... it did not take long to learn, its similar to PC except so many functions that just make sense and Microsoft is so far behind on the band-wagon.

16. Sep 14, 2011 at 4:44 AM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.

17. Sep 14, 2011 at 5:00 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    If you buy a Mac right now, and your a student, you will get $100 for the Mac store for software.

18. Sep 14, 2011 at 5:05 AM
    Pope953

Pope953 That's a fact Jack!

Member:
    First Name:
    Wesley
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    SR5 Pickup
    35% up front, 20% in the back window tint, 15" Mickey Thompson bullet hole wheels, with 31x10.5 Firestone Destination A/T tires. Glass Pack, High Flow Cat, S&B CAI, Custom Light Bar with 4 fog lights. 2 10" Rockford Fosgate P2 subs with 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Amp, CB.
    MAC!!! I have 2. Both run phenomenal. Had them a year, no viruses, no slowing down, nothing. You won't be disappointed. The reason they are so much more expensive is because you don't have to upgrade every 2 years. I will have my Mac's for years before I have to update.

19. Sep 14, 2011 at 5:26 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I have to deal with both...and I'd choose pc any day. Everywhere I look it seems like people are using macs. Is it a status thing? Maybe.
    The thing that pisses me off most about macs is their proprietary nature. Hell, if your iPod battery goes dead you gotta go buy a whole new iPod.
    Call me old, call me anti-trendy (I won't argue against those), but I hate anything from Apple.

20. Sep 14, 2011 at 7:29 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    If you are going to go with a PC, Lenovo/IBM is the way to go.

That's all we use at the Bank's I support. I have a T61 with 4GB of RAM and an Intel Centrino 2.0GHz processor running Windows 7 and I can manage the entire infrastructure, while running Adobe Photoshop, MS SQL, etc. with no problems at all.

Gigabit Ethernet FTW.

Fink

Products Discussed in

To Top