1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recalibrating VSC, why & how?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jrobson, May 13, 2010.

1. Sep 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Blake,

You'll observe there's a switch (car on skiddie tires) on your dash that you can press-and-hold for about 5 seconds at vehicle start up to disable VSC while the vehicle is running. (First the Auto-LSD light kicks on, then after a few seconds it turns off and the "car on skiddie tires dash light goes on instead - Now VSC is off until you shut off ignition or turn it back on by pushing the button.)

I'm convinced that user action can be replicated by building a simple circuite with one or two "time delay relay" switches (that's a term you can google on)

Then you'd replace the existing VSC disable switch with your custom switch, without cutting or altering any factory wires. An electrical-engineer friend could help you design and solder this up, but it should be pretty simple.

2. Sep 21, 2010 at 10:11 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Steve , are you going to try to build your VSC bypass switch ?

[​IMG]

3. Oct 4, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    If you have the Toyota scanner, you can do that. Otherwise, it's the dealer.

Yeah. If the dealer hasn't heard of it, the procedure will help. They should have the tools.

4. Nov 1, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    dp2hike

dp2hike Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    '10 DBL Cab SR5 4X4
    3" Ready lift, 17" XD Revolver Rims, 285/70 Terra Grapplers, Steprails, Tonneau cover, 25/35 window tint, CalTrend seat covers
    I have a 3" readylift kit w/ 285/70/17 terragrapplers on an 2010 DC SR5 4x4. I noticed that after I got the lift and tires when i am going up a turn or exiting a turn or if I hit a low point in the road I hear a high pitched whine like something trying to activate. Could this be the VSC?

5. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I just noticed this question when the thread got bumped.

The answer is, sorry, no. But since I personally haven't had the problems with the VSC, I don't have any reason to burn the time to build a switch like that.

6. Nov 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    The VSC is amazing on a pickup... why are you guys weird about it?

On previous trucks, wet weather, when turning and accelerating (like from a stop light, turning right) a normal pickup will fishtail way wide... as it can do when you have a panic move on the freeway to avoid hitting something... The new Tacoma (with VSC) automatically corrects the spin-out... It handles like a 4WD on wet roads with the VSC in 2WD.

The only anti-VSC issue I can think of is when off roading at speed and the beeping could really be done-away with. I like the TRAC (limited slip) otherwise I would turn off the VSC (as BJ Moose said) by holding the switch down while stopped until the VSC OFF light comes on.

7. Nov 1, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    If you read the thread, you would understand that it needs to be reset when you make changes to the front end of the vehicle (tire size, lift, front end alignment). And that some vehicles have issues if it's not reset.

If you don't reset it, it's possible it will not work correctly. In my particular case, the VSC would come on when it wasn't necessary and in a very unpredictable manner.

I don't think anyone's saying it sucks just that it needs care and feeding like anything else.

Key-Rei likes this.
  8. Nov 1, 2010 at 6:06 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    The VSC is great when it works properly , not so amazing when it engages when you are driving at normal speeds , and in my case on dry pavement .

UA tacoma likes this.
  9. Nov 2, 2010 at 1:56 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    fyI, I think the b-off program doesn't beep the VSC... was trying to fishtail the thing on wet pavement.. saw the lights.. heard no beep.

10. Feb 13, 2011 at 12:18 PM
    tim allan

tim allan Well-Known Member

Member:
    apex, nc
    Vehicle:
    2017 double cab trd offroad
    I know when I used to work at just tires when doing alignments on vsc toyotas you had to use codelink by hunter to reset the sensors

11. Jun 16, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    sdheda

sdheda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherj
    HB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    In progress :/
    Has anyone tried recalibrating the VSC using the method above. I have a 3" lift with 33" tires. When I went to the dealer, they wanted to charge me $128 to do this!:eek:

I asked them if there was anyway I can disable the system since it is turning on when I turn. They told me that it was a safety feature and cannot be turned off.

