1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

bed doesnt line up with cab

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 99YOTA412, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    99YOTA412

99YOTA412 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    layton
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Offroad, Bilstein 5100 shocks
    my bed doesnt line up with the cab it looks like where the bed meets the cab is higher than the back of the bed..is it just my body lift or is that something that can be fixed?

0628111522.jpg

2. Oct 6, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    If you have a body lift, I would start there.

3. Oct 6, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    45acp

45acp Paint me back in Wyoming again...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Boring, Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    1981 Long bed 4x4
    +1, probably the body lift. Has it ever been in an accident? How bad is the frame rust?

4. Oct 7, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    That looks like a bent rear frame to me NOT a body lift. You can see the difference in the gap between the cab/bed being much narrower at the bottom of the bed and wider at the top.

5. Oct 7, 2011 at 10:52 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    maybe the spacers for the bl are taller on the front of the bed than the rear :notsure:

6. Oct 7, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    A pic of the side of truck streight on insted of at an angle would help. Could be body lift or could be frame

7. Oct 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    yeah a direct side picture please

8. Oct 8, 2011 at 8:37 AM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    If the frame bent I would think it would bend the other way making the gap between the bed and cab wider at the bottom, I doubt the frame is bad here.

9. Oct 10, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    Nope. Look here. I still say this looks like a bent frame.

10. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    very interesting. How does one bend a frame where you say it's bent? loads place force upward at the rear axle, you suggest it was applied downward, while upward forces were working forward of the rear axle. I am not saying I could not manufacture those conditions (frame rack in a body shop), I just don't know how you would do it and not realize it happened. Maybe twisting when offroading? Is the gap on both sides? I am puzzled.

11. Oct 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    I would wonder if the bed got tweaked up on that side a bit somehow. I can see tire marks where it bottomed out and contacted the bed. It's just a strange place for the frame to bend, especially in the direction you suggest.

12. Oct 11, 2011 at 10:04 AM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser

It's a combination of things. First off, the rear frame sections on the Tacomas are C Channels and not fully boxed. C channel frame is weaker than a fully boxed frame. Secondly, depending on where you live and other factors RUST can be a factor as we all know that the Tacoma frames are known for rust issues that will weaken the frame. Thirdly, the location of the rear shocks (tops of the rear shocks being mounting in opposing directions). Many times the bent frame will happen on the passenger side first where the upper shock mount is toward the front of the truck. This mounting location is very close to where the frame changes from a boxed center section to the C channel rear section. There is a substantial amount of force applied to the frame through the suspension and particularly the shock at this location. When you add heavy loads consistently in the bed of the truck or loads that are biased toward the rear of the truck it creates a cantilever effect on the frame and the point of the most leverage occurs right at the point of the frame where that upper shock mount is which also happens to be a weaker point of the frame because of the C Channel construction.

Those bed loads pushing down behind that leverage pivot point coupled with the forces of the shock location can cause the frame to deform outward and buckle along the bottom of the frame near that same location.

This is precisely the reason why there are many aftermarket kits available to add reinforcement plates to the outside of the rear frame, and also other kits to fully box the rear frame. There are other reasons beyond frame strength for shock relocation kits but this is also one reason why some choose to relocate their rear shocks as well.

13. Oct 11, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    Leggo

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    ok, good answer, Like I said, I could make it happen, just don't think it would happen without you realizing it.

14. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:33 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    If the box isn't loose near the cab where it mounts to the frame( from the body lift install ) it should be evident just by looking at the frame rails looking for a kink in the rail if not take it to a frame shop they can tie the truck to a frame machine and straighten it.

Products Discussed in

To Top