1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Messed it up...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stevomac59, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2009 at 9:25 AM
    stevomac59

stevomac59 [OP] Is mod CraZy...

Member:
    Laredo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD
    3'' lift, custom stereo deck, 33'' toyo Mt tires, 17'' MotoMetal Rims, 20%Tinted front Windows, 5% Rear Windows, Blacked out Grille Surround, Bull Bar, HID Head and Fog lights, KC Daylighters, BHLM, Strobe Lights, Sockmonkey TRD 3rd BreakLight decal, 12'' MTX Thunder Subwoofer, 1000Watt Planet Audio Amplifier, Flowmaster Muffler Xhaust S40
    I hired a guy to install a new stereo system in my truck (07)...he ended up cutting the stock stereo harness in the truck....he never finished so I took it to a friend who know's about this stuff, he said that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you cut the stock harness connected to the truck...is this replaceable? BTW, Im making that guy pay for the damages!

Thanks,

Stevomac59

2. Feb 11, 2009 at 9:38 AM
    kristopherl

kristopherl AKA: Jake the Wolf

Member:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport LB. Foglight
    Cup holder LEDs, Black Max Tonau, BHL Mod, N-Fab side steps
    I believe you can buy the complete wiring system but it will be a pain in the ass to replace and a lot of interior parts will have to be pulled.

3. Feb 11, 2009 at 9:44 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    Tough to know when to take it to a pro and when not to. I have always done my own stereo installs, learned a lto of stuff the hard way. Sometimes you just "get 'er done" & pay later.
    You should be able to bare the wires & solder more wire to them to lengthen then replace the wire harness (use the shrinkable wire insulation to cover solder). You will find another harness in the junk yard.
    Sorry to hear.

4. Feb 11, 2009 at 10:15 AM
    stevomac59

Member:
    Laredo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD
    3'' lift, custom stereo deck, 33'' toyo Mt tires, 17'' MotoMetal Rims, 20%Tinted front Windows, 5% Rear Windows, Blacked out Grille Surround, Bull Bar, HID Head and Fog lights, KC Daylighters, BHLM, Strobe Lights, Sockmonkey TRD 3rd BreakLight decal, 12'' MTX Thunder Subwoofer, 1000Watt Planet Audio Amplifier, Flowmaster Muffler Xhaust S40
    Thanks guys...Im gonna take it to a local audio shop and see what they can do...I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Stevomac59

5. Feb 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Steve if you know how to soldier, it is not a hard fix. You'll just have to strip the end of where that moron cut and solder a new (or the old one) harness back on. Ju match the color of the wires and thats it!

6. Feb 11, 2009 at 10:25 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    Ed Zackery!

7. Feb 11, 2009 at 10:28 AM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    ya the only problem i see is you have to soldier it inside of your truck so you'd need an iron that could reach. trust me it is not difficult to do!

8. Feb 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not difficult UNLESS you don't have wire, solding iron/gun, solder, shrink tubing, etc. You could make things worse. Once the wires are bared, twist them together before you solder them.
    I'm assuming that you've never soldered b4. (I need an ass-face icon here, in case I made an ass out of myself)

9. Feb 11, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Sorry to hear about that. I am thankful to have an old brother who knows all about car audio. I don't trust audio "professionals" to do work on my truck. Only my brother.

10. Feb 11, 2009 at 10:57 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    Why not just use some butt splices instead of soldering if it's difficult to get in there and solder?

11. Feb 11, 2009 at 11:00 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Ever crimped a butt connector only realizing l8r that the wire slipped out? I just thought that soldering would be more permanent.

12. Feb 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM
    TacoCo

TacoCo Aspiring wrench monkey

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road DC V6 Magnetic Gray
    Snugtop XV Shell, Yakima Rack, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed, Michelin AT2's, Partially Debadged, HID conversion, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Rear leaf spring TSB, Foglights always on Mod, URD Short Throw Shifter, Toytec Coilovers on the way!
    I guess that's a possibility. I just used some butt splices to connect the harness adapter to my wife's new stereo harness in her car, and it was pretty painless.