Of course I left without getting it done. There are several dealers near me, so I can try others. But if the above procedure works, then I can just try it myself.

12. Jun 16, 2011 at 9:07 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    Try a different dealer or even find a local mechanic who works on Toyota products--the later could be cheaper.

Or try the method above.

13. Jun 16, 2011 at 9:26 AM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
    X2...
    I had this happen to me, (Toytec ULK and 285/70/17) happened a few times last week, but monday was the worst, was following a buddy from work through a winding mountain road, there were 3 cars in front of him, they all slammed on their brakes, as did he because a bus came flying around one turn... when i noticed, i lifted, went for the brake.. the VSC kicked in.. i hit the brake pedal and it was solid! No Brakes! im guessing this is a safety feature because the VSC i beleive works by braking a certain corner of the truck, so it you threw the hooks, it would eff everything up... luckily it disengaged and i was able to brake, not seconds later i would have smashed into his truck....
    But it is a geat thing when it works properly... had it save my ass twice already.

14. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    DrFunker likes this.
  15. Jun 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM
    KevLot17

KevLot17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    '10 Blacked Out TRD Sport
    Debadged, Toytec Ultimate Lift, Banks Monster Exhaust, AFE Pro Dry filter, Black Grillecraft grille, Flat Black background headlights, Red Blinkers and markers with alternating turn signal mod, Krypton Bulbs 6000K Headlights and Fogs, Fog Light anytime Mod, LED interior lights with map light mod, AVS Black Taillight Covers, Tinted Windows, WeatherTech Digital floor liners.
  16. Jun 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    sdheda

sdheda Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sherj
    HB, Ca
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    In progress :/
    After searching around a bit it seems this problem is not only affecting Tacomas that are lifted. It is also a common problem with lifted Tundras. If you read , the same procedure using a wire as a short can be done on the Tundra. But they go on to even adjust the angle and level of the sensor. Some people there have reported a change in their acceleration by changing the angle of the sensor so that it thinks it is nose down.

Does anyone know the location of the sensor in the Tacoma?

Edit: Found another set of instructions for the 5th generation 4runner. The zero point calibration technique is nearly the same as the Tacoma.

17. Sep 15, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    Relik

Relik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddy
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport PreRunner-Auto-Magnetic Gray
    Bilstein 5100s (Front & ext. Rear), Eibach coils @ 0, MaxTrac 4" Spindles, Light Racing UCAs, 1/4" lean spacer, All-Pro 3" Standard leafs, u-bolt flip kit, SpiderTrax 1.25" wheel spacers, 33" (285/70/17) TreadWright Warden A/T tires, extended lines
    Found this thread through another, I got this problem. I had this document here's where the Yaw Sensor is. I remember seeing couple sensors under carpet under front seat when I stripped the interior. IIRC it was not 3 bolts like the tundra. Might take a look later

Yaw_Sensor_Location_56f09b8d7c90972b1e65e8c5bca6e1347eb6faef.jpg

18. Sep 16, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    VSC_all_ee102a22b9caf36b9415de2d63980b4b95fb23e8.jpg

Aldizzle13 likes this.
  19. Feb 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    Pull the ABS 1 50 amp fuse from the underhood fusebox. ABS, VSC and traction control are disabled. Don't need nanny systems offroad. Worked on my 2012. Systems like these help make bad drivers average, but they also make good and excellent drivers average also.

Asianmike* likes this.
  20. Feb 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    well...good and excellent drivers know that vsc, and mastering how to work
    with it, adds a new fun dimension to driving... and when done correctly, you
    can out-drive and out-handle anyone that doesn't have vsc. (same vehicle and
    same tires) that is, if it is correctly setup and it's stock (within program specs)

4runner, no vsc and I like it. but when she breaks loose, it is loose and you
    are in for a ride. Taco...dang I can recover that thing from almost any type of skid

Products Discussed in

To Top