1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Electric cooling fan

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by extremachn1, Oct 4, 2011.

?

What should I do for my cooling options???

Poll closed Nov 3, 2011.
  1. Get a new stock fan shroud at $300 and install myself!

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Get a Flex-a-lite electric fan kit at $350 and install myself!

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. Oct 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Hey guys, I know I posted this in the performance section as well but this section gets WAY more views and I need some info sooner than later.

I have been reading through all of the electric cooling fan threads over the past week. There is a lot of people who have used them other type vehicles in the past and who have talked about the pluses and minuses but I need someone who has actually used one on their 2nd gen Taco and who tows and 4 wheels their truck pretty hard.

Long story short, somehow my fan shroud busted and the bottom just shredded. My fan is fine but the shroud just flops around and it seems like it dosent cool as effectively now. My temp tends to go up substantially compared to what it used to (185-195 before 195-210 now). I am boosted with an under drive pulley so its possible that now with the busted shroud my cooling just cant keep up. I want to know how well the electric fan hold up 4 wheeling and towing under load. Also, I have heard the flex-a-lite kit does not cover the entire radiator, is this true? Has anyone modified a differant kit to work on our truck, preferably a double fan kit?

A new fan shroud from Toyota would run almost $300 before taxes and the flex-a-lite kit is about $350. If the kit does better cooling and holds up under load than that is the way I might go.

Like I said, pics and opinions of people that have them would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Oct 4, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    Zombie

Zombie I miss my Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 double cab (Sold)
    I think I hear crickets chirping Charles.

3. Oct 5, 2011 at 12:41 AM
    BMOC

BMOC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paden
    Phoenix, AZ
  4. Oct 5, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    Would like to know, too, about the electric fan. Here with winters we get, an electric fan equipped engine warms up faster than with this clutch fan.

5. Oct 5, 2011 at 3:07 AM
    MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt Supercharged Mileage Master

Member:
    I had one in my explorer before my tacoma. I switched because of the mileage and it was the single best thing I did. I also towed a few times with it and I was constantly stuck in the Chicagoland traffic jams.

The only downside is the temps were more erratic. It would build up to a certain temp, the fan kicks on, it cools down and shuts off, and then the temps started up again. It also sounded like a jet engine starting up, but that didn't bother me.

Good luck, I know there is a kit out there and I am considering it myself after the success I have had.

6. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:08 AM
    Wallygater

Wallygater Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Softopper, All-pro bolt-on sliders, Tom Wood's drive shaft, Goodyear 235/85/16 Dura-trac's, SG, USA-Spec I-pod adaptor, Amsoil in everything
  7. Oct 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM
    griffin407c

griffin407c Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCLB MGM 4x4 Sport w/Entune
    OME 885s on Bilstein 5100s set at 0 with 1/2" plate spacers. OME Dakars with Bilstein 5100 Extended Length Shocks. 16" Pro Comp 7032 wheels wrapped with 285/75-16 Duratracs
    i would love to see more detailed info/write-up on this.

8. Oct 5, 2011 at 10:37 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    I don't have one on my Tacoma but I had one on my XJ. It worked really well and I also had the ability to turn the fan off when needed(water). The only thing I wish I had done was wire it into the factory thermostat control sensor. Customer service is great.

9. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    sytfu510

sytfu510 Instagram: tacoma510

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab Long Bed TRD Sport
    Dirt Designs LT kit front and 3 link kit rear SCS Wheels BAMF rack, bumper ,sliders
    I've been thinking about doing this as well. Do a write-up!

10. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:19 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    I have the dual fan setup from flex a lite, on a 1st Gen, and I love it. Its setup with the temp probe, and AC switch... I also installed a Manual Cut-Off for water crossings.

It make a difference, as it takes some Load off of the Engine.

11. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM
    09taco4x4

09taco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    Valant cold air intake kit Borla catback exhaust 6" Pro Comp Stage 1 Walker Evans 2.5's w/ TSB spring and add-a-leaf Light racing upper a-arms 285/70/R17 Dynapro ATM tires 17x9 XD wheels
    I ran a Flex-A-Lite electric fan on my 2004 first gen for 5 years (about 60K miles) with not one problem from the control box or fan. The kit came with double fans too which I liked and it coverd almost the entire radiator.

