1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New TW Member Wanting an Opinion

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Porter, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    Hey Everyone, I recently ordered a 2012 DCLB 4x4 in white. After reading and re-reading posts after posts I finally have made up my mind on the build I'll be going for and I'm mainly needing some opinions on tires. Don't worry I'm not the type to post a question that's been asked a thousand times...I believe in researching 1st. Just to bring you guys up to speed on what I'm going w/ so far so you'll get an idea of what type of tire I should consider. I'm going to be copying :eek: Oz-T's build and Cogg89. Basically the full OME kit w/ Dakars and some UCA ( haven't decided on which one yet ).

Currently I live in Vegas, but in May I'll be moving to Sedona, AZ. so I'm not sure what tire you guys might think I should consider. I mostly mtb a lot and enjoy camping but nothing too bat shit crazy as far as off roading goes. These forums have really been an incredible tool in helping me research and find what I'm looking for. Here's a few questions I'm sure some of you can help shed some light on for me.

1) I'm planing on keeping my stock TRD sport wheels but would like to paint them black. Any suggestions on type of paint? or would I be better to sell them and buy something else?

2) I'm going to go w/ a tire around 32". Thinking of a 265/70-17 but what brand? Looking at something like a Toyo Open Country MT or Hankook Dynapros. My main question is which tires work best in this part of the country. I understand that area does get some decent amounts of snow so should this be a factor in the tires I'm looking for or does that area really not get that much snow to worry about?

Sorry for the wall of text, but I rather that make one post than ask a ton of questions in a bunch of threads :)

2. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Dynapro MT's or ATm ?

3. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    Whoa that was a fast reply :) ! Oz, I was "leaning" towards the MT tire, but would an AT tread better suite me for that area?

4. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    surferkid

surferkid Zombie Killer

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4 2.7 5spd
    camper, thule board racks, wet okole seat covers, AFE dry filter, smittybilt light bar
    if your not a fan of the BFGs i would get the dynapros they are a good tire but bfgs have won the most baja races and my last set on my old 4runner lasted 65000 miles

5. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I have no experience with your other tire choice , and I have the Hankook MT's . If I was to buy Hankooks again , I think I would go for the ATm .

I really like the MT's , but they aren't awesome on snow and because they are E rated 10 ply tires they are pretty stiff .

6. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    Thanks for the reply Surferkid. I have no issues at all w/ the BFG's. The mileage you get from them is appealing for sure. Which model you think I should look at? The AT?

Oz, see this is why you get paid the big bucks... I didn't even think to look at the Load Range.

7. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Ya , the MT's only come in a 10 ply E rated

8. Nov 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM
    surferkid

surferkid Zombie Killer

Member:
    San Marcos, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4 2.7 5spd
    camper, thule board racks, wet okole seat covers, AFE dry filter, smittybilt light bar
    yeah the all terrains are really good and there are different ratings you can get them in i know that for sure they look really aggressive too

9. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    Thank you both for your help

10. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:43 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    If you're copying OZ-T does this mean your going to buy a Relentless Fabrication aluminum bumper and store it in your garage forever?

11. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    IMG_0096.jpgIMG_0096.jpgHeh, nah I'm going to go w/ the new N-Fab bar that was on display at SEMA yesterday....got a pass from a friend so we went and checked it all out. Let me see if I can post a pic of it.

12. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    your going to spend 3 grand on some led lights? fff that.

i would get some bfg all terrains.... but i would listen to oz best for snow cause im from mesa az, and have only been in snow in my truck once lol

13. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Blow me

14. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    Lights..rows of lights like these were ALL over the place. I believe you're going to see a lot stuff like this coming to the consumers this year. Some of the lights were really small and just attach to existing hardware. IIMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg'll post a pic of a jeep where you can see the small lights on the corners or the rear rack.

15. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    What is your goal with the tires? I am familiar with snow tires, and I at least know which ones are no good. I don't think that Vegas gets much snow if any at all? :notsure:

16. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    3 grand? Haha not hardly..sometimes it's not what ya know but who ya know. Hmmm, wonder what "friend" got me into SEMA;)

17. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    HI Memario, and thanks for your reply. I'm moving to Sedona, AZ soon and was lead to believe that area gets a pretty good amount of snow during the year. I'm a chef but likely won't be able to afford to live in Sedona but rather up in Flagstaff. I'm just wondering if I'll need more of an AT tire to be able to do some off roading but still be able to safley commute during the winter.

18. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Pulled from Wiki:
    The annual snowfall averages 100.3 inches (255 cm), placing Flagstaff among the snowiest incorporated cities in the United States. Overall, the city enjoys an average of 276 days without precipitation each year. Although snow often covers the ground for weeks after major winter storms, Flagstaff's relatively low latitude and plentiful winter sunshine quickly melt much of what falls, and persistent deep snowpack is unusual.

So if you want to run one single tire year round, I would recommend something along the lines of an AT tire. One that will give you decent offroad capability while still giving you a decent contact patch come winter. How hard are you looking to wheel?

19. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:

Dats wut I sed

20. Nov 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    Porter

Porter [OP] Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB 4x4
    Just ordered truck
    Hi Coastal, I'm actually headed into work in a few hours and just don't have the time to make it back down again ( although I really wish I could have ). Reflecting on the cost of these, yeah I'm sure they will still be expensive as hell and I can't afford to do it anytime soon. It's one of those items I saw and just kinda stopped me in my tracks:). Between the new truck and the lift w/ tires, well lets just say I'm glad I can eat for free. I imagine my mod after the tires and lift might be wheels or a top for the rear...but again that's a bit down the road for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top