1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replace Front or Rear Bumper First? Which one?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomtn, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Oct 5, 2011 at 1:03 AM
    tacomtn

tacomtn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    So rear bumpers are a bit cheaper to replace but which do you feel is more important when it comes to off-roading? I'd guess the front since it's the one that'll help you make it up that challenging rock. The "leading edge" so to speak. But I'm an offroad newbie so I'm looking to you boys with experience.

Anyone?

2. Oct 5, 2011 at 1:54 AM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    for off roading I would do the front first.

3. Oct 5, 2011 at 7:12 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Front.

And I agree with PSU, my front and rear were the same price retail (not necessarily the price I paid though :D)

4. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:25 AM
    blacktaco21

blacktaco21 Crunchy Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    AR
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 6" 325/65R18
    Fabtech 6" Baja Tire Carrier Limo Tint 4.88 Gears Detroit Locker Rear ARB Locker up front Train Horns Pioneer DVD Double Din JL Audio 12w3v3 325/65R18 Baja MTZs 18x10 Classic Locks Powder Coated Flat Black
    Do you drive in reverse more or drive.. just a thought

5. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
  6. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    Max-4_Yota

Max-4_Yota The Welfare Cadilac

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen Tacoma
    Chicken lights, chrome and smoke tunes.
    Front - might crush bedside

Rear - might rip off front bumper

7. Oct 5, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    penguins_cc

penguins_cc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Bellevue, WA
    Vehicle:
    Timberland Mica Limo!
    Perkins Performance Sliders, Warn 9000, Brute Force Fab front & rear bumper, OME/Dakar lift, full ATO skids and hi-lift mount, satoshi, Wet Okoles, illuminated 4x4 switch, Diff Breather.
    I was thinking about this as well. I was leaning toward getting the rear bumper first since I seem to scrape the rear once in a while but haven't yet put anything in contact with my front. I am also a newbie though and I'm interested to what the more experienced members have to say.

Before I began worrying about the bumpers, I personally ordered sliders first. Do you have any other armor already or is the bumper your first piece of the puzzle?

8. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    The rear for sure. The front offeres decent clearance while the rear is terrible. I have personally seen a truck with skids, sliders and a rear bumper go through some serious trails with no damage.
    I will agree that the front looks cooler but feel the rear is more functional.

9. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    lynyrd3

lynyrd3 STRENGTH DETERMINATION MERCILESS FOREVER

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Central Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    2008 SR5 AC SUPER WHITE V6 4x4 AT / 2020 RAV4 XLE
    Bilstein 6112s top setting ,Total Chaos UCAs ,1/4" top plate spacer driver side ,SS extended brake lines ,Old Man Emu Medium Duty Dakar leaf springs with AAL,OME carrier bearing shim , Bilstein 5125s for 2-3” of lift in rear ,Timbren SES bump stops , SS extended brake lines rear , Toytec dif drop , Hayden high performance transmission fluid cooler,aFe pro dry air filter .Baja amber driving combo ditch lights , Devil horns by Andres ,Weathertecs floor protector, American Racing wheels Baja 17x8,4.5 BS , 285/70 Falken Wildpeaks AT/3W .Body Armor rear bumper . Extra D rings in bed ,Blue sea fuse block and 100amp breaker ,HomerTaco custom grill in Super White , TRD radiator cap ,Birddawg Industries rear view mirror riser bracket ,Coverking NeoSupreme Mossy Oak seat covers , Paranoid Fabrications fuse /relay holder Painted pinch weld.Shorty antenna ,HVAC knob mod ,LED dome and map lights , Tri Fold bed cover ,UltraGauge ,Morimoto XB LED fog lights ,Energy Suspension poly body bushings and sway bar bushings ! Geartech Customs splash guards ,Salex center console organizer . Mobtown tailgate cap ,tailgate anti theft mod .X-Mat sound deadening/insulation cab floor . Mobtown weld on rock sliders 0* with kickout Raptor lined . ,NEW frame courtesy of Toyota !
    I am saving for rear bumper and sliders now . :burnrubber:

10. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    YFZ450MOE

YFZ450MOE When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Auburn, WA / Roseburg, OR
    Vehicle:
    09 white DCSB TRD (it's getting there)
    Icon Extended Travel 2.5" Coil Overs All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit Bilstien Rear Shocks Fabtech Add-a-Leaf Icon Upper Control Arms All-Pro Rear Bumper w/ Wrap Arounds & Hitch with custom LED plate light BHLM and Morimoto III D2S retrofit Satoshi Grill 2 Hella Black Magics behind Grill Bestop Supertop BAMF sliders

The bedside you would have to pay to replace, not cheap.

