1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tie Down Cleats

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by elwood blues, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Oct 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    elwood blues

elwood blues [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    4 Cyl
    I have a 2010 Tacoma. I purchased a GemTop one piece tonneau-bed cover (metal). This required removing the adjustable cleats/tie downs that sit in the rails at the top of the bed walls. The rails are now occupied with metal bars that hold and keep the cover aligned over the bed.

Needless to say, I am unable to us the cleats as there is no place to mount them. My question is; does anyone sell an after-market cleat that can be mounted over the bar that is blocking the rail? Thanks for any info.

2. Oct 2, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    1. Does the bar that is now slid into your rail take up the whole rail or just a couple of places?

2. Is there clearance to still use the bed cleats with the cover?

There are recesses in the rail that let you put your cleats back in. My ARE Shell connected to my rail system in 4 places by sliding a 2 bars per side to attach the shell. Afterwards I snapped the cleats in where the recesses were. You can feel the indentations in the rail.

If it is a longer bar filling the rail or no clearance, you could add the d-ring mod to your bed bolts. That gives you tie down points throughout the bed. Anything else attached to the side needs to be re-inforced from what I read here due to the composite nature of the bed.

I do not know if this helps, maybe someone else has a similiar setup and chime in.

3. Oct 2, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    NetDep

NetDep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southern Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma Off Road MGM
  4. Oct 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    elwood blues

elwood blues [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    4 Cyl
    Thanks for the info Simon. There is NO spaces in my rails for the cleats. I even contacted GemTop, to no avail. The D-ring option sounds like my best bet. Thanks again!

5. Oct 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    elwood blues

elwood blues [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    4 Cyl
    Guys, After some thought this is the Solution, that I used--

I installed 5/16"x3-1/4" Eye Bolts W/Nut in the rail connections at the midway and cab locations of the rail (using the existing Washers) and a Nut at the base of the Eye Bolt.
    For the connections at the tail gate locations I installed stainless steel chains (3 links long each side), using the existing bolts.
    All six areas now have a place to connect a rope, cable, or bungee cord and none of the modifications interfere with the operation of the cover.:)

IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg

6. Oct 9, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  7. Oct 11, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    elwood blues

elwood blues [OP] Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    4 Cyl

Products Discussed in

To Top