1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need help installing aftermarket double din stereo

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aedwars11, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Apr 16, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    aedwars11

aedwars11 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    I am trying to install a Pioneer AVH-P2300 DVD player but am having trouble with the green wire to the break. Any ideas?

2. Apr 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM
    MSL77385

MSL77385 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Conroe, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 4cyl 5sp
    Reading the installation instructions indicate that the light green wire is attached to the power (12V) side of the parking brake switch. That implies to me that the 12V potential will inhibit the DVD functionality and when the parking brake is applied that point would go to ground potential and allow a DVD to play.

So what exactly is your question?

3. Apr 17, 2011 at 5:27 PM
    wayne73

wayne73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wayne
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma Sport 4x4
    Hook it to the one wire leading away from you parking break pedal under the dash for legal hook up. Or ground it for full DVD use (technically illegal)

4. Sep 21, 2011 at 11:27 AM
    Bloodhound

Bloodhound Banned from the Pics Thread

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed
    Thought I would BUMP this thread instead of creating a new one.

Here's the question I have regarding hooking up a toggle switch for the P2300:

How would one go about the wiring for this? From everything I have read the green wire goes to a hot, 12V wire on the parking brake, and that grounding this out allows playback for DVD's. What I am looking to do is run a toggle switch instead of the parking break that will allow me to switch the function on or off :rolleyes:. I guess I'm not sure which wire I should use to do this. I've thought about using the remote wire off the back of the radio and installing a switch that goes to a ground but I'm skeptical of popping a fuse on the back of the radio.

Any suggestions or past experiences? I've looked at the relay option but don't really want to have it running all the time, I'd rather toggle and mount in a hidden area or on a spare faceplate between the AUX input and the A-TRAC button.

edit: full-time grounding of the wire, again from what I've read, will not work due to the stereo needing to see it being grounded after the HU is powered up.

5. Sep 21, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    bamma

bamma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    Current: 2011 Land Cruiser
    Radio shack sells a box ( 4-pole 12V relay ) that you can use to bypass/override the parking brake function. (about six bucks) Search on google and/or youtube for pioneer parking bypass. I'm pretty sure there are other threads on this site that discuss it.

The switch has a delay to the parking brake wire so when you turn on the car the player sees power and then the parking brake activate a second later. It worked great for me, but I don't and do not advocate driving with video on the monitor...I just didn't want to deal with pulling the parking brake every time I wanted to view video.

6. Sep 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB
    Floor-mats, Running Boards, Shorty Antenna, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, AVS In-Channel VentVisors, Beer cans in the bed

I'm actually trying to avoid using the relay and just use a toggle switch. I've searched on here but have not really found a definitive write-up concerning how to do it for this particular radio/brand. One user posted a video but didn't show any of the wiring.

7. Sep 21, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    http://www.avic411.com/

A Pioneer owner's group dedicated to the installation and modification of these devices. They would know how and which wire to use.

8. Sep 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB

Thanks for the link, I'll check them out and try to figure this out before my install kit comes in.

9. Sep 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    beaver_scott

beaver_scott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    renton, wa
    Vehicle:
    2015 inferno trd pro
    vent shades, tinted windows, clear bra, pop n lock tail gate lock, anytime fog light mod.
    with my in dash jvc dvd navigation unit, which i installed myself, i just loosened a bolt on a metal piece under the dash and ran the green wire to that bolt and tightened it down. basically all you have to do is ground out the green wire and you will have all functions to your dvd and nav unit while driving. hooking it up to the parking brake is just hooking it up to a circut...p brake on=circut closed/on. p brake off = circut open/off. or if you want a toggle switch...just run the green wire to the switch and a wire from the switch to a metal ground in your truck somewhere.

10. Sep 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    Make sure you search until your fingertips are bloody before you ask a question on that forum. I've seen threads where they flame you hard for asking a question that you could have searched for but would have taken hours to find.

11. Sep 22, 2011 at 12:42 AM
    Bloodhound

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    East Moline, IL
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD O/R DBL-CAB

I've been reading the same from other websites about avic and their search nazis...:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top