1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Good camping recipes...

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by HammerHead, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Oct 28, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    HammerHead

HammerHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD OffRoad PreRunner SR5 DC
    In 1.5 weeks (yes, I'm counting down), I'm going on my annual camping trip with some college buddies of mine. Wondering if any of you can throw some good, tried and true, recipes my way following these specifics:

1) Can keep for a few days before cooking. We're going up on a Thurs, and I'm doing Sat. dinah.
    2) Can't be a chili. Another camping buddy is doing that for Fri dinah.
    3) Got to be easy enough for a typical non-cooker to manage. And not a whole hellava alot of prep because we'll likely be three sheets to the wind by Saturday:rasta:
    4) Won't taste like dog squeeze.
    5) Enough to satisfy 10 growing boys.:)

Any thoughts or ideas? I usually have breakfast in which I'm pretty proficient at, but this year we changed it up.:eek:

Thanks in advance!!

Jake

2. Oct 28, 2011 at 3:57 PM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    These things are pretty damn good for camping food. Just don't trust their serving sizes. If it says it feeds two, it only feeds one.

Mountain House

3. Oct 28, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    cant go wrong with some steaks, potatoe's wraped in tin foil, and some corn in tin foil right in the fire

4. Oct 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I bring MRE's because I'm a lazy motherfucker.

hot dogs and steaks.

5. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Why not buy a cast iron skillet and dutch oven, you will be able to do anything you want with those tools. Both of which you can throw right into the fire and the dutch oven may even have a tri fold stand to cook over campfire. Any outdoor stores will have these in stock. They may be a bit pricey but they will last for ever. When you go to a site like Gander Mt I am pretty sure they will have recipes. Sorry I dont have recipes off the top of my head. I could find my southern style beans with cornbread cooked witha dutch oven.....

6. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Seems like meat is out of the question...unless you have a way to keep it cold.

Deep fried turkey is super nom nom.

7. Oct 28, 2011 at 7:21 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    ^^^ gotta have a cooler for more then beer!!!!:eek:

8. Oct 29, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    Maticuno

Maticuno Resident Pine Swine

Member:
    California High Deserts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Suburban 2500
    JBA Shorty Headers, Flowmaster FlowFX Sing/Dual Exhaust
    X2

That's why I recommend the Mountain House camping meals. IMHO, better flavor than MRE's, and just as easy to cook. Just dump boiling water in the pouch, wait two minutes, and eat right out of the pouch. Maybe bring some salt and pepper (or Tapatio) to season to your tastes.

9. Oct 31, 2011 at 12:53 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    gross. i wouldnt touch a backpacking meal if i were camping out of a truck. i ate MH meals for 6 days on top of a mountian. the last bite, i almost vomited. they all have a crazy aftertaste. their benefit is lightweight and low fuel to cook.

OP. marinate some skirt steak. salt, pepper, cumin, lemon juice..shot of tequila.

grill it and slice it thin against the grain. serve it with tortillas and sour cream, and salsa. Fajitas!!

i have the same perdicament..i leave the 10th. i am going to make the fajitas, some stew, some chili..and lots and lots of pasta. there will be only two of us. rock climbing and taking breaks from our wives.

10. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:20 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Well, you'll need a cooler to keep your meat cold. But I've done this a couple times with the Boy Scouts - if they can manage it you ought to be able to. This recipe served 14 people: 3 adults and 11 scouts. For 10 college age hungry dudes, I'd probably increase the recipe a bit. The easiest way would be to go to two full pounds of rice, (instead of a pound and a half) since you'll need to buy two pounds anyway, and upsize the amount of broth proportionally. Beginner cooks tend to grab "minute rice" thinking it's the same thing. It's not. You'll regret it.

Outside Louisiana, you pretty much can't get Tasso. Just add a pound of chicken or sausage so the total weight of meat is the same. The more flavorful sausage you get, the better the recipe will be. "Jimmy Dean Breakfast" is pretty bland stuff.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...icken-and-sausage-jambalaya-recipe/index.html

One word: With that big a recipe and a big castiron dutch oven, you're going to be hard pressed to get enough heat into it to brown the meat. I could do it with a typical camp stove when I downsized the recipe for my son and myself. But for an entire patrol/big group, you need something like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camp...=SBC;MMcat104794380;cat104754780;cat104246280

(If the link doesn't work google up "Camp Chef Universal Output Single Burner"

11. Oct 31, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Also, if you want minimum prep time out in the field, you can cut up all the meat, and chop up the onions, at home, and bring them in gallon size (separate!) ziplock bags.

Products Discussed in

To Top