1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Ideas for attaching tow shackles to front end.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brs127s, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Oct 8, 2011 at 11:34 PM
    brs127s

brs127s [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    I need some ideas. I have a brush guard and factory skid plates on my D-cab. The brush guard uses the two bolts that go up through the bottom of the frame for the tow hook on the passenger side and through the frame on the driver side. The problem is, on the driver side, one of the nuts that is welded inside the frame came loose. A buddy helped me drill and tap the frame to accept a bigger bolt. This is fine for my current set up, but I would like to make and attach some tow shackles to the frame. Everything I have seen online uses the bolts I am currently using. I am afraid of using them now, as the bolt that is threaded through the frame doesn't have enough threads to hold a tow shackle. Has anyone ran into this problem before?

I have considered welding some 1/4" thick angle iron to the frame, drill it, and tap the holes. This is give me some good threads. What other options are there?

2. Oct 10, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    TRD Headers, Aero Turbine AT2525XL Deckplate Mod, TRD tranny cooler, King Coilovers, LR UCAs, Alcan 5 Leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear bumper.
    bump--anyone?

3. Oct 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Get rid of the damage multiplier-i mean brush guard- and get an offroad bumper meant for winching/recovery??

4. Oct 10, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    Even with an off-road bumper, don't they bolt to the frame in the same locations I am having issues with?

As for the brush guard, it may be a damage multiplier, but it has prevented my truck from being totaled when hitting deer. I realize it isn't ideal for wheeling/recovery, but it (I should say they, as I am on guard #3) has served its purpose.

5. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:24 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    This.

Get rid of the flimsy piece of metal and get some real protection (Elite or ARB are my favourite). You'll end up paying less in the end if you get in an accident.

You can also use them for recovery (or being recovered...hah) and not worry about endangering your truck. I have 2 4T shackles on my ARB and I have used them countless times in the past 2 years.

Sorry we can't be helpful in the way you're asking...but a lot of TW members really care about their trucks and therefore don't skimp on costs when it comes to modifications (see: Body Lifts, Spacers, etc).

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    This ^^^ This VVV :cool:

[​IMG]

7. Oct 10, 2011 at 10:47 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    ^^^ seconded! I went from a brush guard to this.
    PA081584_81123ba3362ff2977f74001f74a163f101f9efd2.jpg

BassAckwards likes this.
  8. Oct 11, 2011 at 6:43 AM
    brs127s

Member:
    O'Fallon, MO
    Vehicle:
    04 D-Cab 4x4 Limited TRD
    Okay guys, I understand an aftermarket bumper is the best route to go. My problem is knowing if I can mount one up due to issues with factory attach points.

I was looking at the instructions for ARB and Elite, but would like someone to verify what I read. If I read it right, you remove the crush cans from the front of the frame and replace them with a bracket from ARB (Elite threads a bolt where the crush cans were). What do you do with the existing holes/welded nuts on the underside of the frame? I am referring to the 2 bolts on each side of the underside of the frame. On the right side, they bolt the factory tow hook to the frame. The left side does not have anything, and uses shorter bolts.

This is where I have a problem. One of those nuts broke loose inside the frame and we just threaded the frame hole itself. If I have to reuse the threaded frame hole, it is not a good attach point for anything, including an aftermarket bumper. If I need to attach to these bolts, would I be better off drilling through the top side of the frame and running bolts all the way through the frame, or should I just weld some thick steel to the bottom side of the frame and thread it?

9. Oct 11, 2011 at 7:18 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    For the Elite bumper those are more mounting points. So you would end up with 5 on each side. If just one bolt is screwed up i doubt it'll be a problem.

10. Oct 11, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    CalgaryRider

CalgaryRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shayne
    Cranbrook, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab SR5
    2009 Tacoma SR5 Too many to list, but its a SR5 with a TRD Sport Heart
    I went from this:
    IMG-20110609-00035_71cddac5a298401e59112e0263758278bee1a80b.jpg

to this!
    IMG-20110720-00134_0045b51014123ed96ac1edf3a2f665eddd754e85.jpg

Honestly on a brush guard there are no good mounting points, the metal is flimsy, and bends or breaks (yes they might help occasionally on the trail but go for a steel bumper)

The only real anchor point on the front is the tow loop on the driver side. The tie down on the passenger side of the frame is not designed for any type of tugging.

For bumpers it comes down to what your personal preference is, look around, find what you like and then add it to the truck!

11. Oct 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
  12. Oct 11, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    My old truck had that issue too when I went to install my ARB bar. The nut on one side inside the frame broke loose. I just cut the frame end off to get to it and welded the shit out of it and it was all good. So that is one way to get it to work.

13. Oct 11, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    austinstaco

austinstaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    to many
    I welded these 15000 lb d-rings from attwoods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top