The front you just say EFF it and buy your front bumper!

Its a win when you break stuff, cuz then you have to buy it! I'm waiting for someone to take a sledge to my bumpers. I'm to cheap right now and need an excuse!

11. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM
    unccpathfinder

unccpathfinder Member

Member:
    Sparkle City, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5, Double Cab, v6, 6 sp MT
    IMHO I would do front...but then again it's all a matter of what wheeling you are planning on doing...what look are you going for etc and your fabrication skills/resources...this was my situation with my trail truck, I put trailgear bumpers on my nissan b/c it was under $1000 to get front and rear.

You doing a tube bumper or "ARB style" bumper? I'm not big in the 2nd get community for aftermarket parts as it will be a long time before I do any major modifications to my taco.

One thing to know with offroading is no matter how much armor you have you WILL get trail damage at some point and time...i kept my truck "clean" for 6 years of light wheeling and then I took a tree down the passenger side

I would say I wheel moderately...can be hard on my stuff at times but I did front first for a winch and for protection of my radiator...the rear came about 6 months later b/c i needed my spare out of the cabin but this was the first day out with the new bumper in a very soupy Gulches OHV where i wanted to pull test the winch

youtube.com/watch?v=VNgbQDjG_UA

and ~5 mins later right before I broke my winch and hooked 2 Heeps to me to get me up...then watched a guy almost roll his wrangler before giving up

th_DSCN6137_fe038a4e0a79fba3a50a26d2dd0dd78949a5cd90.jpg

th_DSCN6143_5a7620ab98d8df914b22d251a0867c414d10c95f.jpg

and the jeep if anyone is interested...he got the 2 dirvers side in the air right after this picture http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/...es 12-31-10/?action=view&current=DSCN6147.jpg

I chopped and flipped the corner guards on the TG bumper for additional protection...just need to complete some competition cuts on the rear quarter panels to get the body above my armor

th_DSCN6581_bcb1077ad80794f274f2160ddb9dfae7944cb443.jpg

determine what you want to do with it and make your decisions based off of that...I did lift, rear locker, sliders, front bumper, rear bumper and next is SAS...I probably should have started SAS then armor/bumpers and lockers but live and learn

12. Oct 5, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    Rebel Taco 22

Rebel Taco 22 mall crawler

Member:
    I agree with people who have said rear. I used to hit my rear bumper/hitch a hell of a lot more than my front bumper. It just makes sense to do a rear bumper first since thats what your hitting all the time.

13. Oct 6, 2011 at 12:05 AM
    tacomtn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Good points boys. Man, in looking at prices for All Pro's stuff, for example, the friggin rear bumper set up is more bank than the front!!! With their rear bumper, you have to buy their hitch since the factory one needs to be removed. Then you'll want wrap-arounds to go with it while you're at it. Now we're at $900!!! YIKES!!! That's $260 more than the front at their GB price.

I'll pass for now. I've only made like 5 payments on the truck. I still gotta put food on the table too.

14. Oct 6, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Definatly the rear firt. I have only lightly scraped my front, but my rear bumper has been bent up on both side, so I guess I can say my rear smiles:D and my bedside have been bent up a little also.

15. Oct 6, 2011 at 12:44 AM
    tacomtn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    What other brands of plate rear bumpers would you boys recommend that isn't as expensive as the All Pro and maybe as clean?

16. Oct 6, 2011 at 12:47 AM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    idk about price, but Having expeirence with all-pro's product (both front plate designs and rear plate bumpers for 2gen tacos) I would go: CBI, Relentless, ATO, or Demello.

17. Oct 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    I would agree that the rear bumper is more functional for clearance on our trucks. At least that was my experience on my first trip to moab this summer. The rear bumper came back scraped on both sides and dented on one, while the front bumper was only lightly scraped on one corner. I will be going with a rear replacement first now.

Products Discussed in

To Top