1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Midwest winter driving

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MMurray, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Dec 1, 2007 at 8:50 AM
    MMurray

MMurray [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Rural Madison County IA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Access Cab TRD Off Road
    None yet
    OK it finally came in! I picked up my 08 access cab last night. Since I drive 60 miles a day to work I went with a 2 wd 4 cyl 5 spd over the 4X4. Today we are being hit with an ice storm and she isn't going anywhere. My last 2wd truck was an S10 and I would put 2 70lb sand bags in the back for winter driving.

Anyone out there in snow country have a recommendation?
    Mike

2. Dec 1, 2007 at 8:59 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Yeah I live in Crapchester N.Y. , if permissable studded tires all the way around, yep even in the fronts, need to stop ! :eek:

3. Dec 1, 2007 at 12:16 PM
    TuRDTACO

TuRDTACO Carolina Alliance: Midwest Firearms Division

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    HAD 07 TRD OFFROAD PRERUNNER
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    just got our first snow here, threw a couple 75lb rocks in the bed but i'm still sliding around :mad:

4. Dec 1, 2007 at 3:35 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    You guys are making the news, I should be on the news by mon eve. at the latest, becareful out there. :ballchain:

5. Dec 1, 2007 at 3:37 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    But what about all the beer ? will there be enough room ? :drunk:

6. Dec 1, 2007 at 8:04 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    small dent on the hood, new foglight bulb, roughed up bedliner, been smoked in, suspicious stains on the passenger seat, boogers on the drivers seat, dirty floor mats, girl doodles on the dirty windows, loose wiring
    the rocks will be gone in time for the meet in the spring lol, my truck will still be the beer truck!! i might have a toolbox by then so we can just fill that with beer if the tarp idea seems too excessive

7. Dec 2, 2007 at 8:12 AM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    SWEET !! Considering I am getting pounded by the first snowstorm of the year, I will bring the ice ! I'll have plenty ! :drunk:

8. Dec 2, 2007 at 8:37 AM
    Kevin296@adelphia.net

Kevin296@adelphia.net Member

Member:
    Central NY
    Vehicle:
    Rad Red Sport
    TRD exhaust TRD CAI Urd Maf Cal TRD seat covers Black Tacoma and Toyota Emblems Subbie ant
    Trade it in for a 4x4

9. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:22 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    EVERYTHING here was completely covered in ice yesterday, it suuuucked

10. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:24 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    i value the effort of 2wd :D in all reality i wish i had a DC long bed 4x4 :mad:

11. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:47 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Just cowboy up and get one, they make 'um at the store all day. :eek::evil::laugh:

12. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:53 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    i can't bro, my credit sucks now and i'm broke haha, maybe next year i will tho. here's a pic of the first snow for my taco

snow.jpg

13. Dec 2, 2007 at 4:56 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I know, it's tough out there, just a shame, the dealers are really dealing.

14. Dec 2, 2007 at 5:02 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    i didnt get a bad deal or anything but i didnt put any money down and i just got it in may so i'd be upside down

15. Dec 2, 2007 at 5:12 PM
    concrete jedi

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, whether your in the bank or the mud, upside down sux ! :eek:

16. Dec 2, 2007 at 5:15 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    yes sir

17. Dec 3, 2007 at 6:26 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    MMurray, well driving a 2wheeler in the snow is one thing, ice is another. While you are safer in a 4 wheel drive, ice is a bummer no matter what your in.Just creep along is the only answer, if you can get your truck going in a straight line.
    Now for the snow problem, weight in the back is good, perhaps more sandbags over the rear axle, just like your doing, also you could invest in a good set of winter tires and wheels , I realize that there is some expense, but Tire Rack and those type places can get you excellent snow tires and rims, all balanced and will ship to you. You don't need fancy rims either or perhaps go to a salvage yard and pick up some rims and have good snows put on them.
    I have a 4x4 access, 06, V6, 6spd and in two wheel in the snow , its useless, but in 4wheel its does an outstanding job. Plus the standard shift allows you to control things better in my opinion, as you can use the engine as a "brake" .
    Caution and a very light foot is the key in the snow.

Jeff ,06,V6,6spd, 4x4, SR5 access cab. Radiant Red

18. Dec 3, 2007 at 6:58 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    You know - I never had an issue with 2WD in the snow. As a matter of fact, I have only had 1 AWD vehicle in the snow (my old Subaru). Jeff is right - care, light foot, good tires, and weight on the rear-end are key.

Cheers!

19. Dec 3, 2007 at 7:15 AM
    Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hopkinton,MA
    Vehicle:
    Nice 6spd,V6, very solid truck
    None currently, but I would like a better sounding exhaust and perhaps a cold air pack and some color coded step bars
    You also have to realize that the younger generation does not drive well in the dry and its worse in the winter weather and add cell phones and not paying attention, dialing in there ipods etc and what do you have, accidents. As 90% of winter accidents are caused by to excess speed. No matter how careful you are, the other guy out there has to take responsibility also.
    Jeff,06,V6,4x4,SR5, Radiant Red

20. Dec 3, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    TuRDTACO

Member:
    joliet, il
    Vehicle:
    hey buddy, don't be hatin'. i defy my age in knowledge and wisdom, much like a community elder

Products Discussed in

To Top