I ran a Flex-A-Lite electric fan on my current truck for about 20K miles. See below for concerns/problems/upgrades:

1. I bought mine with the electronic control box so it came with the temperature sensor probe that you insert into the radiator which I dont care for but oh well (the first gen kit did too). This kit came with only one large fan. After installing I noticed that the fan didnt cover near as much of the radiator as on the first gen kit. I never had any problems with over heating or anything. The circuit board in the new electonic box was poorer quality than the one in the first gen too.
    2. First problem I had was, take a guess..........the control box went out one day because the terminal for the main power on the board melted from the electrical current. I had 10 gauge wire for power and ground so wire size was not the problem either. I sent the control box and Flex-A-Lite shipped me a new one but this one was different. It was a control box that had the terminals and circuit board potted in a plastic box. Much better quality or so I thought!! I didnt know this was an available option from Flex-A-Lite at the time. I ran this for a while then it burnt up too. I told myself screw this I am going the tried and true route so I installed a 30 amp relay and supplied it with an ignition source. Fan is on when the ignition is on, just how it needs to be anyway. This worked great.
    3. Second problem I had was at about 20K miles when the fan stopped wotking one day again. I changed the fuse and it blew immediately so I checked all the wiring and it was good. Unhooked the fan, installed new fuse and it didnt blow. HMMMMMMMMMM..........took another look at the fan and the gasket that surrounds the fan shroud where it presses against the radiator had come unglued and fell into the fan blades which then got wrapped around the electric motor shaft. This burned the electric motor up.
    4. I was at the end of my patience at this point so I removed the entire electric fan and went back to stock.
    5. If you buy one get it without the control box and install a simple 30 amp relay wired to activate with an ignition source. Second, remove the fan shroud gasket that comes with the kit and go buy one from any home improvement store.
    6. As far as power gains/fuel mileage gains, I noticed a little difference in power but not much and fuel mileage didnt change any.
    My opinion is that Flex-A-Lite needs to take notes from the first gen kit and mimic it.

I still have the whole kit for the second gen I will sell at really, really cheap price if you're interested. Just need to get a gasket and new fan motor (not sure how much the new fan motor cost though).

12. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:50 AM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    yeah and so do your head lights and Amps for Subs.. It does not run when driving down the Rd. only when im sitting still for a long period. or running the AC. also if you are worried about power demands get a Mean Green alt... they put out about 200AMPS

13. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    iroc409

iroc409 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    A red one
    I've thought about the electric fan, but I think it's more work than I want to go to.

Has anyone looked into an aftermarket fan-- i.e. a flex fan? I wonder if there is a better or more efficient style out there that would work better, bolted to the existing clutch?

14. Oct 5, 2011 at 12:05 PM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:

how do you figure.. the plastic fan attached to the water pump in Fact add physical Load to the Engine. When you remove that you gain a few HP.
    Adding the electric fan, yes does add some electrical load, but that does not increase the Physical Load on the Engine. now I do know on some newer enginges when the electrical load gets to a certain point it will automatically bump up the RPMs. but again that would only be at Idle.

15. Oct 5, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:

I have to Disagree.
    I gained a noticeable throttle response, and at least a 3mpg in daily driving... If it added LOAD like your saying it should decrease my RPMs at idle, which it does not..

16. Oct 5, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    PrezidentRedz

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    Im just going on my own personal experience.
    For EX, my Old truck I ran 6, 300k Offroad lights, and those would cause the RPMs to drop prob about 150 or so. that being said I wouldn't really use them at Idle either.

but I think the LOAD diff between the Plastic fan on the clutch and elec is huge.. Thats just my 2 cents!

17. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    I am an electrical engineer and he is correct. There is increased drag from the alternator with an electric fan due to the increased demand. As the demand increases the electrical field generated increases which increases the resistance the alternator is put under. Thats the really REALLY simple explination... BUT that being said, the increased alternator load I feel will still be significantly less then the amount of power freed up by removing the fan and fan clutch. So while there is an increase in resistance from the alternator it is offset by the freeing of more power with removal of the fan...

Get it, got it, good. That aside, I dont care about the power. I am supercharged so it wont really affect me much at all.

18. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I think I have a hybrid solution...

Since I am not doing this for power or milage but rather for cooling while 4 wheeling and under heavy load boosted applications I am going to replace the fan shroud and keep the mechanical fan and clutch. I found a shroud for $100 and I should be able to install it myself. That will take care of the every day driving. Then I am going to install 2 smaller pusher fans on the front of my intercooler/condesor/radiator stack. These fans will be hooked to a manual switch that can be turned on in high load situations where normal cooling isnt good enough. I.E. 4 wheeling in arizona in the middle of summer or towing my boat through the mountains or something that causes my engine to run hot. That should provide enough additional cooling and give a back up to each other that if I lose one or the other I am not stranded.

19. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:27 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I didn't notice any difference in AC effectiveness with my elec fan.....

20. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Wow, I've had absolutely no problems with mine in the 2+ years it's been on. I did upgrade the controller to a 2-stage unit last year, but that's just cuz I wanted a slow start at lower temps.

Products Discussed in

To Top