13. Feb 11, 2009 at 11:03 AM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    If it was a professional that did this to your truck, you need to pass on that info so nobody else hires this clown for a stereo install. If you're going to make him pay for the repairs, take it to the dealer and get an estimate. Get it fixed the right way, the 1st time. Good luck.

14. Feb 11, 2009 at 12:56 PM
    stevomac59

Member:
    Laredo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD
    Thanks for all the input! The guy who did it WAS a pro...so now im hesitant of hiring another one to do the job...my uncle knows how to do all this "soldering" stuff, so I might just let him do it; i've seen his work before, and it's pretty good and durable.

stevomac59

15. Feb 12, 2009 at 4:57 AM
    jeremy_283

jeremy_283 Super Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad Access Cab 4x4 Auto 4.0L
    Hella Rallye 4000 Cornering Lights PIAA 510 Fog Lights All Pro Front Bumper All Pro Rear Bumper All Pro Transfer Case Skid All Pro IFS Skid All Pro Rock Sliders All Pro High Clearance Hitch OME Dakar Leaf Springs OME Rear Shocks OME Front Shocks OME 885 Front Coils Wet Okole Seat Covers WeatherTech Floor Liners Sony Head Unit JL XD600/1 Amp 2 JL Audio 10” Subwoofers Custom Subwoofer Enclosure Kenwood Front Speakers Sony Rear Speakers Sound Deadening Mats LED Interior Lighting Pop N’ Lock Tailgate Lock Viper Alarm System Extra D-Rings In Truck Bed Maglite Seat Mount Disable Seatbelt Chime Rear Differential Breather Relocation Hi-Lift Bed Mount Flexible Front Mud Flaps 110v Inverter Always At 400w ABS Kill Switch Locking Center Console Removed Sway Bar
    Ummm, I had to cut mine..... go to *********.com ....... u have to cut the stock harness to install a head unit

16. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:46 AM
    Snyperx

Snyperx Seniore Marcos

Member:

HUH!?!?! No, you absolutely do not need to cut the factory harness to install a new head unit. I ALWAYS do my own installs. If I mess it up I know who to blame. When I installed my head unit, as well as all the other head units in other vehicles, I bought a wiring harness that plugs directly into the factory harness. The only soldering/crimping I did was to the head unit wire harness and the one I purchased that plugs directly to the factory harness. I didn't have to touch any wires in the truck.

The harness that connects to the head unit looks like this:

[​IMG]

Here is a direct link: http://www.scosche.com/scosche.caraudio.new/?applicationGuideID=13352%0D%0A&make=TOYOTA&year=2005&model=TACOMA

17. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    When I read your post I had that terrible feeling go through me, like when I am sitting in the dentist chair and he is grinding away with his drill and the novacaine is wearing off! I hope he did not cut the wires to far back. Thats going to make it a bitch to fix. I think most radio company's have wire harnesses that you can hook up pretty easy. I know my head unit had one that adapted to my trucks wiring. Good luck!

18. Feb 12, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    stevomac59

Member:
    Laredo, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD
    Well here's the update:
    Luckily the guy cut the snaps with at least an inch of wire attached to them (so they still can solder them together). It's going to come out to 50 bucks for the fix, and an additional 7 bucks for the Tacoma harness (in order to connect to the stereo harness). Im just lucky that they did not have to do TOO many "fixes" to the truck. Hopefully I will have my system up and running by saturday afternoon.

Thanks for everything!

stevomac59

19. Feb 12, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    jonny

jonny Betty White Edition Heep ZJ

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    :mad:
    some people. that guy should have known better.lol
    cut your stock harness?
    $5 aftermarket wire harness and its also color coded, you could have installed the stereo yourself. :D
    hope everything worked out for you man

20. Feb 12, 2009 at 10:34 AM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    x2, I've installed a bunch of stereos, NO NEED to cut that shit, always buy a harness! :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top